Furman Now Fully Funded.

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Furman Now Fully Funded.

Postby dialing8 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 am

I knew this was coming. I consider this a bad day in the history of Wofford baseball. Now Wofford is about 6-7 scholarships short of FU. Let's see---that is a dozen or more pitchers on 50% athletic rides or 24 position players on 25% rides, or maybe some combination of the two.
But then again the haters of the coaching staff will still find a way to explain how the coaches can and should compete with the rest of the conference with those 4-5 scholarships Wofford throws out there.
I hope that whether you like the coaches or not, you can understand that MONEY talks as it has for years in SoCon Baseball.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Agreed on counts. Not a huge fan of the coaching staff (although I like them very much personally) but the scholarship disparity is way too much to overcome in terms of wins and losses. I think we can play better baseball but competing against teams that are fully funded or close to it is too much to overcome.
It will be very interesting to see what SMith and FU do with all this cash and whether it will make a dramatic difference on the field (BTW - I bet it does).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm

It will definitely help a lot. But with tuition and fees of $50,000 they're still going to have to focus on bright kids who will get a lot of academic money and/or kids who have parents with deep pockets. Basically the same kids that Wofford has to recruit. It just got a lost easier for Furman to recruit against Wofford and PC.
COHAZE

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Wofford should either satisfactorily fund the baseball program or drop it all together. I'd personally rather have no program at all than a half-ass one. Is it really a must to throw baseball to the wolves so that we can make the FCS Football Playoffs and the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Is it really a "one or the other" proposition? Can't we be good in all three major sports? I bet if the NCAA mandated that all baseball programs be fully funded, we'd do it rather than drop the program. Therefore, it can be done.

I'd actually LIKE to take away from some women's sports, none of which have ever been able to win despite being fully funded, and give to the baseball team, but there's a proposition preventing that action.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball