FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Blockbuster in Statesboro!

Postby GoldandBlack on Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:24 pm

The GSU forum at

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpB ... um.php?f=3

is going nuts- The AD has announced a press conference this afternoon, and those who know the coaches and players are saying that the entire coaching staff has been fired.

Wonder if Elon might be interested in Sewak and a few assistants?
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:53 pm

8-4 and in the playoffs = fired... what coach would want to walk into that place?
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Oh, I'm sure they'll be able to find someone willing to take up the challenge, even though this move does remind me of Clemson's handling of Ken Hatfield.

It sure makes you thankful for our corner of the SoCon.

I've said for years that the thing I like most about Wofford athletics of any type is that the character of the people matters more than this year's record-

I have no reason to change that opinion today.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:11 am

BestOfBreed wrote:8-4 and in the playoffs = fired... what coach would want to walk into that place?

With their history of winning, I think they will have plenty of applicants and I think Sewak will wind up on his feet somewhere. My question is, will a new coach put an end to the triple option? Will Wofford be the only one who runs it in the SoCon?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 am

That's the biggest question on everyone's mind right now. It's no secret that many of the GSU supporters want to move up to 1-A, and it's an ongoing argument that the triple option has hurt them in their efforts to book more 1-A opponents in the past. Not sure that's a valid argument, but it exists.

Personally, I'd love to see a new coach take them away from the option offense. That would leave us as the only true option team, since the Citadel runs a more balanced run/pass offense, and it would make it harder for our SoCon opponents to prepare for us.

I'm one who believes that the scheduling has hurt us competitively, since we've played many teams shortly after they met GSU.

Who knows- maybe Elon will hire Mike Sewak, and he'll stick with the triple option there?
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby YipYip on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:08 pm

I would love to see them drop the option but would they have the athletes to run anything else?
YipYip

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Not well, at least for the first year or two, but if they're going to make the shift with a new coach, now would be the time.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football