Davidson ponders move

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Davidson ponders move

Postby Art Vandalay on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:06 pm

I saw this article in the Charlotte Observer. Seems Davidson is weighing their options, and, apparently, wants a better basketball conference. One with multiple bids to the NCAA tournament. I can only wish them luck. If they were to leave, I hope the SoCon brings in a good football school with a decent BBall record.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/0 ... nging.html
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Re: Davidson ponders move

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:45 am

On one level, I'd hate to lose Davidson. Academically and culturally they are a good partner school for Wofford. They are close and are located in a good market, as well. Davidson's success reflects well on Wofford because of the similarities between our schools.

However, despite the fact that Davidson has far more financial resources than Wofford they choose to focus their resources on basketball instead of accepting the challenge of competing in football which is particularly frustrating to me. It is no secret that their success is greatly aided by not having to support football and considering the sacrifices Wofford makes to do what it can on the gridiron, it is insulting that Davidson takes the easy way out. They say they don't have the resources, yet they have an endowment of over half a billion Dollars (over three times Wofford's). Granted that money may be earmarked for other things, but the point is that they have resources and they have the ability to raise new funds. No way they couldn't fund football at a SoCon level except for the fact they enjoy the advantage they receive from saving their resources for basketball.

I think the SoCon made the right move when they kicked Davidson out in the 1980's for not playing football and I think they should have never been allowed back without adding scholarship football. If Davidson leaves, then I know it will effect the conference's RPI, etc., but at least it will restore some competitive balance.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 am

The article hints that the SoCon should give Davey more of the BB tournament money.

The real issue that bothers me is the the SoCon is a "one bid league" and there is almost nothing we can do to become a multi-bid league. Even if every school tries to upgrade its program, we will still be a "one bid league". March Madness is set up to maximize the money, hence, half of the SEC, ACC, Big East goes to the tourney.

There would be a lot more travel involved with the CAA (and even more with the A10). This wouldn't be a big deal for basketball, but the costs would add up with the non-revenue sports.

It appears that Davidson wants more money from the SoCon, but I suspect things will stay as they are and Davidson will stay in the SoCon for now. If Davidson is smart, they will let the dust settle with the CAA before doing anything - the CAA is somewhat unstable at present.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Perhaps if Davidson is concerned about money they will do what everyone else does: upgrade their football profile. Now they save on scholarships but end up travelling all over the place in the Pioneer league. If they fielded a legit FCS football program, I bet they'd draw more home fans (and probably be able to increase ticket prices a little, too), save on travel, and attract a lot more media attention.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 am

Seems to me that one thing DC does not need to complain is money. Good grief.....

Beyond that, I guess I can see where they thought they would be a major "mid-major" force in the East during and following the Curry years. It appeared Davidson was poised to really get to another level -- consistently.

But, you know, you've got to win. You've got to get the job done. Maybe that's not the SoCon's fault. Maybe Bob McKillop, however good a coach he may apparently be, didn't make it happen. Of course, they won the Southern Conference tournament last year and got the NCAA Tournament, so how bad can it be?

The whole thing perplexes and frustrates me. So many of these schools have scads of money. And if they win, they win......seems to me that DC is a great position to be the "big fish in little pond" program. Are they really that upset that WoCo beat them out two years after Curry left?? If they win, they're in great shape. Again, I just don't really get it.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby wjtesquire on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am

The College of Charleston (after announcing that they were leaving the SoCon to join a stronger basketball conference so they would be taken more seriously) just got blown out by Louisville 80-38. A friend of mine went and told me it could have been a lot worse.
wjtesquire
Terrier Pup

Return to Off Topic Conversations