Scheduling?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Scheduling?

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:38 pm

Has anyone seen or heard anything about our possible out of conference games for next season?

I saw the posts about the potential game with Minnesota that apparently fell through. West Virgina and Georgetown were obviously one time shots and G-W and VMI were the second half of two game home and home series which could possibly be renewed, but I don't know what is gained by those matchups. Wofford was scheduled to host Coastal Carolina this year before the WVU game came up so I assume the Terriers might travel to Conway this coming season to start that series a year late.

I would like to see Coastal on the schedule, particularly since they probably are the odds on favorite for future conference expansion plus in-state games are always good. Beyond that, I'd love to see Wofford pick up some new opponents. Maybe Jacksonville State or Samford, or possibly some of the other OVC or A-10 schools. I know travel is a concern, but a more strenuous schedule would help with playoff positioning and also help increase the programs profile for recruiting and exposure.

Anyway, if anybopdy know anything or has heard any credible rumors, please share.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 am

according to the State newspaper last week Coastal will play GSU, Furman and and Wofford in 2006
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:48 am

They're also playing Elon.

How do Wofford fans feel about Coastal being one of the two front runners for the ETSU slot?
gophoenix

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:13 am

It is a good fit for Wofford as far as travel goes and SC exposure of the SoCon. I don't think it expands the footprint of the conference that well, though. We need to pick up a Georgia, Tennessee, or Virginia school to do that.

I have heard rumors of Chatty leaving as well on the AGS board. I don't know what thought is put into expansion, but I hope we are looking at some contigencies to keep the conference vital in all sports.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:27 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:according to the State newspaper last week Coastal will play GSU, Furman and and Wofford in 2006

I think I read on the Coastal board that they travel to GSU and Wofford but host Furman.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:59 pm

gophoenix wrote:They're also playing Elon.

How do Wofford fans feel about Coastal being one of the two front runners for the ETSU slot?

I feel fine about Coastal. They have had some academic issues, but so have other current SoCon member schools. It would be naive to keep them out based on that. They provide a good in-state rival for the Terriers and if the schedule is set up right, they allow Wofford to travel to the lowcountry every year which helps with alumni relations. I also believe that they are making a strong commitment to become a viable and competitive program.

Who would the other candidate be? Over the last few years I've heard everybody from Richmond and James Madison, to Hampton or North Carolina A&T, to Tennessee Tech and even Samford and Jacksonville State mentioned in addition to Coastal Carolina.

I'd like to see the SoCon go to 12 football schools and force out the non-football members, or possible be a 14 or 16 team league for sports like basketball. I think that would allow for better diversity and help attract some bigger schools to the league. After all, let's face it, the SoCon does not need to ignore the desires of the bigger schools because it would be hard to remain viable without GSU, Appalachian, Western, and Chattanooga. Thoughts?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:13 pm

I've heard we play SC State and Coastal Carolina early in the year. (Our first four games are SCSU, CCU. the purple baptists and the Boone Hillbillies for the first four games). I guess our season gets easier after that.

As farf as CCU in the SoCon, I thinkl it all has to do with what ASU does. If ASU stays I-AA then CCU would be a good fit. If ASU leaves, I see the SoCon moving towards a Southern Ivy League enterprise and Samford would be a better fit.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football