SoCon coaching changes

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SoCon coaching changes

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:15 am

Rumor has it that Coach Hamilton at Elon is gone. Any truth to this?

Are there any other coaching/staff changes elsewhere in Southern Conference football?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:52 am

Elon issued a press release stating that Paul Hamilton has resigned due to personal reasons-----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:48 am

Take a look at the Elon fan page:

http://www.elonfans.com

I can think of several personal reasons for his resignation after reading some of those posts.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:30 pm

Wow. I thought he had one more year there at least.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Interesting. I didn'y pay a lot of attention to Elon this year, but my impression was that they were getting a little more competitive. I'll be anxious to see what direction they go in their coaching search. By the way, turmoil like this makes me so glad that Wofford has a solid, stable coach and program. Consistency really is the key.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Elon fans always seem to hate their coach. It i s hard to picture their program turning around with dismal attendance and little fan support. The fact that coach Hamilton's son was the starting quarterback probably didn't help.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:50 pm

Elon fans always seem to hate their coach. It i s hard to picture their program turning around with dismal attendance and little fan support. The fact that coach Hamilton's son was the starting quarterback probably didn't help.

That's not entirely true. We stood behind Leon Hart in the DII days until he lost control of the team. I still somewhat question his dismissal in the 90s. We also stood firmly behind Seagraves until assistant coaching changes and poor recruiting doomed him.

Hamilton had his supporters at first, but constantly blaming the players in press conferences, 10 players flunking out, transfers he brought in getting into trouble, then blaming the administration, and playing his kid no matter what doomed him.

By the way, what lack of fan support are you talking about, and what dismal attendance? Beginning of the season, we were averaging well at 8500 until the wheels fell off and then the fans stopped coming. I mean, we've been piss poor for what, 4 seasons now and we still pull in 7000+ on average is pretty darn good.
gophoenix

Postby GoldandBlack on Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:26 am

gophoenix wrote:
By the way, what lack of fan support are you talking about, and what dismal attendance? Beginning of the season, we were averaging well at 8500 until the wheels fell off and then the fans stopped coming. I mean, we've been piss poor for what, 4 seasons now and we still pull in 7000+ on average is pretty darn good.

Point well made- I hope whoever you find as a coach will be a good one.

Nobody in the conference benefits by having one of the programs in turmoil. The SoCon's rep was built by having strong, competitive programs, and it's to everyone's benefit to have tough competition. For certain, Wofford has never backed away from the rugged tests (West Va. and Maryland come to mind).

It's a lot better to have three teams in the playoffs than just one or two.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:57 pm

This turmoil thing has got Elon fans feeling hopeless. We've pretty much always had competitive teams since the early 70s. There have been a few seasons here and there that have been sketchy, and the transition was a learning experience, but we started out strong in I-AA. I mean, we went from NAIA to DII to I-AA Indie to Big South to the SoCon in 10 years. We've yet to be in one place long enough to establish ourselves really.

I am hoping we can pull out of this funk, whatever coach we get, it's going to take some major hard work.

I am hoping for someone like Presbyterian's Spangler to get hired rather than hiring another coach like Hamilton who has struggled and comes in burned out.
gophoenix

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:06 am

gophoenix wrote: There have been a few seasons here and there that have been sketchy, and the transition was a learning experience, but we started out strong in I-AA. I mean, we went from NAIA to DII to I-AA Indie to Big South to the SoCon in 10 years. We've yet to be in one place long enough to establish ourselves really.

Sounds similar to Wofford's transition, the difference is Richardson's money and the consistency of the coaching staff. I think Elon will come around with time if they can find a good coach who looks to stay a while.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:07 am

Ditto to dungeonjoe- I remember many tough, tough games with the Fighting Christians.

Best of luck on the coaching search- Spangler is a hot topic everywhere right now.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:20 pm

We seem to have a few names right now.....

Rich McGeorge - Elon grad, NFL guy, Duke asst
Tommy Knotts - Former Duke asst and major NC high school coach
Tommy Spangler - Preby Coach (we've always had a good relationship with presby)
Mills? - Charleston Southern coach that has worked wonders there
Steele - Florida St asst

That's all so far, the school istyaing quiet though.
gophoenix

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 pm

I thought Steele was the named heir apparent in waiting for when Bowden retires. Maybe that has changed.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:28 am

The list seems to have changed some
Curt Cignetti - NC State asst
Jim Collins - Elon grad/Marshall Asst
Matt Ballard - HC Morehead St
Steele - Elon Asst under Hamilton
Billy Taylor - UTC DC, former Elon asst under Hamilton
Mike Sewak - former GSU head coach
gophoenix

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 am

I notice Mike Sewak has been added to your list.

Now THAT would be interesting- just think about all the story lines next year, and for years to come. That could make an instant rivalry if he is able to recruit the athletes he needs.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football