Brandon Waring Updates

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Brandon Waring Updates

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:31 am

After a tough 5 game stretch (with only 1 hit), BW helped the Baysox win with 3 hits in night half of yesterday's doubleheader. =D> =D>

http://bowie.baysox.milb.com/news/artic ... p&sid=t418

Bowie is a game behind Harrisburg for top spot in the Western Division of the Eastern League. (Harrisburg's phenom Bryce Harper pulled a hamstring and is likely out for the season. Bummed that he will not play when we attend next Sunday's game vs. NH.) The BaySox also have a 1.5 game lead on Richmond for the wild card. Brandon and squad play 6 of 10 games in August and all 5 regular season games in September at home. Puts the BaySox in a good position to make the playoffs.

The NH Fishercats have a 5 game lead over Reading (sister club of the old Spartanburg Phillies!) in the Eastern Division. Still hoping the locals and Bowie vie for the League championship.
WoCo NH Dude

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:58 am

Brandon Waring is hitting .311 in August with 4 HR's (18 so far this year) for the Bowie Baysox. April and especially May were his problem. Some are thinking he may get to go up to the Baltimore Orioles for a late season look. He is the best option for the Orioles at third base, who are having a very rough time there; Brandon Waring deserves a shot.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby MarleyDogg on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:36 pm

I am also curious whether he will get a look, but don't track the O's too closely, so I wasnt sure if this was likely or not? Anyone know? Typically beat writers and (quality) fan blogs seem to do a pretty good job of predicting who will get a late-season call up. Has anyone seen anything specific that suggests BW will get a shot this September?
MarleyDogg
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I saw a blog or two about their travails at third base, and one speculating that Brandon may get a shot; nothing very concrete. I don't know why the O's don't give him a shot. He generally does better in August and September, and the O's have nothing to lose, since they are having a poor year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, they have a very similar guy at 3rd base already, Mark Reynolds. Lots of power, lots of Ks. So, I don't know that Brandon will get a shot. But like Lawdog said, they've got nothing to lose.
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:53 am

BW smacked another HR Wednesday to tie Bowie's HR career record: =D> =D> =D>

http://bowie.baysox.milb.com/news/artic ... p&sid=t418

If Brandon goes on a tear over the next couple of weeks, I anticipate Bowie will keep him for their playoff run. The Baysox lost yesterday to remain 1.5 games behind Harrisburg in the West Division.

Harrisburg (minus Bryce Harper) is in Manchester, NH this weekend for a battle of the divison leaders. We're going to Sunday's game; however, with Irene's arrival, could be a problem. Would not be surprised if they move the game to tomorrow as part of a doubleheader.
WoCo NH Dude

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Brandon and the Bowie Baysox finished a half game short in their bid to make the Eastern League playoffs.

BW's 2011 accomplishments:
- set the franchise's all-time HR career record
- led the team in Slugging Percentage

Wish he been called up to the Orioles...would have gone to Fenway next week with hopes of seeing him play. Maybe next year!
WoCo NH Dude

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Some have picked Brandon Waring as the best power prospect in the current Orioles' minor league system, pointing out that he needs to cut down on the K's. 2012 will be a big year for him. I would like to see him get a shot at the top; there is a very good chance he would be one of those (e.g., Carlos Ruiz) who does better at the top in some categories than he did before. He can flat crush the ball, and he has the character, work habits, and other intangibles. Plus he is versatile in the field, and could do some DH.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:45 pm

There is significant discussion that Brandon may start the year at AAA Norfolk. His name also is mentioned occasionally in trade rumors.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:18 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 am

According to his tweet Brandon is headed back to Bowie to start the season.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm

This recap projects that Brandon will/should get a shot at AAA Norfolk this season. The sooner, the better!

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/bowie- ... 26571.html
WoCo NH Dude

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 am

Hope you are right, WoCo NH Dude. I think he would do well with that challenge.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lost...dog on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Hopefully this helps him a little bit
http://deadspin.com/5901026/mark-reynol ... n-baseball
lost...dog

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm

BW cranked his first home run of the season yesterday. Batting .355 - let's hope he continues to play/bat solidly with a call to Norfolk/Baltimore not too far away.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=519397

BTW...Brandon's teammate on the Baysox, Travis Adair, is a S'burg product who is the son of Rick Adair, pitching coach for the Orioles.
WoCo NH Dude

PreviousNext

Return to Wofford Alumni in the Sports World