Mercer in Top 25

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mercer in Top 25

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Mercer is in the Baseball America Top 25:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... -april-28/

Anybody got a read on ETSU/VMI programs? Could the SOCON be a stronger baseball league with the departures and additions?
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Re: Mercer in Top 25

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Losing Elon and CoC hurts the SoCon significantly as both are top programs (and App and GSU are no patsies either). But Mercer is obviously ranked higher than either. ETSU and VMI aren't bad but not great (22-20 and 21-19). I think it's a net loss but not by too much thanks to the strength of Mercer.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Okay, let's be logical for a minute. The stronger the conference gets, the harder it will be for Wofford to win. Since we already struggle, why would anyone want to see the conference get even stronger? I think that's sadistic. I'm all for the conference getting weaker at this point because we need that kind of help. We are in over our heads already. Do you want to drown completely?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:Okay, let's be logical for a minute. The stronger the conference gets, the harder it will be for Wofford to win. Since we already struggle, why would anyone want to see the conference get even stronger? I think that's sadistic. I'm all for the conference getting weaker at this point because we need that kind of help. We are in over our heads already. Do you want to drown completely?

VMI's football experience suggests that you can't rebuild a program by playing lesser competition.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 am

I think you can attract players to a program with the hope of playing higher caliber teams. I'm not saying that is the secret to bringing in players, but you may occasionally snag a solid player who was considering a DIV 2 or NAIA team but wants to be able to say he played this or that team when having beers with friends ten or twenty years later. You can't tell me that our win over USC a few years back is not motivational.
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby ARTerrier on Sun May 11, 2014 12:27 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:Okay, let's be logical for a minute. The stronger the conference gets, the harder it will be for Wofford to win. Since we already struggle, why would anyone want to see the conference get even stronger? I think that's sadistic. I'm all for the conference getting weaker at this point because we need that kind of help. We are in over our heads already. Do you want to drown completely?

This is a great point. The tougher play becomes, the farther back we may drop.
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball