Gamecocks 13 Terriers 1

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Gamecocks 13 Terriers 1

Postby Growler on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:23 am

The only productive offense the Terriers could muster was a solo homerun by Brandon Waring in the fourth inning. We did scatter 5 hits over the course of the evening but couldn't string them together to produce runs. We had runners at second and third with no outs in the fifth but couldn't score. Overall it wasn't as bad as the score would indicate. The offense was off but the pitching looked okay considering the offense they were facing. Jesse cole was stretched into service for two innings. Charles Vartanian also went two innings. It's good to see both of them getting back into action. We took it on the chin, but so does a lot of USC opponents. Let us move on and take our "A" game to the Mountaineers of Appalachian State. See you @ J P Frans Stadium! "REMEMBER KEEP THE FAITH"

"GO TERRIERS" :clap2: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D - :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Growler

Postby Ruckus on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:21 am

USC is STRONG! They shut us down offensively.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:17 pm

Hopefully, playing at a neutral site (LP Frans) helps the Terriers a little this weekend. It's not going to get any easier with CoC and The Citadel coming up next.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 pm

I don't think many Terriers or Terrier fans are going to lose sleep over the result of the South Carolina game. Heck, the Cocks are contenders to go to Omaha and win the whole thing! Our CONFERENCE results are what really matters most. I'm glad we had games to get pitchers ready for the conference slate, though, and facing USC hitters can only help them. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how we do against ASU, a lower-teir SoCon opponent. If we really are an improved team, we should be able to take at least 2 of 3, and we'd better do just that with Charleston coming up the next weekend. Now if we lose games in THAT series 13-1, there is some cause for concern!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Did College of Charleston beat USC? I think they did. It's obvious who the class of the SoCon in baseball is going to be.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:40 pm

I saw the game and do not feel badly. We did not use any of our
three starters or either of our closers. USC's pitching looked awesome
and I don't think many of our SoCon opponents can match it. Keep
the faith.

One thing to keep in mind is that we have only four baseball
scholarships out of a possible eleven.
terriers

Postby GoldandBlack on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:17 pm

It usually does come back to the subject of money.

It has to be a certainty that the administration was aware of the fact that our limited alumni base would be a problem in relation to available scholarships when the move to The Division Formerly Known as I-AA was made, and that the perceived benefits of our increased exposure as a member of the SoCon would outweigh our disadvantage in athletic scholarships.

My guess is that it was considered an acceptable trade-off at the time. It obviously can't be resolved quickly.

I know for a fact that money talks- mine tells me "goodbye" all the time. :?
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:07 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:Did College of Charleston beat USC? I think they did. It's obvious who the class of the SoCon in baseball is going to be.

Citadel beat them as well.

Western beat Clemson Tuesday night also-

Socon is the 7th best conf in the nation
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:19 am

At this point I am not at all sure who the best team in S.C. is - USC, CoC, Winthrop, Clemson, Coastal, Citadel? Wow! We've sure got some talent in this state. I thought USC's pitching was outstanding and almost overpowering. Waring's dinger came on a change up up in the zone but that was about the only mistake they made all night. I thought we should have sent the kid home on the double in the 5th (he looked like he stopped at 2nd) but with no outs you've got to think the odds are very good you'll push at least 1 run across with men on 2nd and 3rd. In the end it didn't make a difference. You've got to the think USC had a little extra motivation after losing to us last year. We play them again on April 17 in Cola.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Growler on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:08 am

Ruckus wrote:At this point I am not at all sure who the best team in S.C. is - USC, CoC, Winthrop, Clemson, Coastal, Citadel? Wow! We've sure got some talent in this state. I thought USC's pitching was outstanding and almost overpowering. Waring's dinger came on a change up up in the zone but that was about the only mistake they made all night. I thought we should have sent the kid home on the double in the 5th (he looked like he stopped at 2nd) but with no outs you've got to think the odds are very good you'll push at least 1 run across with men on 2nd and 3rd. In the end it didn't make a difference. You've got to the think USC had a little extra motivation after losing to us last year. We play them again on April 17 in Cola.

WOFFORD is the best team in the STATE or SOCON, regardless of the standings or statistics. "THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!"

"GO TERRIERS" :clap2: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D - :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Growler

Postby terriers on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:25 am

Growler, you are my kind of man. We are blood brothers. Hang in
there buddy! GO DOGS!!
terriers

Return to Baseball