Samford Series

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Samford Series

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Friday night recap - http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 21757.aspx

After the great win in Columbia, the Terriers get 2-hit at home to start the weekend. So much for any momentum or confidence gained from the USC win.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Re: Samford Series

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:31 am

Let's not kid ourselves. The only reason we beat USC is because they were looking ahead to a big weekend series with Florida-and rightfully so. The game with us meant absolutely nothing to them. Ray Tanner is the country's best college baseball coach...he knows what's important and what isn't. Meanwhile, we lose another conference game. We can't win when it really means something. That win over USC really means absolutely NOTHING except perhaps a bit of pride and a false sense of satisfaction that maybe the program isn't so bad after all. I'd much rather win confernce games than that one.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:Let's not kid ourselves. The only reason we beat USC is because they were looking ahead to a big weekend series with Florida-and rightfully so. The game with us meant absolutely nothing to them. Ray Tanner is the country's best college baseball coach...he knows what's important and what isn't. .

My man, you didn't really mean this did you? RT would not want to lose to anyone, much less Wofford. USC comes off getting swept at Kentucky and didn't really run over Furman until late in that game and you think he was looking past Wofford? What a joke. Didn't you see the players used from his bullpen. Same players he uses on the weekends. Actually losing to Wofford has led to RT pushing the panic button and putting Price back in the closers role.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:36 pm

0-5 in SoCon. We outhit 'em, but surprisingly Collins got hit very hard early. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 20314.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 am

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 20024.aspx Swept. Tidbit: box score shows that 8 of Samford's 10 batters have BA exceeding .300.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm

It's looking like we may not even win one conference game this year. If we somehow make the SoCon tourney, I'll take a couple of laps around the Rusty King outfield totally nude. This is shaping up to be the worst season in Wofford's dubious D-1 history, the overhyped non-conference win over USC notwithstanding. CONFERENCE games are all that really matter, and we haven't won one yet, nor showed signs of being able to do so. On the bright side, maybe a winless SoCon campaign will force the athletic department to take a long, soul-searching look at the baseball program and perhaps make a coaching change and put more money into it. I'm sure our players are working hard and trying the best they can and my purpose is certainly not to demean them and their efforts, but the bottom line is winning conference games and the results haven't been there on the weekends. We just don't have the horses to run in this SoCon derby- and that is the Wofford athletic program's fault for neglecting the sport of baseball like they do. Other SoCon teams consider a weekend series with us a bye week. Someone from FURMAN, who is not exactly a power on the diamond themselves, told me that. They also ask me "why the h was Internado hired?" I can't give them a good answer.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCoBaseball on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 pm

WoffordGrad94,

RT wound up coaching 3rd at the end of the 2006 game because he was so pissed USC was possibly going to lose to Wofford - but you're right he probably doesn't care about a loss to Wofford. You probably learned that from the same "source" who told you Wofford is a "bye-week" for SoCon teams. I don't know what's more laughable - the fact that Tanner would accept any loss (esp. to Wofford) or the "bye week" comment. If you played D1 baseball (or any sport) you'd realize that most baseball players are stat rats and when you're facing dudes throwing 88-92 or dudes like Doyle who can mash - there is no "bye week".

Having played on teams that won - apparently - "unimportant" non-conference games against the bigger schools and a conference championship, I would just like to put it out there that what Wofford needs is the ability to match the conferences arms (I'll leave the "how" to the powers that be) and less judgement from people who have no idea what they are talking about.
WoCoBaseball

Postby lost...dog on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33 pm

I have to admit I'm more concerned with the offense right now. This could honestly be one of the more talented pitching staffs Wofford has ever had. Unfortunately, it's not showing right now because our starting pitching hasn't been great like it was last year. They even noted during the USC game that Wofford's ERA last year was around 5 and that was the lowest it has been since 1985. Right now we're sitting at 5.17..... the 2007 team had a 7.42 (granted the bats were stronger). The fact is, nobody really expects the pitching to be stellar, but Wofford has normally scored runs. Our offense has WAY too much talent to be where it's at right now. College of Charleston's Friday guy was a soft lefty throwing 81 and he was almost unhittable against us. The more critical point - we're losing almost everybody on offense. I mean at the moment, Mac Doyle basically is our offense, but we're losing him, Foster, Roney, and Diamadorus. Without Mac, the team would have a total of 9 homeruns and only one other guy hitting +.300 and he's the 9 hole hitter with only 56 at bats. I'm extremely worried for next year's team...
lost...dog

Postby DiamondTerrier on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Not only is the offense performing poorly but what now concerns me is that our pitching staff didn't show up this weekend. What seemed to be our strong point earlier now is of great concern. Giving up 27 runs is too much to overcome. This one bright spot this weekend was the freshman Anderson, he gave us quality innings Saturday when we desperately needed it. Even Eck struggled a little on Sunday. Thing is, our offense just can't overcome those numbers, even on a great offensive night. Our guys are giving it everything they've got and I'm sure will continue to work hard. We just need to string some hits together and score some runs for us to have a chance. If the pitching staff can pull it together I do think we might have an outside shot at the SoCon tourney. It may be a slight one but still there is a chance. The main thing is that the team needs to pull together and play as a team and do the little things that will give us that chance. It's going to take more small ball though. We don't have the horses to just sit back and wait for a big inning to happen. We have to create runs and one thing we do have is some team speed. Use it!
DiamondTerrier

Postby SU DOG on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:09 pm

You guys know your personnel, and I don't, so that is just one of many reasons that I shouldn't butt in here. I do have some opinions to offer, however. I would advise NOT to sell this team so short. As an outsider, I see this as a scrappy team that has some VERY young(Hyman, Plaisted, Kaskow, Pelt, etc) and talented players. I see this as a squad that is also very close to being a very good team. I strained a gut watching on TV pulling for you guys to beat the Shamecocks, and was tickled that 'yall pulled it off. I also posted that on our Samford MB. I believe that Mac Doyle could play for about anyone, and the way Eck handled the SC batters - look at the potential there!!! These FR and Soph players, that are inconsistent right now, may just come together as the season goes on, and make the Terriers a real threat to any SoCon team. That is not a prediction, I just say it is definitely a possibility. Well, good luck the rest of the way, and I hope I possibly added something for you to think about.
SU DOG
Junior Terrier

Return to Baseball