USC Upstate in preseason Top 40

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

USC Upstate in preseason Top 40

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm

They are building quite the D-1 programs across town in both baseball and basketball. They are leaving us in the dust.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: USC Upstate in preseason Top 40

Postby youngterrier on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:40 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:They are building quite the D-1 programs across town in both baseball and basketball. They are leaving us in the dust.

stop
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I see the truth hurts. It certainly hurts me. The question is, what are we going to do about it, especially in baseball? The best definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same and expect different results. Either make drastic changes to get this baseball program up on an acceptable level or just drop the dang thing or make it a club sport. If we'd just hired Tim Wallace. He wanted to resurrect his beloved Wofford's baseball program so badly. But Dick Johnson had to go and hire a buffoon from Asheville. What a DA, and I don't mean District Attorney. Baseball is one of the top three sports in America. It's such a shame we have to suck at it while we watch schools like Furman and Upstate take major steps forward . Heck, even PC beats us regularly and is doing more for baseball than us. Sad. Wofford should make a New Year's resolution to help out this impoverished program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

Dude, for years you have been one of the most ignorant and negative posters on the board. The sky is always falling with you. Chill.

In baseball, where we admittedly suck, we are 4-1 against them since 2010 season.
In basketball, we are 1-0 against them in recent memory, a 79-61 asscutting if I do recall.

Take off your tin foil hat and think for a minute. We are in one of the best baseball conferences in all of division I, and in basketball we have won two SoCon titles in the last 3 years and we won almost 20 games last year. We have a top 5 football program, to boot.

Call me when USC-satellite campus makes the big dance.

Seriously.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

It's just a function of money. If we all give more and make it priority in our T-Club donations, more will be accomplished.
I questioned the hire too but that is water well under the bridge by now.
While I can understand the frustration, I don't get the negativity toward the programs, esp. basketball where we have achieved so much more success than many us thought would ever be possible.
My suggestion is: stop using other schools (esp. USC-S) to gauge where we are as a program. Success will generally ebb and flow as particular student/athletes come in and out of the program. As long as the money is there (granted, in baseball it is not), things will be ok.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:07 am

WoffordGrad94 I don't disagree with you completely about baseball because we have not had any success since 2007 but basketball? That is just an absurd statement. We have enjoyed more success in the last 3 years than any other SOCON program. The future looks awfully bright. Even UNC and Kentucky have a down year every now and again. Not sure how anyone could rationally conclude that USC Upstate has "left us in the dust" in basketball. Results and success have clearly demonstrated the exact opposite. Baseball? Now that's a different story. Hopefully we'll get that right as well.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Baseball is a victim of Title IX and a small athletics budget.

To fix the program, we need to add scholarships. For all practical purposes, theses scholarships will need to be matched by women's scholarships somewhere.

It will take years to fix the baseball program. I don't think it should be dropped, because with current Title IX requirements, it would be almost impossible to start it up again.

I still don't understand the coaching move, but that boat has long sailed.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball