General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am

I don't start many threads and this is my second one today which is probably a record, but, it is my 1854th post on this board and I thought that would be an appropriate time to acknowledge what Wofford has meant to me over the years in all facets of my life; academically, philosopically, opportunity-wise, experience-wise, socially, as a fan, just to name a few.

As I think back, there are so many thin threads that connect where I began from to where I am today and I can honestly say that my decision to attend Wofford has had the most profound impact on my life of any single thing I have done since the time I made that choice. That being said, I realize that everyone's Wofford experience is a bit different, but as far as I am concerned, it was the best place for me and it has both guided me in the direction I have travelled and continues to shape my thoughts going forward. I truly am proud to be a Terrier.

So, thanks to Wofford for taking a chance on me and letting me be a small part of the Terrier Nation.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Re: 1854

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 pm

While I routinely tell prospective students with whom I happen to have contact that college is what you make of it regardless where you go (and life in general for that matter) and that Wofford is not for everyone, I have never, even for a split second, regretted my decision to become a Terrier. It is a special place made of special people.
On that front, President Dunalp announced today he is retiring as of June 2013. So a new chapter will begin on our city's northern border.........
BTW - Dunlap is only the 10th president the college has ever had. A pretty remarkable stat.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby MarleyDogg on Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

The Wofford College that Bernie inherited is a very different place from the Wofford College that his successor will inherit. Wofford's national standing has been furthered by leaps and bounds since the summer of 2000, and its growth (both the physical campus and the student population) has been impressive. I, like many of you, am most interested in seeing Wofford continue to stand for the values that were instilled in me during those years. It is a wonderful thing that College has been so dynamic over that last 12 years, and I can only hope that the continued growth and improvement is never to the detriment of "The Wofford Way." <IFH>
MarleyDogg
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 pm

I would love to see Dr. Danny Morrison as president of Wofford College. But I doubt he could afford to take the job, if offered. Now wouldn't it be great to have a Wofford Alum with Danny's charisma as the head of the college? I think we would be headed for new heights.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Great minds think alike. I said the same thing today.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm

He was in the running last time, as I understand it. He would be a good one to consider, for sure. Also, how about Harold Chandler, MBA?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

I would like to quote all of you guys but I am not sure how to do multiple quotes. so just consider yourself quoted. yeah why not Danny Morrison or Harold Chandler ? Either one would be great for the school. I am trying to think of a good comment except that I would love to see either one of them as president of the College. I am positive that if either one did accept the position that they would not leave Wofford for another school - for more prestige or more money.

Here is the article from GoUpstate
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201205 ... -June-2013
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Few have contributed more or love Wofford more than those two. Both have a lot of respected real world experience, which would serve the school well as this point in time. Each is young enough to give the school 8-10 quality years, and would represent the school well. Each has made enough money to be able to take a pay cut for this job (although this job pays pretty darn well, I understand).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 am

Bishop Will Willimon was in the running last time.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 am

Have high regard for the bishop, who is talented and loves Wofford as much as anyone. Not sure that is what the college needs at this particular point, however ... would lean toward Danny or Harold (who heads the selection committee, I understand).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 am

I was cautious when Dr. Dunlap was named to replace Dr. Lesense. In part because Dr. Lesesne was the only president that I had ever known at Wofford, in part because I really wanted Dean Maultsby to get the job, and probably part because I was unsure about how it would work out with a professor transitioning into that role. However, now looking back, it was exactly the right move at the time and Woffor dis much better for having gone this direction. I don't really know what direction Wofford will go this time around but I would like to see someone hired that plans to serve an extended period of time because I think that consistency over time makes a big difference. All the choices offered so far would be excellent hires, and I'm sure there are others as well. I would not consider it neccessary to hire from within the Wofford family, but I probably do expect it.

All this being said, I do want to thank Dr. Dunlap for his service to the College and all the contributions he has made. Among many things, I will always remember the speech he made at the convocation honoring the 2003 football team. I have the transcript of it saved on my computer and still read it from time to time. Amazing stuff.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed May 16, 2012 9:54 am

So good I decided to read it again after my previous post and here it is for anyone else who is interested.

President Dunlap on Wofford football
Feb. 12, 2004

Included below are the remarks from Wofford president Dr. Benjamin Dunlap at today's campus convocation honoring the Terrier football team for its 2003 Southern Conference championship and trip to the Division I-AA semifinals.

We all know what Vince Lombardi said: “Winning isn’t the most important thing. It’s the only thing.” And you know what? That’s true in a lot of college athletic programs—mostly in ones with low graduation percentages and high incarceration rates for their athletes. If they don’t win, somebody gets fired. And if they do win, somebody gets investigated. At Wofford, winning is not the only thing. It’s just one of a lot things our student-athletes learn from Mike Ayers and his coaching staff.

The first thing they learn is that they’re students first and athletes second. The next thing they learn is that the secrets to success on the playing field are the same ones that will make them successful in life long after they’ve graduated. The third thing they learn is that they’re too small and too slow, with too few scholarships and too tough a schedule to be competitive in the Southern Conference. Oh, yeah, and then they learn that no mountain is too tall to climb, no opponent too big or too quick or too highly touted to be beaten by a team that’s smart, disciplined, and determined to win by playing together as team, not as a collection of prima donnas.

Don’t get me wrong. Wofford has its stars—what it lacks is prima donnas. When you play for the best coach in the United States, you play to learn as well as to win and you play together. When you lose, you know there’s something to be learned in that experience too—about your performance and about yourself. Vince Lombardi, who truly was a great coach, also said, “It’s easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you’re a winner, when you’re number one. What you’ve got to have is faith and discipline when you’re not yet a winner.”

I’ve had the privilege of joining our team in the dressing room after almost every game over the past four years, and some of those games were bitter losses. I’ve heard Mike Ayers in victory and defeat, and some of his most inspiring lessons have been taught when we lost. Coach Lombardi had a comment about that as well: “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” That sounds like the heart of a terrier to me. It doesn’t matter how many times a bigger dog knocks a terrier to the ground. As long as it has a breath in its body, that little dog will get back to its feet and go on fighting, just as Wofford did in the closing seconds of our national semi-final play-off game against the University of Delaware. It was not our best game of the season, but those closing moments were among the most gallant in a season studded with victories.

We all know the tagline that has turned up everywhere, from the New York Times to ABC Television: “Wofford is the only football-playing Division I school whose average SAT score is higher than its total enrollment.” Look at our football success and you see what is true of every aspect of our college: we do more with less than anybody. And it’s especially gratifying to read in a nationally syndicated report that you can expect next year’s pre-season I-AA poll to list among its top five teams the “usual national powers”—Delaware, Wofford, and teams like that.

But even in that august company, there’s an important difference. Our players are not hired gladiators or Division I-A transfers. They don’t live in special dorms and major in specially designed pseudo-academic disciplines. They’re students like everyone else in this auditorium today, and they embody all the traits we would like to lay claim to ourselves—they are quick, intelligent, fiercely loyal competitors. They played their hearts out in every game, and, sometimes, they had the ball bounce off the ground right into their hands at a crucial point in the game. The difference between a great season and an unforgettable one is often a matter of a little luck here and there, and we had that too this season. Now we have the glory. We’re champions—all of us, not just the players. We’re all champions because that’s what they’ve given to us. They’ve brought these trophies home and they’ve made us all winners in the minds of people who couldn’t even pronounce our name at the beginning of the season.

Our purpose today is to bask in their achievement—to thank them for everything it cost them from the first day of practice to the last seconds of that game in Delaware. These are our guys, our coaches, our terriers.

Even beyond the gates on Church Street, even among those who graduated from institutions in distant places beset by ice and snow, there is pride in our team’s 2003 season.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed May 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, what qualities and experiences do you think the new President should have?

Man, I cannot wait until football season :lol:
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:Just out of curiosity, what qualities and experiences do you think the new President should have?

Man, I cannot wait until football season :lol:

1) The ability to instantly raise enough money to fully fund all sports and give substantial raises to all coaches and staff.
2) The ability to make any student-athlete our coaches want sign with Wofford.
3) The ability for everyone nationwide to know who Wofford is and how to pronounce it.
4) The ability to have all our games on legitimate TV that is nationally available.
5) The ability to make all the facility upgrades we need.
6) The ability to have at least a couple football players and basketball players drafted intothe NFL and NBA each year.
7) The ability to make sure Wofford always makes the football playoffs, has enough money to always win the home game bidding and always make it to at least the National Semifinals.
8 ) The ability to have our basketball teams both in the NCAA tournament each year with a run tothe Sweet Sixteen at least once every five years.
9) The ability to create a culture where all programs are held tothe same stanndard that academics are at Wofford and make changes when those expectations are not met.
10) The ability to put the names on the back of the football jerseys.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it'll do for starters. :P
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
1) The ability to instantly raise enough money to fully fund all sports and give substantial raises to all coaches and staff.
2) The ability to make any student-athlete our coaches want sign with Wofford.
3) The ability for everyone nationwide to know who Wofford is and how to pronounce it.
4) The ability to have all our games on legitimate TV that is nationally available.
5) The ability to make all the facility upgrades we need.
6) The ability to have at least a couple football players and basketball players drafted intothe NFL and NBA each year.
7) The ability to make sure Wofford always makes the football playoffs, has enough money to always win the home game bidding and always make it to at least the National Semifinals.
8 ) The ability to have our basketball teams both in the NCAA tournament each year with a run tothe Sweet Sixteen at least once every five years.
9) The ability to create a culture where all programs are held tothe same stanndard that academics are at Wofford and make changes when those expectations are not met.
10) The ability to put the names on the back of the football jerseys.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it'll do for starters. :P

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I think Jesus may be too busy to fill this slot; its below his pay grade. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Off Topic Conversations