Wofford New President

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford New President

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 am

Per a facebook post, Wofford will introduce its new President today at 1pm in Leonard Auditorium. I would have to guess that he/she will be an insider, or someone coming back home. Anyone hear anything they wish to share?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Re: Wofford New President

Postby Cub on Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 am

It will not be an insider or someone coming home - I do know that but not much else
Cub
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 am

Ironic contrast to the last search. When Dunlap was hired, there was a list of published finalists and the process was much more pulicized. This time, I haven't seen anything until now an introduction. Neither way is right or wrong; I'm sure we got our man/woman and will be fine. I just think it is unusual that such different approaches were taken. Perhaps it's the difference in the outgoing Presidents (Lesesne vs. Dunlap) or a different make up on the BOT. Anticipation builds...
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby oldT-Dog on Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 am

My guess is Dr. David Wood.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Cub on Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Dr. Wood was not one of the final 4 candidates
Cub
Junior Terrier

Postby oldT-Dog on Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Haha. Shows my depth of insider info.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Who were the four candidates and who was chosen?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Welcome President Nayef Samhat.

http://www.kenyon.edu/samhatn.xml

This was taken from Phillip Stone, our archivist. He put it out on facebook.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Tue May 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Wofford News Update
May 14, 2013
Dr. Nayef H. Samhat named Wofford College president

Dr. Nayef H. Samhat addresses a packed Leonard Auditorium today after his election as Wofford College's 11th president was announced by Harold Chandler, chairman of the Wofford Board of Trustees.

Kenyon College provost to serve as 11th president
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Wofford College Board of Trustees elected Dr. Nayef H. Samhat as president of the college at their meeting on Tuesday, May 14, held on campus.

Samhat has served as provost and professor of political science and international studies at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, since 2009.

He will succeed the retiring Dr. Benjamin B. Dunlap this summer. Dunlap has served as president since 2000, and will return after a yearlong sabbatical to continue as the Chapman Family Professor of Humanities.

"We have conducted a thorough, national search for the 11th president of Wofford College," says J. Harold Chandler (Class of 1971), chair of the Wofford Board of Trustees. "Our search committee was led by an able and accomplished individual and its 12 members have done their job in a thoughtful and comprehensive manner. The board of trustees, led by its Human Resources Committee, has completed its review and have voted to accept the mutual recommendation of the Search Committee and the Human Resources Committee in the naming of Dr. Nayef H. Samhat as the next present of Wofford College. We are honored that Dr. Samhat has accepted our call and we are excited and ready to begin our important work together."

Samhat held several positions at Centre College in Danville, Ky., from 1996 to 2009, including associate dean of the college, the Frank B. and Virginia Hower Associate Professor of Government and International Studies, chair of the Division of Social Studies, and the National Endowment for the Humanities Associate Professor of Government and International Studies. He also served as the coordinator of the Environmental Field Experience Program and an instructor in the Department of Political Science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., from 1995 to 1996.

After receiving his bachelor's degree in international economics from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C., in 1983, Samhat received his master of international affairs degree from Columbia University in New York City. He received his Ph.D. in political science from Northwestern University, where he also received a minor in comparative political economy.

While at Kenyon, Samhat has overseen a number of major grants, including two from the Mellon Foundation: a Critical Languages and Innovative Pedagogy grant to support post-doctoral teaching fellowships for Russian and Arabic languages, and a grant for the Center for Innovative Pedagogy and The Essentials: Renewing General Education within the Curriculum to enhance the endowment for a previously Mellon-funded Teacher Teaching Teachers grant.

Samhat has made a number of presentations, participated in numerous panels and written papers centering on the challenges of the liberal arts college, the role of provost, developing faculty leaders and other topics. His also has written numerous papers, reviews and essays on foreign policy, international relations and global environmentalism.

A native of Detroit, Mich., Samhat is married to Prema Samhat, director of the Knox Community Hospital Foundation and director of marketing and communications for Knox Community Hospital. They have three daughters, Alia, 26; Jehan, 24; and Leila, 19.

For more information visit the Newsroom Web Site.

Follow us!
Laura H. Corbin
Director of News Services
Phone: 864-597-4180
Fax: 864-597-4179
Email: laura.corbin@wofford.edu
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue May 14, 2013 4:47 pm

sounds like a reasonable fellow.

interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcuQRaNEvzo

Anybody know how to pronounce his last name? Because I have been chanting SAM-HAT all afternoon to myself.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue May 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Very well spoken - can he walk the walk, as Coach might say.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue May 14, 2013 8:51 pm

It looks like the College has finally learned how to truly conduct a national search :D
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:It looks like the College has finally learned how to truly conduct a national search :D

I'll assume that Dr. Samhat was not prepped for his interview in a late night tutoring session in the athletic administration suite. National searches are good; sham searches create messes.

Either way, congratulations and welcome to our new President. Hopefully Wofford can realize his vision without losing its unique "Wofford-ness".
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm

I won't share the other candidates info, but this guy is a lot better than the other candidates. I like him. Not as Charismatic as Bernie, but he has a huge upside I think.

His last name is pronounced as it looks-Samhat. Like Sam-hat.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations