Elon @ Wofford 7pm

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Elon @ Wofford 7pm

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 pm

Huge game to start the SoCon schedule tonight.

Game Promotions:
New Year's special! $1.00 Coke products, Papa John's pizza slices and hot dogs!

"WEAR WOFFORD" - wear anything with "Wofford" on it and receive $1.00 admission.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:16 pm

Elon wins 64-61.

Turnovers, poor officiating and no outside shooting doomed the Terriers. It felt like Elon got away with murder most of the night but I'm sure it evened out (that last bit was sarcasm). At the end with Wofford trying to foul the ref even decided not to call one on them allowing Elon to run a bunch of time off the clock. Just sad. Oh well, dollar hotdogs were good and the team didn't quit even though Elon hit some big threes.

Time to head to Davidson.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gophoenix on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:17 am

"WEAR WOFFORD" - wear anything with "Wofford" on it and receive $1.00 admission.

That's an interesting way of doing it and I like it. I think I might suggest it to the Elon admins... it encourages people to wear the school colors, plus could get more of the locals and kids wearing Elon stuff.

As for officiating, were there any ACC or SEC games last night? I remember when we were in the Big South that we shared officials with them, the SEC, CAA and ACC ... if their were lots of "big" games that night, the lesser games would get the crappier refs.
gophoenix

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:04 am

gophoenix wrote:As for officiating, were there any ACC or SEC games last night? I remember when we were in the Big South that we shared officials with them, the SEC, CAA and ACC ... if their were lots of "big" games that night, the lesser games would get the crappier refs.

Beats me about the refs. Btw, I don't want to take away from the great defensive effort of Elon. Everytime a Wofford player got the ball on the perimeter there was always a defender in his face. Elon should make things interesting this year.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:52 am

Another typical Wofford performance...I have no idea why we can't seem to win the games we should, especially at home. No disrespect to Elon, but you can't play with one of the top teams in the big east like Notre Dame (took #20 pitt to 2 OT last night) one night and lose to the number 218 ranked team in the RPI three days later, at home, no less. Unlike our recent football success, the state of Wofford Basketball has never risen to a level of competitiveness that is expected in my mind. Clearly smaller schools have an easier time building a competitive team on the hardwood than on the gridiron, just look at Davidson. Heck, even Furman made it to the finals two years ago. Occasionally beating a sub par big conference school like Clemson or Auburn and then losing to Elon, The Citadel, Western Carolina, etc every year is uacceptable. I am the biggest Wofford fan around as my wife will attest to but I am tired of the same old inconsistency we have come to expect from our team every year. We shoudl expect more than 5-9 at this point in the year, considering this loss and two losses to East Carolina were wins we let get away. Is the Wofford faithful content with the inconsistency?
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby tom189 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:33 pm

I understand your frustation but consider that for the 3rd time in the last 4 years the Terriers enter the SOCOn portion of the schedule with the expected leading score hurt and out for the season. (Justin Stephens - Howard Wilkerson - Eric Marshall). That is hard for a small school to overcome where there aren't highly recruited NBA prospects on the bench. Remember when a certain ACC school had injury problems and the Coach came up with a back injury, blamed the lost year on his #1 assistant and fired him.
tom189

Postby tom189 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:37 pm

PSS. Also remember that Davidson, UNCG and Charleston have no budget problems because of no football. Its no secret why they are typically the best basketball teams. Davidson's recruiting budget is bigger than our entire budget - that is why they get so many top foreign kids. I saw the new SOCON commissioner's comments on expansion - they wiont ask me but if they did - i vote for making all the league schools field SOCON football teams to level the playing field.
tom189

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:44 pm

tom189 wrote:PSS. Also remember that Davidson, UNCG and Charleston have no budget problems because of no football. Its no secret why they are typically the best basketball teams. Davidson's recruiting budget is bigger than our entire budget - that is why they get so many top foreign kids. I saw the new SOCON commissioner's comments on expansion - they wiont ask me but if they did - i vote for making all the league schools field SOCON football teams to level the playing field.

I was typing up the same thing when I saw your post. It's hard to compete when the opposing coach can hop a plane and fly around the world to recruit a kid.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby ElonPride on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:00 pm

BossTerrier,

No offense taken.....but in our defense, we're not THAT bad of a team, but we've had trouble FINISHING games this year:

-Georgia Tech - 12 point loss
-UNCW (solid team, high RPI) 59-51 home loss
-IUPUI (decent RPI) Ovetime home loss
-IUPUI 1 point AWAY loss
-Buffalo (ranked #5 in the mid major polls) 1 point AWAY loss
-HPU (decent RPI) 2 point loss

AS you can see, all of those games (except for GT) were winnable games for Elon. According to the Sagarin, our SOS is 21. ONLY 4 points seperates our team from having 7-6 record right now. Instead we're sitting at 4-9. With our defense, if this team can learn to finish games (like at Clemson and at Wofford), then we will make this an interesting SoCon season. We have App coming to "The Nest" this weekend, so hopefully we can get on a roll!
ElonPride

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm

BestOfBreed wrote:
tom189 wrote:PSS. Also remember that Davidson, UNCG and Charleston have no budget problems because of no football. Its no secret why they are typically the best basketball teams. Davidson's recruiting budget is bigger than our entire budget - that is why they get so many top foreign kids. I saw the new SOCON commissioner's comments on expansion - they wiont ask me but if they did - i vote for making all the league schools field SOCON football teams to level the playing field.

I was typing up the same thing when I saw your post. It's hard to compete when the opposing coach can hop a plane and fly around the world to recruit a kid.

I can see your arguement, however, Doesn't explain why we are 4th or 5th in the southern div. every year. As stated, Furman made it to the finals of the tournament two years ago. UTC was the tournament champion last year, with a former Wofford Assistant as Head Coach, no less. Both have Football programs. The inconsistency of our team is what bothers me. We have the talent, and even without Marshall who hadn't been a factor anyway until this year, we should be winning games. We have two all SoCon forwards and a stud on the outside in Nichols, the MAAC freshman of the year two years ago! When wsas the last time Wofford had a great big man, let alone two? Talent is not the issue, it is focus of the players. How else do you explain the Clemson and Notre Dame games, but then we got completely blown out in the USC and Miami games, two teams with arguably less talent than Clem or ND. Remember also that Marshall went out in the Clemson game with 19 minutes left in the second half-not at the end of the game...and we still almost won-Just never know which Wofford team will show up...that is what I get tired of...inconsistent focus is why we don't win more games.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 pm

BossTerrier wrote:I can see your arguement, however, Doesn't explain why we are 4th or 5th in the southern div. every year. As stated, Furman made it to the finals of the tournament two years ago. UTC was the tournament champion last year, with a former Wofford Assistant as Head Coach, no less. Both have Football programs. The inconsistency of our team is what bothers me. We have the talent, and even without Marshall who hadn't been a factor anyway until this year, we should be winning games. We have two all SoCon forwards and a stud on the outside in Nichols, the MAAC freshman of the year two years ago! When wsas the last time Wofford had a great big man, let alone two? Talent is not the issue, it is focus of the players. How else do you explain the Clemson and Notre Dame games, but then we got completely blown out in the USC and Miami games, two teams with arguably less talent than Clem or ND. Remember also that Marshall went out in the Clemson game with 19 minutes left in the second half-not at the end of the game...and we still almost won-Just never know which Wofford team will show up...that is what I get tired of...inconsistent focus is why we don't win more games.

I agree the team has been inconsistent at times this year. I was pretty disappointed we dropped both games to East Carolina and that was prior to Marshall's injury.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Men's Basketball