Well 2011 is just about in the books

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Well 2011 is just about in the books

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

Thoughts? Was any real progress made? Was this season a success? If we had just been able to make the tourney I wiould have said yes, but now I have to say no to both.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Well 2011 is just about in the books

Postby BGTerrier on Sat May 21, 2011 8:55 pm

We got swept to end the season for the 3rd straight year. This season was no different than any of the others under the current head coach. A few more overall wins were a result of an easy early schedule, and we finished with the same number of conference wins as last year. Pitching stats were better than last year and hitting took a huge dive, both the result of the bat change. I can’t see any evidence of progress, and the same problems still plague this program. It’s clear the head coach hasn’t made any productive changes, and the program is no better than when Coach Traylor left.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 am

Yep, BGTerrier, you hit the nail right on the head. No change...no change at all. And there will be no change next year, or the year after that...until Dick Johnson decides to find a way to fund this program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierballfan on Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 pm

As I wrote in an earlier message....what is acceptable? As long as we graduate future doctors and lawyers that played ball during their undergrad, is that acceptable? Given the challenge of recruiting against public schools (lower admission standards and tuition) in the same conference, is it understood we will never be near the top, so expectations are adjusted accordingly? Is 4 years with no tourney appearance acceptable? Is it okay to simply field a team with no winning criteria for the coaching staff? If the AD were to say this is not the case and we want to win, how will he back that up? People can say anything...it is actions that prove most things.
terrierballfan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu May 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Losing more than winning will never be acceptable to me. Either put forth a serious effort to at least break .500, or just drop the program, DICK Johnson!
You'll never see me just concede that we can't win- it's not in my nature! Oh, and BTW The College of Charleston graduates doctors and lawyers too- and they win a lot! It's not like Wofford has a monopoly on bright students.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu May 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Going after Richard Johnson in this context is unfair, in my view.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 27, 2011 11:05 am

lawdog wrote:Going after Richard Johnson in this context is unfair, in my view.

I believe going after the AD and the Board of Trustees is the only way to see any better funding come to baseball.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Looking back after a season, there are always close games that could have gone either way. I counted 15 conference results of 3 runs or less in 2011 and 11 in 2010. Of those close games, we lost 9 in each of the last 2 season. If we were to take 5 of those 9 losses and turn them into wins, we make the tourney and have a chance to play in the post season. I think this shows that we have the talent to compete in the conference. Winning the close games comes down to beating the other team at the "little things". Things like advancing runners with bunts and productive at-bats, hitting the cutoff man to limit extra bases, turning double-plays, and scoring runners from 3rd with less than 2 outs. Inability to do the "little things" shows a lack of coaching in my opinion. I've seen 8 year olds do most of these consistently, so it's not a question of ability. It's all about preparation and confidence built through quality practice, not quantity of reps that promote bad habits.

The teams that win more close games than they lose are successful year after year. Until Wofford can do this, we're just an average program on the outside looking in.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Denise on Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 pm

We should not continue on the same path. Something needs to change.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sun May 29, 2011 11:27 pm

31-85

That is the record of the baseball team in SOCON games over the last 4 years. That's barely winning 1 out of every 4 games. Is this acceptable to the athletic administration?
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 30, 2011 6:00 pm

TURKEYCREEK wrote:31-85

That is the record of the baseball team in SOCON games over the last 4 years. That's barely winning 1 out of every 4 games. Is this acceptable to the athletic administration?

The sad thing is that it is probably acceptable since the record is 82-198 for the prior 10 years in the SoCon!!!

We won 10 games in 1998(the first year in the SoCon) and 14 in 2002!!!!
Those are the only two years with 10 or more wins.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball