Bracketology

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Bracketology

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 am

Joe Lunardi has us playing in Dayton in the first four against Alabama State, and then facing undefeated Wichita State if we win. Personally, I hope we are in the First 4. It gives us a great chance to win an NCAA tournament game and net another quarter million dollars for the SoCon. And if we end up facing a #1 seed, I look at it as a grand opportunity. We have a chance to be the first ever 16 seed to beat a 1, something that would make the name Wofford famous for years into the future!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Bracketology

Postby boulder3m on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 am

Ask Wisconsin and BYU whether they want to play Wofford in the first round! If I were a top seed, the last thing I would want to do is play a team that plays defense like our guys.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:25 am

boulder3m wrote:Ask Wisconsin and BYU whether they want to play Wofford in the first round! If I were a top seed, the last thing I would want to do is play a team that plays defense like our guys.

Yep! With our defense, we can stay in games with most anyone. Bring on the Shockers!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 am

This team right now is playing better D than any team we have ever had. We have also never had better team chemistry.

And one stat that Thom or Mark mentioned tonight stood out: in the last nine games, Garcia has 38 assists and FOUR turnovers.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 am

I'd be happy with Alabama State in a play-in game. The chance to win a game and then face a #1 seed that will no doubt be looking past us would be great.

Athletics aside, this is a huge deal for Wofford. Over the next week and a half we will get all sorts of exposure we couldn't buy for any price.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am

Obviously, starting 3-7 doesn't help us with seeding, although a 17-5 record after that should help.

I wonder if we actually gain anything by playing Emory and Henry, Johnson and Wales,and Hiwassee.

On the other hand, a play-in game is better than the NIT
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby The Cats on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:51 am

Congrats on the win.

If you are going to draw a #16 seed anyway, the first round games (play in) could be a good deal. If the Terriers are put in the play in round, a win there earns $250k for the conference. Then moving on to play in the regular 1st round would earn the conference another $250k. So a win in the playin round means at least $500k for the conference. If you can beat a #1 seed, then the sky's the limit.

So, I see nothing but a positive for Wofford and the SoCon if you are placed in the "First Four" games. A win in the NCAA is a win, first round or last round. Good Luck
The Cats
Junior Terrier

Postby Denise on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:31 am

Go Dawgs!
Denise

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 am

The Cats wrote:Congrats on the win.

If you are going to draw a #16 seed anyway, the first round games (play in) could be a good deal. If the Terriers are put in the play in round, a win there earns $250k for the conference. Then moving on to play in the regular 1st round would earn the conference another $250k. So a win in the playin round means at least $500k for the conference. If you can beat a #1 seed, then the sky's the limit.

So, I see nothing but a positive for Wofford and the SoCon if you are placed in the "First Four" games. A win in the NCAA is a win, first round or last round. Good Luck

I can't really agree with your last sentence. A win in the last round is much better than one in the first! But keeping expectations at least somewhat realistic, I agree with everything else. Thanks a lot for the congrats. WCU was a very tough out and though I know just how disappointed you players, school, and fans are, you gave it a great effort and should also be proud; it was a great championship game with both teams really leaving everything out on the floor. I remember WCU's trip to the Dance back in 1996. The Cats drew a 16 seed and lead by a stud named Frankie King, they came closer than any 16 has ever come before to knocking off a 1 seed (a Purdue team that I think featured the Big Dog Glenn Robinsion). I was rooting hard for WCU that evening and was very disappointed they came up short. But they repped the SoCon extremely well. I am quite sure that we, no matter who we ultimately end up playing, will do the same, as we have twice before. And again, as a 16 seed, Wofford basketball has the chance of a lifetime to forever stamp their name into NCAA basketball history...and just think what that would do for the basketball program and also the school as a whole.

As a side note, the three games against non D1 competition are completely ignored when it comes to figuring RPI, seeding, etc. They do not count at all.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball