UNCG Thursday

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

UNCG Thursday

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:29 pm

There's an Alumni event in the Greensboro Coliseum before the game. Hope we have some folks there to see our guys. UNCG can be just about anything at any game. It will be interesting.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: UNCG Thursday

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:32 pm

I hate that big empty gym. They have the atmosphere of an insurance seminar up there. We will have to create our own energy to be sure. On the plus side, UNCG has the weakest home court advantage in the conference.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Pregame event starts at 6 p.m. at Nattie Greene's Bar inside Greensboro Coliseum.

Show Your Terrier Pride
at the Wofford vs. UNCG Pregame Event!

Socialize with your fellow Terrier fans and enjoy appetizers and a cash bar (drink specials available) before cheering Wofford on to victory against UNC Greensboro!
Wofford vs. UNCG Pregame Event
Thursday January 29, 2015
6:00 p.m. - end of game
Natty Green's Bar inside Greensboro Coliseum
1921 W. Lee Street | Greensboro, SC 27403
Buy game tickets using this link!
Please note: Because the pregame event is inside the Coliseum, you must have a game ticket to attend. If you have not already, please purchase tickets using the link above, and also register in advance for the pregame event using the button below:

*When registering, please specify that you will be attending the UNCG pregame event.
Questions? Contact the Wofford Alumni Office at 864-597-4185.

WOFFORD COLLEGE
429 N. Church Street | Spartanburg, SC 29303 | United States | 864-597-4000
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 pm

I'll be in attendance- first game of the season. UNCG stayed with UTC tonight in Chattanooga so we must continue to play our game. We took our foot off the gas, stopped getting offensive rebounds and Riley woke up in the 2nd half tonight. Fortunately, UNCG doesn't have the kind of scorers like we faced tonight but we still must have our defense dictate the tempo of the game, especially on the road.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Looking at the upcoming schedule, this is a game we really need to make sure we get. After UNCG, we have Mercer in a game where we may not enjoy our usual home court advantage as many students may be off campus and Mercer may be bringing some fan buses down from what I hear. Then we have to go to VMI, which won't be easy, and then we have the rematch with ETSU up in Johnson City. I'm sure our guys remember the last game of the regular season last year when UNCG came into the BenJo and upset us on our senior night, so they won't take the Spartans lightly and wil be looking for a bit of payback.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Yeah, the students last night surpassed my expectations, I thought it would be a so-so showing but it was somewhat comparable to the Furman game. With that said, though I will be in attendance for the Mercer game I don't anticipate nearly as many students being there because of the interim break. I could be mistaken though.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:50 pm

YT, the players were tweeting out thank you's to the students and supporters for showing last night. Maybe a movement can be started to get students back on Sat for the game and fun before the new semester starts. This team is really building support, and that can only bode well for Wofford in general.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:31 pm

It's just that that weekend is hit or miss when it comes to people being on campus. I remember my freshmen year (I'm a junior currently) campus was dead, but last year a few people stay. We'll just have to see what happens.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Coach Young let his personality show a little in the radio show tonight. It was fun. Jaylen Allen was the player interview and did a good job. I think all are concerned with attendance on Saturday night. Lennie said that there are rumors that bus loads of students will come from Mercer, and even their cheerleaders. We need to show up. I think a drive down to the Sparkle City is in order. Any suggestions on a neat place to eat ahead of the game?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Boulder, if you haven't eaten at Wade's (and I think you have), it is great real food. A mile from campus. And get rolls and a pecan pie to go.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Ike's is always a solid choice as well. Pimento cheeseburger really hits the spot along with $1 PBR.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:11 pm

boulder3m wrote:Coach Young let his personality show a little in the radio show tonight. It was fun. Jaylen Allen was the player interview and did a good job. I think all are concerned with attendance on Saturday night. Lennie said that there are rumors that bus loads of students will come from Mercer, and even their cheerleaders. We need to show up. I think a drive down to the Sparkle City is in order. Any suggestions on a neat place to eat ahead of the game?

Well, let's send a memo down to Mercer that our gym is much smaller than theirs (which it is) and that we don't anticipate being able to accomodate busloads of students from their university and cannot guarantee they'll all get tickets. That might help. Or better yet, offer them all free a-plenty combos at The Beacon before the game. They'll probably end up so sick they won't be able to come! Wade's is an excellent choice for a pregame restaurant by the way. I also like Golden Corrall on the west side of town near where I live. The Beacon, um, not so much as you might have surmised. Oh, and we need to offer a discount promotion in the Herald-Journal for the Mercer game to entice the community to come out to it. Perhaps a canned food drive where a couple of cans of food gets you a discounted ticket, or a coupon for a discounted ticket in the paper or available to print online from goupstate.com, or a $1 ticket promotion like we had for the Charleston Southern game. Anything to increase the number of Wofford supporters and drown out any would-be Mercer support.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 pm

From what I can find (and again, this has nothing to do with the UNCG game) there is a sign-up sheet on the Mercer student section twitter account for a bus ride to our place Saturday. It's a $50 student fee or something. As for how many people for them will show up, who knows, but I think our attendance will be better now because the word is getting out that we need to pack the house. We'll just see how that plays out.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, we've kind of gotten off topic in this thread. I'm quite sure it doesn't mean that we're looking past UNCG. I know I'm notand more importantly, I'm sure Mike Young and the team aren't either. But anyway, that $50 fee will probably be a deterrent for quite a few. For many college students, who are not known for being rich, a $50 fee is much better than the tongue in cheek deterrants for Mercer that I came up with. I guess I was getting a bit concerned because I didn't want Mercer taking over our gym the way GSU took over our football stadium for that playoff game. It's looking like it probably won't happen though.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:34 pm

To get this thing back on topic, UNCG has some talent and they played Chattanooga pretty tough at their place in an 81-72 loss. The Spartans were in that one for much of it. So we are going to have to play well to win up there and stick to our game and play that Wofford defense.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball