At Elon 4-20-13

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

At Elon 4-20-13

Postby lawdog on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I saw us play the second game of today's doubleheader. I missed the first, which we lost 14-5. We won the second 11-5. I thought we looked good. We had two delayed steals and scored both times, catching Elon by surprise. The team played hard and smart, and supported each other. Elon hit Morris, our starting pitcher, hard early, but Morris hung in there and the D backed him up; his relief help finished the job. From what I saw there is some talent on this team. Hope we can win tomorrow; Yarusi may go though nursing a tweak.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2013/ ... h=baseball
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: At Elon 4-20-13

Postby DiamondTerrier on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Have to totally disagree. This year’s team is the most disappointing yet. They have potential but that's about it. We are average at catcher at best. Feisal has done a good job defensively but offensively both are weak. Neely at first base we are as good as we've been in years. Second has been an experiment that has failed miserably; not much at plate and is weak with glove and has no arm. You have to play the upper classman here as he was beginning to step it up with his defensive play and showed flashes of offense. Shortstop has been a pleasant surprise but with the weak arm look for a switch to second. Third is very weak defensively and has struggled at the plate all year; but has been injured lately and Neely has filled in admirably but we need him at first. His glove has saved so many errors. If we had that glove the last few years he would have saved a lot of errors and games. Outfield has really hurt us at times with some key drop fly balls. Hyman has done a good job and Wise has really stepped up his play. Wise keep platooning for some reason. You don't platoon a .311 hitter with a .182 hitter. This is an easy call that can't be made by our current coach. Left field has been a real sore spot. Now offensively we have only a few consistent players. Three with above .300 average an only three above .250 which on the surface don't sound too bad. Problem is these stats were heavily padded early in the year against pitchers from up north who were just getting outside. Several teams said that their first outing was when they came down here to play. All there practices had been indoor until then. Pitching staff is another story. Starters have done a good job for the most part. Yarusi and Morris have been consistent but now Yarusi has a sore arm and has had the problem for weeks but the coaching staff keeps running him out there. Today it showed. Have to put the blame on the coaching staff. They should know better but they are trying to save their jobs. Relief pitchers are the sore spot. If we have to go to the bullpen we are in some deep trouble. Eck is our only stellar relief pitcher. Bottom line is we have under performed. It starts at the top. Even some of the players are saying the coach is hung up leading the nation in stolen bases and can't manage the game. When the players see problems it affects their play also. If we had a coaching staff that was capable we would have several more wins and would have a chance to make the tournament. At 7-14 right now, that's not going to cut it. Don't get me wrong, we have had a few nice wins along the way such as last weekend but we again are falling short of what we set out to do and that is win games. Odds are next year will be even worse. Eck will be gone and there is a chance Morris, Hyman and Neely could even be drafted also. Yarusi and Osborne will graduate and Wise and Moore will be graduate also. That leaves us with more question marks next year that ever. The most frustrating part is our coach has mismanaged the game for his complete tenure here. How long will this last? That is the biggest question that remains. I'm betting nothing changes because AD could care less about baseball.
DiamondTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Haven't seen but 2 games this year but with the exception of Hyman, we don't look as talented as we have in the past. Appears TI has tried to manufacture runs to make up for it. Not sure about the mismanagement part but completely agree with the last statement: RJ and whole admin could care less.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Diamond Terrier, I agree with some of what you say but here are a few thoughts from my point of view.
1. The coaches should not have let Yarusi pitch the last TWO weekends, but they have to try to win and he is a senior so they don't care. He is done in a month no matter what.
2. The school will not fire TI as long as he acts like he keeps it cool on the field and does not show his rearend. They have little money in the program and expect little in return.
3. Eck gets drafted, but not the other three you mentioned. The MLB does not draft sub 6 foot tall right handed anything(pitcher or hitter). Take that to the bank. The hitters you mentioned do not hit the long ball and doubles required to even get a look!! Don't you remember a kid named Doyle? He went undrafted and mashed the ball for three of his four years.
4. The SOCON is as weak as it has been in a decade or more so this would be the year to slip into the tournament. No team really stands out.
5. As for the past few years, the team would have slipped into the tourny IF Yarusi was not hurt two years ago and Morris did not get hurt midway through last season.
6. The problem with this year(at this point) is that Davidson this weekend is really the only chance Wofford has to try to slide into the #8 slot for the tourney. Winning against the other two teams we play this year is asking alot.
7. This years team is not disappointing, in fact they have overachieved. This team lost a ton of leadership, not to mention innings from pitchers and hits, rbis, homeruns, etc.
8. I agree that next year will be way down, but then again, App. state, CofC and Georgis Southern are leaving. I think 2009-2013 Wofford has one win against App. state and yet to has a win against CofC.
9.This coaching staff has probably won a bunch of games with the safety bunt ans steals all year. I think the coaches have been pretty good for what they had to work with.
10. As for mismanaging the game---the coach has yet to learn when to pull a pitcher. That alone has cost him the tourney for at least the last 3 seasons. And why the hell do all the relief pitches sit in the dugout in the 5th, 6th and even 7th inning when the starter is clearly out of gas!!! No other team has the relief pitchers scratching themselves in the dugout except WOFFORD. It is like some control thing so that the coach can listen to all the talking going on. Why is our coach the only head coach that coaches from the third base box during games? Why do we sit in the third base dugout? All this seems to be signs of a control issue and lack of belief in the rest of the staff. ask former Coach Discher how much coaching he was allowed to do----NONE.

Well, enough for tonight.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby njterrier on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Interesting comments Dialing and I agree on mostly everything.

A few points:

1) Switch to 3rd base dugout was made under Traylor.
2) If TI was really interested in listening to dugout chatter, he wouldn't coach 3rd, he'd stay in the dugout.
3) TI has strengths and weaknesses (they've been noted ad nauseum on this board), but one of his strengths is managing the base running game. Why not coach 3rd then if that's what you excel at?
4) I think it's been said on here a few times - Wofford doesn't have the pitching depth to match with most other teams. However, we've had some starters that can shove on any given day. Not trying to be an apologist, but with a weak pen, sometimes a gassed 1/2 is actually still better. So, unfortunately, you have to stretch your 1s and 2s as far as they can go
5) I like TI, always have. Is he a Hall of Fame coach - no. But I think he's done the best he can with the resources he's had and THE FOUNDATION HE WAS GIVEN. It seems like this is lost in the discussion - he is a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade from Traylor. If TI came in after a previous coach had established some sort of recruiting foundation/program philosophy, he would have expanded on that significantly and you may see a program competing year in and year out for Socon Championship. Instead, he came in with no recruiting base, and had to start from scratch and in my opinion, has done an excellent job in expanding Wofford's recruiting reach.
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby dialing8 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am

NJTerrier,
Well just because Traylor switched to the third base dugout doesn't mean the new coach can't switch back to first. Heck maybe that would be a little thing that might change our luck. I have to think he was on the staff that changed to third to want to stay there.
TI could not stay in the dugout to listen to chatter because he would not be able to control the game as he does from the third base coaches box. Heck let someone else earn their money.
I don't believe TI's strengths are baserunning for two reasons---1. way to many runners have been thrown out on the bases in the last 6 years to think he has figured out the running game and 2. James Foster has about 1/2 the total career stolen bases he should have had.
I think you are correct about his streatching his 1/2. My problem is not having anyone ready to come in until the crap has hit the fan. He takes WAYYYYY to long to get the kids to the pen. It surely would not hurt to have them in the pen and getting stretched out and tossing a bit in the 5th of every game.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 am

As a point of reference, Mark Line used the 3B dugout 25 years ago, so it didn't start with even Traylor.
I am not sure I am buying that TI came in with no foundation or recruiting base. We had just won the SoCon tournament and had just built a new stadium/facility. That is at least some foundation which some would argue is a good one. TI has had many hurdles to overcome (money, culture, support) and still does, but some are of his own inexperience and process of growing into the job which I think he is.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 am

Good points. TI was raw when he started, but has grown.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm

I am having a hard time believing all these coaches used the third base dugout ---especially the Mark Line years. Why? Because the big plaque honoring Mark Lina for his coaching and leadership is screwed into the first base dugout. His former players donated 25K to the program in his honor. That is why he was given the plaque!!
Just my thinking. I could still be wrong.
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby njterrier on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Year 1 was in the 1b dugout (had "25") in front of the dugout I believe so it could be Line used the 1b dugout.

Year 2 or 3 was when Traylor switched to 3b dugout. It's been that way since.

There are other teams in the SoCon that have home team in 3b dugout just fyi.
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:47 am

FU is on 3B I know.
I played for ML (granted it was in the dark ages) and we were in the 3B dugout 3 of the 4 years.
I donated to the ML dugout and have no idea why it is on the 1B side.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Just heard that Yarusi had a MRI on elbow and looks like he's done for the year. Coaching staff has run him out to the mound three times since he has complained about a sore elbow. I hate that his career could end this way.
DiamondTerrier

Postby TheTerrier on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm

delete
Last edited by TheTerrier on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTerrier

Postby TheTerrier on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Diamond Terrier- "Just heard that Yarusi had a MRI on elbow and looks like he's done for the year. Coaching staff has run him out to the mound three times since he has complained about a sore elbow. I hate that his career could end this way."

The kid competes his face off and would pitch every game if he could. What's the coach going to say? Hey, I am resting you this week and the next three so you can pitch in your final weekend and go out in a good way? No, the kid wants to make the tournament and knows the chances are best with him pitching, healthy or not. But your right, his elbow has been sore. It's a good thing the Terriers didn't run him out against Furman on sunday...
TheTerrier

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:00 pm

That's right "TheTerrier". The coaching staff should be held responsible but that hasn't happened during this staff's tenure. Brandon is a competitor and gives it his all on the mound. The staff knew alright by what I have been told. If you were there that Sunday against Furman, you may remember that they had a player taking a pitchers heat pad for arm and elbow back and forth to locker room between innings so it would be good and warm when Brandon came back to the dugout. I know that this staff doesn't care for his players. That has been evident by what has gone on. No Loyalty or Respect at all for his Players!
DiamondTerrier

Next

Return to Baseball