Opening the new arena

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Opening the new arena

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:08 pm

I know this is a long way off and that it is nowhere near our top priority as a program right now. But it's still fun to think about, especially considering how excited I am about opening a new arena which will be as much of an improvement over the BenJo as the BenJo was over Andrew's Field House. I woukd love to see us open the arena by bringing in a big time foe...Michigan, Indana, Arkansas, Georgetown, etc. (NOT the Tiggers or Lamecocks though- Terrier fans would be outnumbered). In order to do that, would might well have to agree to a 2 for 1 with one of these big schools...we play at their place the next two seasons in exchange for them opening up our new arena in 2017-18. But that's fine...let's do it! Could you imagine the excitement and atmosphere? Wofford opens up the new Jerry Richrdson Indoor Stadium by playing host to the Indiana Hoosiers! When the BenJo opened up in 1981, we hosted The Citadel in its first game, which back then was a really big deal for us as an NAIA school to bring in to our place for a game. Richard Johnson was playing for The Citadel that evening, so I'm sure he remembers it very well. It just wouldn't be the same if we opened the JRIS with Virginia-Wise or PC.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Opening the new arena

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Honestly, with a nice new arena as we're getting. We're gonna pack the place regardless. I'd love to see a conference opponent.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 pm

youngterrier wrote:Honestly, with a nice new arena as we're getting. We're gonna pack the place regardless. I'd love to see a conference opponent.

A conference opponent would be better than PC or a sub-D1 for sure. That could probably be arranged with the SoCon schedulers. Otherwise, if bringing in a Big 5 conference opponent is not doable maybe we could bring in Davidson...they'd still be a good name opponent.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:42 pm

I've thought about this several times since the announcement. I agree that it should be a "significant" opponent and not a smaller school. I wouldn't like to see us play a conference opponent because I think a November conference game is too soon. I'd much rather see us work some kinks out before we see those guys. I suppose former conference foes (Davidson or Charleston) are possibilities, but it seems that they've mentally "moved on", so I think we should too. South Carolina and Clemson are possibilities, but only if the ticket situation is controlled.

I would favor a power 5 conference opponent with some significant tradition. This will be a big moment for us and serious thought (and Dollars) need to be put into making it come off correctly. As a kid I was at the first game in WCU's Ramsay Center. They played (and almost beat) NC State and shortly thereafter they hosted Kansas, too. After what happened last month, the Wolfpack might not want to do the honors, but if we still have a decent RPI when the time comes, we should be able to find an opponent worthy of helping us christen the JRIS.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:38 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I've thought about this several times since the announcement. I agree that it should be a "significant" opponent and not a smaller school. I wouldn't like to see us play a conference opponent because I think a November conference game is too soon. I'd much rather see us work some kinks out before we see those guys. I suppose former conference foes (Davidson or Charleston) are possibilities, but it seems that they've mentally "moved on", so I think we should too. South Carolina and Clemson are possibilities, but only if the ticket situation is controlled.

I would favor a power 5 conference opponent with some significant tradition. This will be a big moment for us and serious thought (and Dollars) need to be put into making it come off correctly. As a kid I was at the first game in WCU's Ramsay Center. They played (and almost beat) NC State and shortly thereafter they hosted Kansas, too. After what happened last month, the Wolfpack might not want to do the honors, but if we still have a decent RPI when the time comes, we should be able to find an opponent worthy of helping us christen the JRIS.

The Gamecocks probably have not forgotten their last visit to Wofford.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:49 am

I suspect they have not.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50