McGirt

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: McGirt

Postby BigJohn94 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 pm

So far this year, he has made just over $100k in his 2 starts, which is roughly 1/5 of his total from last year. Awesome job!
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 am

BigJohn-This also helps him on what the tour calls the "reshuffle," which moves the players who qualified through the Q School and Nationwide Tour up and down a list according to their success or failure in the events prior to the reshuffle. At this point McGirt would reshuffle UP 23 spots in the order-which is the order of acceptance into the nest tournamnets they wish to play. For example, William was an alternate in the La Quinta event and got in very late. In the case of the reshuffle, he would have been in with no worries. He also is building his earnings for the Tour Championship and PGA, both of which are determined by earnings since the last event. Since he did so well last Fall and already this Winter, his earnings since the last of those two events should be considerable. For the players at the top money comes easily, since they are in the World Golf Championship events, the majors, and all of the invitationals (which are short field events). William is slowly but surely working himself up the list for those events. As an example, he is T-384th on the World Golf Rankings list (with Jeff Maggert). We know his is much better than that, but in order to move up he will need to get into the events that help in the rankings. Jeff Maggert had two great finishes in the last two weeks, but he was WAY down the list before the season started. As I have mentioned before, he is moving along just as if he were climbing stairs-one step at a time. In his two events this year he has put himself in great positions. This past week he got very unlucky to be at LaQuinta when the big winds hit-AND he was at a critical point on the golf course getting ready to play back to back par fives on which he had a real chance to make a move. It was just bad luck. Still, he finished the tournament with birdies on #17 and #18 to earn a nice check. Torry Pines this week is the longest course on tour, and it will be interesting to see how he handles it. Everyone with ties to Wofford should be very proud of the "Terrrier on Tour."
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for that info boulder. I knew some of that stuff was complicated, but didn't know it was THAT complicated.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 pm

No doubt about it, Boulder knows his golf.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am

thanks, Boulder. I had never heard of the reshuffle.

According to this link, it looks like the next one will be on Feb. 26.
http://www.pgatour.com/r/2012_reshuffle/index.html

Would this mean William would move into the top ten (using current earnings) when the reshuffle happens?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, but... There's plenty of time for him to continue to move even more. Last year, because he was second in the Q school, he was very high on the list to begin. If you look over the list, there are only a couple of "reshuffle list" players who have earned more than Wm. He's on Twitter and Facebook. Maybe someone can get him to post here. The PGA Tour pecking order is really complex. I have friends on the tour (or formerly) that keep me informed. As you can see, everything is weighted very heavily in the favor of the established stars. They play in 6-9 very lucrative events a year that the new players can't even get into, and those events have the largest purses and usually little or no cut. It is really stacked in their favor. That is why it is so neat that 1) Wm has gotten his card two years in a row and 2) that he seems to be getting better and better. As he plays more and more on courses that he knows, and gets to play on Sat and Sun he will become more comfortable. He is like a walk on in the team sports who has made the roster again. If he keeps it going he'll be like a starter soon. It's fun to watch.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks, Boulder for the knowledge. William did not make the cut this weekend and will gear for the next tourney
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:31 pm

He tweeted that he probably would not be back to Torrey Pines. It is long and the greens are bumpy poa annua. He's off to a great start this year. He goes back next week to Arizona, where he finished in the top 25 and made his first good check. I hope he uses that to have a great finish. By the way, before this week, I think he had the 8th longest streak on tour of having made the cut. With a little more opportunity to play he will become a really consistent money machine. That first top ten finish can't be too far away.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:53 pm

That is good news in a way. Seeing these courses a second time, he is deciding which he likes and fit his game, and realizing that sometimes it is about the course and not necessarily his game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Unfortunately McGirt did not get in the field this week. He tried to qualify, but missed the playoff by one shot. He is looking forward to playing next week at Pebble Beach. He's headed to the putting gurus to get fitted for a new one.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:27 pm

William shot -1 today is currently tied for 70th.

http://espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Finished 2nd and 3rd rounds with 76 and 71, respectfully, for a total of 216. Did not make the cut - bummer!

On to the next tourney. Go William!
WoCo NH Dude

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 pm

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/031202/william-mcgirt/ Interesting PGA official link to William. Looks like William plays this week at Mayakoba.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Solid first round start. Wild round-he started with 3 straight bogies; then made 3 straight birdies. After five total bogies, he mixed in seven birdies and shot 2 under for a T-18. He's last off the front side tomorrow. Pulling for a solid second round and good position. Play hard!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm

T27 at -1. Cut was 3 over.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Wofford Alumni in the Sports World