N.C. State, 12/14

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: N.C. State, 12/14

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 am

Great article/box/video. Defense and rebounding. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2014/12 ... ath=mbball
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierbob.2 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 am

Replay of game available on Espn3 (watchESPN).
Terrierbob.2

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Wins like this coupled with the announcement of our new gym ought to be big positives for recruiting. However, wins like this may also make it harder to hang onto our coach? Although I'm guessing MY is especially glad he decided to stay for this special group of young men. They seem to play with an heir of destiny to them. Regardless, a signature win that only helps raise our profile.
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:29 pm

..........and to think he was mere minutes away from being the next CoC coach had he not withdrawn his name from consideration.
I personally doubt we will hang onto MY much longer. People are starting to pay attention to us and our upward trajectory as a legit mid-major program. I would not however put us on the level of Butler, Gonzaga, or Wichita St. It sure would be nice to make a little run in the NCAA tourney though (assuming we win the SoCon tourney which is not a given).
As for comparisons, it is hard to say this team is better than the Minn. Wrecking Crew and Co., or the best we have ever had. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. But I love how we play so confidently within our offensive sets/system and especially how we flat work our butts off on the defensive end. The fact is we didn't shoot it well v NCSU (from the field or FT line) and still found a way to win. Bodes well for us down the line.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:29 pm

One step, one play, one game at a time.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Looking forward to the Mike Young show that is starting right now
http://www.davidsonmediagroup.com/playe ... layer.html
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Ruckus wrote:..........and to think he was mere minutes away from being the next CoC coach had he not withdrawn his name from consideration.
I personally doubt we will hang onto MY much longer. People are starting to pay attention to us and our upward trajectory as a legit mid-major program. I would not however put us on the level of Butler, Gonzaga, or Wichita St. It sure would be nice to make a little run in the NCAA tourney though (assuming we win the SoCon tourney which is not a given).
As for comparisons, it is hard to say this team is better than the Minn. Wrecking Crew and Co., or the best we have ever had. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. But I love how we play so confidently within our offensive sets/system and especially how we flat work our butts off on the defensive end. The fact is we didn't shoot it well v NCSU (from the field or FT line) and still found a way to win. Bodes well for us down the line.

I also do not think we are at the level of Butler, Gonzaga, Wichita State yet. We have not had enough sustained success or won any NCAA tournament games. The weakness of the SoCon- this season so far anyway- will probably not help us in our seeding if we get to the tourney again this season. so that is going to make it tougher. But the NC State win could help us some. I definitely think we are heading in the direction of becoming a well known mid-major power and I definitely think we will get there! And if I were Mike Young, I would be much too excited about the future of this program to go anywhere else (especially somewhere that could fire me a couple of years later). Money isn't everything, and he and his family should be on very solid terms fanancially anyway.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Back to the Granite State after a fantastic weekend in Raleigh! Let's see: visit with family, meet Lawdog (!!!!) and talk all things Wofford with him and some alums from our adjacent eras plus students and staff, watch the Terriers display grit/"never give up" mentality and depart Reynolds Coliseum with a HUGE win. WOW...my early Christmas presents. :D

The game offered national exposure via Top Play #6 on ESPN Sports Center Top 10 this morning as Spencer Collins drove for an uncontested layup and had the shot blocked from behind. (That Wolfpack player had 5 blocks; impressive!) ESPN announcer finally said, "Wofford won by 1 point" at end of clip- sort of hum drum.

Snapped some pics close to our basket in 2H; the lane was not for the timid; yet, no nasty stuff. (Though Anya attempted to get in Lee's face after a foul and LS did not back down.) Some NCSU fans lashed out at Referee Hess for most of the game (he called the T on Gottfried @4 minute mark; Hess and NCSU fans have a love-hate affair dating back to 3 years ago when he ejected 2 former Wolfpack stars who were mere spectators at a Florida State - NC State game.) On a couple of instances where we outhustled/outpositioned them for rebounds, several Wolfpack students and faithful screamed unpleasantries for a foul vs. just realizing we made good plays.

Ending was incredible! From the shot at buzzer and entire NCSU team dashing all over the court and under Wofford's basket (nearly running over people on the baseline) to the reaction/shock of Red, White and Black nation when the shot was disallowed. The Old Gold and Black crowd rejoiced! We were loud and proud. Amazing...

Indeed...a "Helluva win" to quote Coach Young; =D> =D> =D> however, Terriers need to focus on Wednesday and be ready for Chas. Southern.

Let's Go T-Dogs!
WoCo NH Dude

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Wolfpack beat Tenn last night 83-72...Our win there continues to look better.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:13 pm

State with the HUGE upset over Duke this afternoon. That win should pay increasing dividends for seeding purposes if we make it to the postseason.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 am

Yes. One of the articles I saw estimated that State would jump to around #31 in the RPI based on this win. And that's against what currently is the #7 strength of schedule in the country. Granted, that will change based on their forthcoming performance, but for now, that gutty win in Raleigh looks really good for our Terriers.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:58 pm

Good job, Wolfpack, defeating North Carolina tonight
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Hobo wrote:Good job, Wolfpack, defeating North Carolina tonight

Great win for State and a good result for Wofford. Our RPI should tick up a bit along with the Wolfpack's. If the Terriers can make it through the SoCon tournament (no guarantee, but we've got as good a shot as anyone) they should have a really good seed waiting for them. Most projections recently have showed us as a #12 and this will only bolster that. Now our guys just need to continue the one-at-a-time grind.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball