General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

This Is Scary

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: This Is Scary

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 pm

I understand Converse has cut several programs and a couple of majors as well as sizable cut in tuition. I honestly don't know what is going on at Wofford. I know the tuition continues to creep upward yearly, and student assistance does not meet those increases. I suspect the stuff we have seen with Ayers and salary this winter is indicative of the whole structure with faculty and staff underpaid. On top of that, there are buildings and infrastructure that need to be built or revitalized.

Higher education is seeing the same kind of stresses that the church and denominations are experiencing.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:59 am

I've heard Wofford was about 20 freshmen short of our enrollment goal in the fall. That doesn't sound bad until you figure it represents about a million dollars income, and there is almost no added expense for the college to service these 20 students.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Yep, heard they missed their number last year. Not good. Big economic impact on finances. Admission is probably under a lot of pressure this year as a result.
This whole economic situation is very tenuous for schools like Wofford. Life, at least from an economic aspect, as we have come to know it has changed dramatically.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:50 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/20 ... ads-index/ We continue to travel in some pretty good company.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Quite frankly, I don't understand why Wofford wants to grow so fast. Last year, during the housing lottery there were over 100 students in the sophomore class wait-listed for housing.

Wofford is always going to get students, they aren't going to have the problems of converse, but they should still definitely rethink the way they do things.

I personally think President Samhat is going to do a good job
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat May 03, 2014 6:38 am

Just heard admissions hit it out of the park. 2014 incoming class will be largest class ever = 475 (plus maybe a few more).
Aside from some of our personal opinions that smaller/slower growth may be preferable, This is really good news for the College. This puts the budget way ahead of last year (by a million or more).
As for Samhat, I am continuing to be impressed by him. He is accessible, personable, energetic and seems pretty normal for a academician. My oldest daughter is starting to consider colleges (Jeez, am I old or what?) and we took her to the spring open house last weekend. I was very impressed. Brand Stille and Scott Cochran were really good. As for my daughter, she seems to want to be a short haired dog (with fingers firmly crossed and bank account soon to be depleted). We shall see.......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat May 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Pres. Samhat's wife is a huge asset too - ball of energy and charm. Congrats to your daughter, Ruck.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed May 07, 2014 8:15 pm

WOW. Ten teams honored (Furman, by comparison, had three; Clemson and USC, one each).
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/ ... th=general
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed May 07, 2014 9:26 pm

lawdog wrote:WOW. Ten teams honored (Furman, by comparison, had three; Clemson and USC, one each).
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/ ... th=general

Among Division I schools in the state of South Carolina, Wofford led the way with ten teams, followed by College of Charleston with four, Furman with three, and Presbyterian College with two. Clemson, South Carolina, Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State, and Winthrop each had one team recognized.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

#12 out of 243 (second chart, "Highest to Lowest"), between Cornell and Brown.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... a-football
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations