ETSU 1-24

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: ETSU 1-24

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Henson made the valid point that as long as the player is still on the court then you should still guard him whether he is talking to his coach or not. If you are not guarding him he could break free for a pass and an easy bucket. If Bartow wanted to talk to him he should have taken him off of the court.
Loyalterrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:30 pm

"An old Mercer trick". Mercer, the team that won the A-Sun over his squad last year. It sounds like Bartow has some jealousy issues about teams that have recently beaten him and had more recent success than him. This may be a bit of a sour grapes thing. He was probably POed that Spencer had locked his guy down defensively all night. And I agree that when you're playing man to man defense as we always do, if your man is on the court, you must stay with him. I'm sure that's what all our guys are coached up to do. It's part of playing great defense. And if Bartow needed to talk to his guy in private so badly, then he should have called time out and talked to him in a bench huddle where there would be no chance of any Wofford folks hearing him. Finally, the SoCon may want to look at suspending him a game for touching Spencer...it is never acceptable for a coach to put his hands on an opposing player.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 pm

What Bartow failed to acknowledge is that he kept bringing his players (at one point four players huddled up with him) over to the bench during free throws and essentially getting extra time outs. I know this goes on some but I've never seen a team do it as much or take as much time with the non- shooting players. It was very noticeable and the refs never said anything to him. Spencer was just guarding the guy as he should. Coach Young had every reason to be upset for Bartow's conduct. Refs should have put a stop to it before it got out of hand which it did. Ultimately it worked to our advantage as it really got the crowd fired up and they were pretty much done after that. With that said ETSU is dangerous. They played very aggressive D in the second half. We got a bit sloppy but the better team won. Should never have been that close. Hopefully Garcia will get back to near 100% by Thursday because he's not there yet.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:12 pm

An opposing coach never ever SPEAKS to an opposing player much less TOUCHES him and a SHOVE is grounds for a multiple game suspension (and maybe a butt whipping). Bartow is the one with no class or respect, and his team seems to be just like him. The SoCon doesn't this ASun league crap. I hope MY and RJ really hound the league on this.
I am telling you guys: this is BS and needs to be addressed.
I guess ETSU is the new Georgia Southern.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Ruckus wrote:An opposing coach never ever SPEAKS to an opposing player much less TOUCHES him and a SHOVE is grounds for a multiple game suspension (and maybe a butt whipping).

Agreed on all counts. I didn't see the game, so I won't act like I'm an expert on this, but speaking to our player is a tacky move, touching (much less shoving) him is a classless, overly aggressive move that represents a lack of respect and class. Again, I can't say what happened, but those are my thoughts on what has been reported.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:48 pm

On the lighter side of things, ETSU has a player with one of the best names in college basketball, Peter Jerkin. He is a transfer from Indiana who is sitting this season out. He will be on the floor for the Bucs next season. He just might be a target of some opposing student sections.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:On the lighter side of things, ETSU has a player with one of the best names in college basketball, Peter Jerkin. He is a transfer from Indiana who is sitting this season out. He will be on the floor for the Bucs next season. He just might be a target of some opposing student sections.

Looking at the roster the other day I was very disappointed when this player didn't play.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 am

YT- Forewarned is Forearmed! Preparing for Peter next year will be fun. Creativity for years has been the standard for the great student basketball venues.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 am

Actually Peter looks like he could be a very good addition for ETSU. You don't get too many 7 footers in the SoCon:

http://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/ros ... er-jurkin/
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:03 pm

My personal dream is Furman somehow making it to the Socon championship so the student body can heckle beans again
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm

That was funny. The students got on Mr. Beans pretty good. Have to give him credit. He played decent despite fouling out.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball