Campbell; at UNCG 5-11, -12, -13

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Campbell; at UNCG 5-11, -12, -13

Postby BGTerrier on Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

It's about time someone did something about this program, because the players don't deserve this. They put way too much time and effort into school and athletics at Wofford to be treated like garbage. These reports about the head coach are nothing new, as he was the same when he took the job in 2008. His lack of character is pretty apparent, and character isn't something that is easily changed. I know at least 3 donors who will be pulling their scholarships if the current head coach returns next year. If you think the funding is bad now, wait till the program starts losing scholarships.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby TheTerrier on Thu May 17, 2012 3:26 pm

In response to diamond terrier- The claims you have made about making an error and getting replaced are a part of college baseball. Lets just keep rolling the same guys out there and keep making errors- good strategy. If you think Coach I is harsh your are kidding yourself. Try looking up Augie Garrido on youtube and how he treats his players...and thats a winning program. This is the coaches livelihood. They are doing everything they think they can to win. Although some decisions they make do not end up working out, they are trying their best.
TheTerrier

Postby dialing8 on Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

TheTerrier wrote:In response to diamond terrier- Try looking up Augie Garrido on youtube and how he treats his players...and thats a winning program.

Augie is Not the kind of coach that we need!
There is nothing wrong with dressing a kid down when done the right way. I know kids that have been dressed down for years, BUT they knew their coach cared for them AND accepted responsibility for what was not coached or stressed enough.
Sometimes the probem is when a coach blames all losses on the players and all wins are to be credited to him. That is where the rub comes in.

As for the errors go look at the year to date error list on the Wofford Stats sheet as I did.
We have made 100 errors this year. The other teams have made 72. That is about a 1/2 error per game. The funny thing is that the errors at UNC-G did not really play into the loss with the exception of the failed pickoff move in the 8th that let the winning run score. Look at earned runs and there were only two unearned run in the UNC-G game. One was overcome the other was not.
Not trying to say the errors did not lose the game, just pointing out that we lost by one run with 7 errors.

It seems that for the T-dogs to win everything needs to line up--hitting, pitching and fielding. Other teams don't have to line everything up because they have more options and depth.

Our real problem has been keeping the statring pitchers in until they can no longer raise their arm to scratch their forehead. We have left the starters in to long all season. Look at many of the box scores and you can see the starter was left in well past time to be pulled. This IS ALL coaching and lack of options in the coaches mind. Can't go starter to closer all year.
Funny thing is to look at the UNC-G box scores. That crazy coach up there changes pitchers faster than he changes underwear! So does Ray Tanner.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Thu May 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Just heard this. Could be as many as five transfers out; 2 freshmen and as many as 3 sophomores. All who have been regulars and contributors this year. This is sad news. No confirmation but this comes as talk through the locker room. Nothing to be announced until after the season. Word that I hear is they are tired of dealing with a bad situation that appears to be getting no better. Things were represented to be one way and now they see how things really are. If this is true this is a sad day in Wofford baseball. Lets hope that all this does not come to pass.
DiamondTerrier

Postby lawdog on Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 pm

That would be very sad. One thing I can say with certainly from watching the team play a couple games recently for the first time in a while, and checking their credentials, is that they are an impressive group of young men. As said above, they deserve the best situation Wofford can give them in return for their committing to play and be students here. For example, not every football player has loved Coach Ayers at all times, but virtually all respected him and felt he cared for them and did a good job providing guidance to them on and off the field, even when he was very forceful about it.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 am

DiamondTerrier wrote:Just heard this. Could be as many as five transfers out; 2 freshmen

This is true. Two pitchers are hitting the road. One was injured all year and the other has a 99 ERA.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 pm

The players I was referring to are not pitchers. Two outfielders and two, possibly three infielders. These are regulars who are playing every weekend. This is what players are saying. Coaching staff is unaware of this to my knowledge. If they decide to leave they are wanting to announce after the season. All may stay (except one infielder) if coach leaves. If he stays, it doesn't look good.
DiamondTerrier

Postby TheTerrier on Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 pm

DiamondTerrier wrote:The players I was referring to are not pitchers. Two outfielders and two, possibly three infielders. These are regulars who are playing every weekend. This is what players are saying. Coaching staff is unaware of this to my knowledge. If they decide to leave they are wanting to announce after the season. All may stay (except one infielder) if coach leaves. If he stays, it doesn't look good.

Thats interesting. Two sophomore outfielders that were everyday players? I hope you are right about that because there aren't any sophomore outfielders. There are also 5 infielders coming in next year. If you are blaming these so called transfers on a coaching problem you've got it all wrong. Good players will play and figure out a way to get it done regardless of the coaches. Bad players will sit there and use the coaches as an excuse when things aren't going their way. Could the coaching be better? Absolutely. But last time I checked Wofford isn't South Carolina and until Wofford is fully funded they are never going to make a huge leap.
TheTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 31, 2012 8:49 am

First, I don't think any of us expect to be a perennial conference power; most would simply like to be competitive, perhaps winning as many as we lose in conference. I guess it's how one defines "huge leaps". For some of us, going .500 in conference would in fact be a "huge leap" for this program.
But if we are waiting around to be fully funded, we may as well shut the program down now because it will never happen (barring some miracle). More importantly, advocating that we will never be competitive or successful until we are fully funded sounds like a cop out to me. I am not sure how that was intended so I am not assigning any motives but IMO that sounds like an excuse for the other underperforming elements of our program. Granted we are in a difficult spot as things exist now, but I for one think we can be very competitive with just a few more schollies. Other than administrative priorities, there is absolutely no reason why Wofford should not be a great baseball school and program.
Last edited by Ruckus on Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Thu May 31, 2012 9:56 am

TheTerrier, I completely disagree. Good players and bad players aren't going to, nor shouldn't have to put up with the BS from the current head coach. If we were winning 35 games every year, his antics might be tolerated because of program success. Unfortunately, that's not the case here. This program is going nowhere, and a lot of it has to do with the head coach. Yes the program could use more scholarships, but that's not the most glaring problem. Leadership and a winning mindset start at the top, and the current head coach has neither. He doesn't know how to lead and has no idea how to win, and this is why the program has not improved since he took over the program. As I stated in a previous post, the baseball program is going to lose scholarship funding for next year if the current head coach stays. Hopefully the people in charge will wise up and make the right decisions to get this program headed in the right direction.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Denise on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am

Ruckus wrote:First, I don't think any of us expect to be a perennial conference power; most would simply like to be competitive, perhaps winning as many as we lose in conference. I guess it's how one defines "huge leaps". For some of us, going .500 in conference would in fact be a "huge leap" for this program.
But if we are waiting around to be fully funded, we may as well shut the program down now because it will never happen (barring some miracle). More importantly, advocating that we will never be competitive or successful until we are fully funded sounds like a cop out to me. I am not sure how that was intended so I am not assigning any motives but IMO that sounds like an excuse for the other underperforming elements of our program. Granted we are in a difficult spot as things exist now, but I for one think we can be very competitive with just a few more schollies. Other than administrative priorities, there is absolutely no reason why Wofford should not be a great baseball school and program.

A few more schollies would be huge.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball