Furman baseball losing scholarships

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Furman baseball losing scholarships

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:35 pm

I just saw a tweet that FU is cutting baseball scholarships. First golf and now this...what is up with that?
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Furman baseball losing scholarships

Postby walliver on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:I just saw a tweet that FU is cutting baseball scholarships. First golf and now this...what is up with that?

I guess they have to pay for that field turf somehow. :D

I suspect the golf and baseball cuts are to pay for their lacrosse team.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Financial Trouble for Furman Athletics?

Postby Greenville T-Dog Fan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am

On WYFF tonight, they announced that Furman was going to be reducing scholarships for baseball and this was after announcing the elimination (I think) of scholarships for golf. In the news piece they said that this was after they just completed their multi-million dollar football stadium upgrade and after they added men's and women's lacrosse. They also mentioned that women's softball may be next for cuts. I know that these are not "money" sports and probably don't draw a lot of alumni donations but still not a good sign for them. I wonder if the football upgrade campaign drained donor dollars away from the general athletic donations?
Greenville T-Dog Fan
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 am

But Rhett, Fuh-man is the country club of the South. Whatever will they do without a golf team? No Southern country club that I'm aware of doesn't have golf. I'm afraid they will just have to, how do you say it, restructure their admissions pitch.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Translation: Furman is chasing Yankee admission dollars.
Baseball and golf by in large don't attract the children of privilege north of the Mason-Dixon.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Greenville T-Dog Fan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Just not good PR, because WYFF's tag line in the news piece was......"Furman Athletics' Financial Troubles Continue".........I know that we don't have the nicest facilities and don't have as many scholarships in some sports as some of our counterparts but I never want to turn on the news and hear something like that about our Terriers.
Greenville T-Dog Fan
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 pm

I totally agree. We made a hige jump from D2 to D1AA, and the administration knew it would be a financial burden for many years. We seem to be doing it right, and not trying to keep up with the Joneses. We handled business in the 2 biggest money sports (football and basketball), and then have turned our attention to our lesser revenue sports. While it may be frustrating to our baseball program, women's teams, etc, I'm sure our admins have a long term plan in place to get all of these programs to the proper level of full funding and top facilities. Since we don't have the endowment to take care of these programs in full all at once, we have to mo ve at a pace where we won't break the bank. I fully believe we are doing that. Of course, with more donations, fund-raising, etc, we will eventually get there.

As far as the Barneys are concerned, I hate that they are ridding themselves of Golf scholarships, as well as other athletic cuts. I think there was a rash decision to add lacrosse, and to start that program from scratch must be more than they envisioned. Hate it for the athletes/students that are affected.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby oldT-Dog on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 am

Women's lacrosse is coming to Wofford if administration gets approval. This is to comply w Title IX. I think we are being as prudent as possible, but things are tight in athletic departments all over the country. I think Furman's issues are just the beginning. If NCAA goes to "cost of attendance" it will create even more budget problems.

My hope is that if tough decisions have to be made, that Wofford handles them better than Furman. They have been playing golf there since 1930, and from what I'm reading the golf alumni had no idea this was even under consideration.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football