At Elon 4-20-13

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: At Elon 4-20-13

Postby njterrier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah you're right, coaches that spend almost every minute of their day's with a kid for 4+ years truly don't care about their well-being. Because why would a coach cultivate a relationship with their players. I think it's fair to question a coach's knowledge, philosophy, whether he was best baseball guy for the job, etc. But accusing the man of negligently treating players - that he personally recruited and helped develop as both athletes and men from the time they were 17 - is absurd and only showsyour agenda. THIS ISN'T REC BALL. When you get to the D1 level and are playing in the SoCon - the thought of being a professional is there! As a former player who played through pain my entire career and had multiple surgeries, I understood the risks and if there was a way I could play (through pain) I did - didn't matter what the coach thought. Maybe you never played at a high level to understand what goes through a player's head or respect the relationship a coach and a player can develop over 4-5 years - but to make damming accusations about a man's inner thoughts based on observations from the bleachers is a shame.
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm

First of all there is NO agenda! The first complaints come from the player not fans. He told a former grad this 3 weeks ago. Yes, coaches should build a relationship with his players. Problem is it only happens with a select few. That is not a accusation, it's a fact and many former players have commented on this. Yes, if the player can play through pain he should. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience during your days. That isn't happening now under this leadership, not according to me but by current and past players. I do know what happens at a high level. I've been there, although it has been over 20 years ago. Finally when I say he doesn't respect his players...it is evident by the language that is used directly towards them. If you respect someone you don't constantly berate them by cursing them. That has happened even during games for the world to hear. He had an assistant coach that called him out on this and it got better while he was still there. And just think...we are a Methodist based school. So there is no agenda what-so-ever! Just want to see the best for My Wofford. Just wish that the leadership would step up and correct some issues and get behind the baseball program. They do attend at times but will not put an extra dime into the program. Just recently an appeal was put out to the parents of the players to help feed them while they are on road trips. How does that look? This is clearly a football and basketball school and that's sad.
DiamondTerrier

Postby njterrier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

To the contrary, I did not have a pleasant playing experience. But I still think TI had my best interest and even more so - the programs best interest at heart at all times. There is not one coach in this world that has a 100% approval rating of players/parents etc. But with that said, to my original point, I think the implication that TI would put a kid in a situation in which he would knowingly put him in danger isn't the guy I played for.
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby TheTerrier on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:20 am

TI is nothing compared to some college coaches. I am in awe that you think his language towards his players is poor. You obviously have no idea of what the culture is.
TheTerrier

Postby dialing8 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 pm

NJTerrier,
I think what some people would question is why Yarusi was throwing 100+ pitches in games early in the season. I mean games that mean nothing!! It's not like the coach doesn't know what he has in the kid. He has seen him pitch for 3 years.
This might not be a big deal to you, but most people would this this is suspect coaching and maybe a bit careless in how to treat your ace!
Playing a position with small injuries should be expected of players and I bet you know that everyone playing D1 baseball plays dinged up all the time, but it is not the same when dealing with pitchers.

Just my thoughts.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby njterrier on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

I hear ya Dialing - and I'm not saying what is right or wrong (I think it's only natural to debate things like this) my concern was with people questioning his intent for his players based on observations from the stands.

As for pitch counts - it's always a debated issue. Augie Garrido has multiple national titles, is a hall of fame coach, but let Austin Wood throw 169 pitches in a game. Garrido is notorious for burning out pitchers before they get to the Draft and he's done pretty well at CS Fullerton and Texas. The Notre Dame coach Aoki had one of his RELIEVERS (a million dollar top round pick) throw 129 pitches. So Yarusi won't be the first or the last D1 pitcher to probably get extended too far.
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby DiamondTerrier on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 pm

As some may think I'm so anti Coach I. Not true. Are there things I disagree with? Sure! But I am seeing that he seems to get a better grasp of being a head coach. He made a great move Friday night in the second game when he went to the bullpen and brought in Eck in the 7th. That was a must win after losing game one earlier. If he had saved Eck for the ninth or even eighth I don't feel we would have won that game. If he had waited we wouldn't have needed him and he would have started the third game on Saturday. Problem is our bullpen just can't hold leads for the most part. Don't get me wrong, they have had there moments but for the most part they have struggled. I do feel Coach I is trying hard to pull out a few games so we can make the tourney. I was told that he's toying with the idea of moving Eck to a starter role since Yarusi is gone. Also a position player has just been moved to the bullpen to try and help stop the bleeding. I surely hope all this falls in place. These guys deserve a chance to play in a conference tournament. Also a note; Yarusi could possibly be back for the tournament. His diagnosis is tendonitis.
DiamondTerrier

Previous

Return to Baseball