I bet you weren't aware of all of our "dirty play"

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

I bet you weren't aware of all of our "dirty play"

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:40 am

Sometime I like to look at other teams' message boards to see what they have to say about us. And I have to say that a lot of it is not complimentary. A lot of folks are not that fond of us. That's OK. I guess that comes with the territory when you have some success. They make fun of our gym. That's OK too. We win in it and it gives us a nice home court advantage, and besides all that, we are getting a new one. But one thing I don't like is when they accuse our players and coach of foul or dirty play. ETSU and WCU in particular complained that we got away with a lot of questionaable tactics and overly physical play. I call BS and they know it's BS when they type it. They are just whining. I can't help but wonder if some of these folks are still bitter about that rejection letter they once got from Wofford College back in the day. They are certainly living in the past at any rate. To them we are still an NAIA school that they should beat into submission. When we lost a lot of games in the past I never once blamed it on another team's "dirty play". I knew it was simply because we needed to get better and that's what I (perhaps even too bluntly) said. They need to just accept that we have a better team than they do right now in the present and that they need to do some work to catch up with us in the future. But mainly they need to stop trying to create some false image of us as a dirty team because really nothing could be farther from the truth. Our guys play hard but they always play clean. And they are good guys and good students who actually graduate, unlike a lot of the players at some schools...cough, ETSU, cough, WCU, cough. I know my little rant might not really have been necessary, but I feel better now for posting it!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: I bet you weren't aware of all of our "dirty play"

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 pm

It's part of being Terriers. We're the dog that shouldn't win. We have to be tougher, more durable and smarter than our opponents. We play "old school" football and basketball. We line up and look 'em in the face and play defense; and most "modern" style teams HATE it. They would prefer to play AAU/All Star Game defense and run up and down the court. Lock down defense isn't pretty to watch, but it is effective. Then when our opponents lose they want to blame it on anything other than the fact that they just got whipped straight up. Love it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I don't read the other message boards but if teams are complaining because we are overly physical...I love it. It's like the school kid complaining to mommy that the boys are playing too rough. Hopefully they'll still be complaining about how physical we were when they watch us cut down the nets in Asheville and when they are cheering for us in the NCAA tournament. As far as playing dirty, Mike Young is one if the classiest people I have ever known. He coaches the right way. It's basketball. It is a physical game. They are complaining because we are winning and I love it.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Other schools wouldn't hate is if they were continuing to beat us. I love it that other teams hate playing us. I love it that they try to make fun of is. I love it that we are seen as "dirty". It is a fact hat the most aggressive physical teams win.
So if they do (and I am beginning to see evidence too that is the case), GO TERRIERS!!!!!!!!!
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 pm

We play physical and that's all there is to it. When Spencer Collins first started out as a terrier, he said the difference between high school and college basketball (he was shooting at a Kobe Bryant level in Easley with like 30 ppg) is the physicality.

also, what made beating Mercer even better was that their students got on the yik yak app for Wofford and started talking mad smack before and during the game...Wofford students answered the call.

As far as us having a bad gym or whatever, it's already been said that we're getting a new one but in some ways the Benjo works for Wofford. It's our own shtick, something special that not other schools have. Kind of like what GSU used to do with the school buses to away games. Attendance is up this year also, and I think it's going to be even more up if we sweep next week going into chattanooga.

We've only been 12-0 on a season once before and that was the D2 days. Hopefully we'll pull that out again against Chattanooga.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:56 pm

I think this might all work to our advantage in that we are starting to be in the heads of teams before they even step on the court with us. They know they are going to be in for a tough physical battle and that we are going to make them defend and they hate it. They are psyched out a bit and that could affect their performance.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 pm

smash mouth basketball, plain and simple. We take our time, work the shot, pass the ball around and shoot. Our shorter guys hustle for rebounds (notice how many Cochran had last night) than their taller guys. The only thing dirty we got is our FT percentage.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Has anybody found a Mercer message board?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 pm

I have not and I've searched for weeks
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Hobo wrote:Has anybody found a Mercer message board?

I found two but there's not a whole lot of recent basketball activity on either one of them...and nothing about their game with us.

http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=327
http://mubeardown.com
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks, guys ^ that's what I found too
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Other schools wouldn't hate is if they were continuing to beat us. I love it that other teams hate playing us. I love it that they try to make fun of is. I love it that we are seen as "dirty". It is a fact hat the most aggressive physical teams win.
So if they do (and I am beginning to see evidence too that is the case), GO TERRIERS!!!!!!!!!
. Let's let Furman win most Christ like
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball