2007 Baseball season

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2007 Baseball season

Postby Growler on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Only 29 days until first pitch of the 2007 Campaign. There's been a lot of negativity offered in some of the recent posts. We need to project a more positive outlook and support our program. Many of our players read these posts and I can only assume they're not too pleased with the way their program is being bashed. Hats off to Glehr who countered the negative posts and stood up for the Terriers. I'm looking forward to a bright & winning season. GO TERRIERS!
Growler

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:35 pm

You can call it what you want, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I haven't seen anything negative posted about the baseball team. All I've seen is the truth and serious questions asked that need to be raised. The bottom line is the program isn't even mediocre, and that would suffice most of our fans. All I hear in response to those on the board that are asking Why we are so bad is excuse after excuse. I hope that we have a great year, but all I or anyone else on the board has to go on is previous performance. Maybe this year will be different. We can only hope so. Go Terriers!
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby terriers on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:49 pm

I think, with 33 home games, fewer "monster" games, and most of
our squad returning, a .500 season is not an unrealistic goal. If we
don't achieve that, then Russell C. King should start to squirm.
terriers

Postby tdog on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:22 pm

There are actually 39 home games this year, which is a plus considering a 18-16 record at home last year. However, I wouldnt agree with fewer "monster" games; at South Caroling, at Clemson, at Georgia, at Georgia Tech, along with home dates with South Carolina and Tennessee. Ive seen people post on these boards suggesting that Traylor should quit scheduling these brutal games, they are completely wrong. Although those games hurt our overall record, they are a great experience to be a part of and a big recruiting tool to be able to tell recruits that they will travel and play at big time ACC and SEC schools.
tdog

Postby terriers on Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:56 am

Thanks, tdog, for the correction of 39 home games. Actually, we have
probably competed better in the "monster" games than we have in the
So Con. In all fairness to this program, the loss last season of three
starting pitchers and the shortstop clean-up hitter had to be devastating.
All are back this year and I think we will have a much better year.
For gosh sake, don't get swept again by Furman! I don't think I could
stand it.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:10 pm

I haven't seen any negativity in any posts toward the program. In fact the whole point of the posters (me being one) is in the opposite direction: we love our school and baseball program and are wanting to know what needs to be done to turn around a very frustating situation for alumni, players, coaches and anyone affiliated with Wofford. The facts are what the facts are: we have one of the worst records in the SoCon but our players, coaches, facilities, school, fans, and alumni are not. So where is the rub? I give all the credit in the world to our players who are talented kids and that's the whole point. It seems we have the players but why aren't we winning more (aside from last year and the injury bug)? I am not apologizing to anyone for asking that simple question and in no way is it, or should it be construed as, a reflection on our kids; nor has any poster make a commnet in that vein. But I will say this: if we start accepting losing, why play at all?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Amen, Ruckus. I was at Wofford with Russell King and I'll guarantee
you the teams he played on with four All-staters did not condone
losing. I know we play about four times more games now against
tougher competetion but we should not place baseball on the back
burner and reslve ourselves to being the conference doormat. Looks
to me like this should be the year of reckoning for Coach Traylor.
I'll put my love for Wofford up against anybody's.
terriers

Postby glehr on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 am

I think this year could be very promising. After reading all the posts, I have to agree that there isn't negativity (mocking) towards the program and you guys do agree that Wofford baseball isn't quite where it should be. I think the players athletically and skill wise can match up with most of the conference and that shows with impressive wins over USC, Ga. Southern, etc... For some reason, (maybe Traylor) the team doesn't show up on all days. I've seen these kids play and they can play the game. But under Traylor, how many kids have been drafted? Not one of his teams has ever gone to the NCAA's? I've seen players and teams who have been drafted and gone to the NCAA's and there's no way that some of the current/former players/teams weren't good enough to do any of those things. I just don't get it. I think this year will be a very good year for Wofford based on talent and skill level if everyone stays healthy. No excuses or even predictions, I just think this team has a lot of talent and should be able to win a bunch of game.
glehr

Postby tdog on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:24 am

with practice starting monday, and the season nearing 3 weeks away, im curious to know what people would consider a succesfull season. 39 home games provides plenty of opportunities to win, especially early in the year. I beleive 25 wins would be a step in the right direction and a .500 (28 wins) or better year would be great. What is a good win total?
tdog

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:31 am

tdog wrote:with practice starting monday, and the season nearing 3 weeks away, im curious to know what people would consider a succesfull season. 39 home games provides plenty of opportunities to win, especially early in the year. I beleive 25 wins would be a step in the right direction and a .500 (28 wins) or better year would be great. What is a good win total?

With that stadium, the schedule, and the players coming back, a winning season should be expected.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:24 am

Granted, we'd all like to see a winning season overall.

However, with the OOC schedule, and our recent history, a .500 record in SoCon competition to be a huge improvement.

If we don't see at least that level of competition, then I'm willing at that point to say that there is a problem.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16 pm

As usual, pitching will be the key. With Jesse Cole and Charles
Vartanian back at full strength, along with Austin Redwine, we should
be in pretty good shape if some of our young arms come through.
Also, I think the return of Waring in the infield with the power he
provides will be huge. I'm looking (and hoping) for a .500 season.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm

A .500 season would be a huge improvement and a welcome change in the current trend of the program. Expectations for more than that may be a little too unreasonable, but it all depends on 3 things: pitching, pitching, and pitching. We can do it if we stay healthy and get a little confidence. We need some breaks go our way early on.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:52 pm

As bleak as the basketball season has been, we can give thanks that hope
springs eternal on Feb 3 with the start of (as the Babe said) "baseball,
the only real game". Shortly I will be boarding a van with five other ole
Terriers and,as we have done the last 20 years, heading for Clearwater Beach for a week of baseball, budweiser, and BS (not nescessarily in
that order. Each year we all get better than the players we were and
we thoroughly analyze the strenghs and weaknesses of each Wofford
sport.

I am very optimistic that this year the Terriers will break out and make
make a good accounting of themselves. "Cheers" to the Terriers. "Play
Ball"!!
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Amen to that.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next