Respect for Graduates

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Respect for Graduates

Postby Actualfan11 on Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 am

I have been reading this board for a while now and have finally been "motivated" beyond belief by some of the arrogant without thought stuff that is posted on this website. Instead of formulating a post like on every other index appreciating the four years a senior class has given to a program there is more complaints about the head coach and laughing. Well I expected better from a fanbase as educated as Wofford's. Maybe the coach was laughing maybe thats because it is the last baseball game that seven of his players will ever participate in and what kind of person no human would be anything but grateful and joyous and appreciative of what his seniors have given him. So maybe I am the only blogger or whatever terrible title you all have given yourselves that applaudes the coach for being able to take this game off and let his players enjoy the last opportunity they may have to play the game they love and have sacrificed grades, a social life and relationships for. In my humble opinion everyone involved with this website should take a step back realize what they are writting. Here is the matter of facts like it or not from someone who knows more about baseball than obviosuly the typical wofford blogger. Wofford finished above two teams who are better funded than they are and from my understanding it is not close, Furman is going up to ten I believe next year, twice Wofford's. Tim Wallace could not make this team much better than it is currently without this problem being fixed. I do not know if he could recruit seeing as he is coming from a junior college and maybe he is a better coach than Coach I. However, it is not fair to either coach to compare them, Wallace is a great coach and deserves all the credit he receieves and some more. But Coach I like him or loathe him came in to a bad situation, not that Traylor was a bad coach, but that the school does not support the program.
To me what really speaks volumes about the coach is that in his senior class of eight he has three going to law school, one going to dental and one with a strong possibility of playing after school, not to downplay what the others are doing. Not to mention he did not have one disciplinary issue with a player. The football team had several players who it "cut ties" with and the basketball team let go one of the biggest recruits ever for some reason? I am not saying Coach Ayers or Coach Young dont deserve all the credit in the world their allegiance to our programs speaks magnitudes about their morales. However, I think with if I was going to RJ to complain about a head coach, I would first point out some positives they have produced and then speak about the negatives.
But without fail this post will fall on the deaf ears because as the saying goes "you can take a horse to water but can not make it drink." I will continue to be an avid supporter of Wofford in any sport and will be proud no matter what road they take.
Because in the long run "two roads diverged in a yellow wood" and all Wofford graduates took the road less traveled upon
Actualfan11

Re: Respect for Graduates

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 am

Need more schollies: agreed.
Need more admin support: agreed.
Players deserve respect: agreed.
Wallace (or whomever) may not have won more games: agreed.
Wofford is a special place with special kids who value more than just their ability to play baseball: agreed (note the recent APR rating for our baseball team).
However, I take issue with the proposition that Coach I came into "a bad situation". In 2008 he took over a team coming off a SoCon title and NCAA appearance; a player being highly drafted and nationally recognized (Waring) with another remaining on the team (Gilmartin); with a brand spanking new on campus stadium; and a lot of enthusiasm and energy in Wofford supporters as a result.
And there have been disciplinary issues too involving players and coaches. So no need for the high hat on that issue.
I realize that a positive from this season is we finished above 2 other teams in the conference. However, I think most Wofford supporters, alums, and certainly former players have higher expectations for our varsity programs and prefer us not to use "no $" as an excuse for not being more successful as well. Perhaps that is not entirely realistic but better baseball doesn't necessarily require more money.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu May 26, 2011 7:06 am

You make some valid points. Again, the I really think the major problem is Dick Johnson...he is just not being creative in finding a way to better fund the baseball program, and he seems like he does not care either. He is content to just let it continue to be what it is now, and that is a shame. I still think that the team should be better than what it is...poor fundamental baseball is not a result of lack of money, but of coaching, and Coach I has not exactly been a model of good behavior either...but the program will never truly be a SoCon threat with 4 scholarships. So Coach I was not the right choice for baseball coach and he was a shocking choice to me- perhaps Dick was able to get I for less money than Wallace- but he is not the main roadblock to baseball success at Wofford.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierballfan on Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

This issues may be priorities and respect for upperclassmen. Is the college committed to winning baseball games? Or has the coach been told to respect the upperclassmen and reward their academic success with playing time? What is the criteria for program evaluation? Is missing the conference tournament acceptable? The middle infield this year hit a combined .200. From a pure baseball point of view, clearly that is not getting the job done. Is the roster that thin and underclassmen not capable of performing any better? Or should freshman simply not expect to play much? As long as we are recruiting students first, players second with less than other schools in funding, we have a limited universe to recruit from. That universe will remain academic achievers who can play some ball from wealthy familes capable of handling Wofford tuition. We will always be near the bottom of the conference by our own design. The ultimate question should be posed to the AD: is this the case and acceptable?
terrierballfan

Postby BGTerrier on Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 am

So the only real positives you can come up with for Coach I are individual achievements that have nothing to do with the him at all. Please do not disrespect the graduating seniors by attaching Coach I to their accomplishments. Coach I had nothing to do with any of their off the field success, and if anything made it much more difficult to attain. The only connection Coach I had with these guys is that he "coached" them, and not very well I might add. If Coach I had half the character these guys have, Wofford baseball would be a far better off.

Coach I came into the best situation he could have dreamed of as a young coach. SoCon Tourney champs and a regional birth the previous year, he had the perfect opportunity to take the program and run with it. The program had enormous momentum and the AD along with Coach I squandered the opportunity. There's no guarantee the program would be any better than it is now, but Wofford will never know what could have been with a more experienced coach. The AD went with the cheaper candidate, sacrificing the baseball program in the process, just to save money. The problem with the hire was Coach I wasn't qualified for the job and still isn't even close.

This year's seniors were a great group of guys that I personally got to know while playing with them. It's a shame their season ended the same way mine did, without a postseason bid. I wish them the best as they move on from Wofford.
BGTerrier

Postby BossTerrier on Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Actualfan11 wrote:I have been reading this board for a while now and have finally been "motivated" beyond belief by some of the arrogant without thought stuff that is posted on this website. Instead of formulating a post like on every other index appreciating the four years a senior class has given to a program there is more complaints about the head coach and laughing. Well I expected better from a fanbase as educated as Wofford's. Maybe the coach was laughing maybe thats because it is the last baseball game that seven of his players will ever participate in and what kind of person no human would be anything but grateful and joyous and appreciative of what his seniors have given him. So maybe I am the only blogger or whatever terrible title you all have given yourselves that applaudes the coach for being able to take this game off and let his players enjoy the last opportunity they may have to play the game they love and have sacrificed grades, a social life and relationships for. In my humble opinion everyone involved with this website should take a step back realize what they are writting. Here is the matter of facts like it or not from someone who knows more about baseball than obviosuly the typical wofford blogger. Wofford finished above two teams who are better funded than they are and from my understanding it is not close, Furman is going up to ten I believe next year, twice Wofford's. Tim Wallace could not make this team much better than it is currently without this problem being fixed. I do not know if he could recruit seeing as he is coming from a junior college and maybe he is a better coach than Coach I. However, it is not fair to either coach to compare them, Wallace is a great coach and deserves all the credit he receieves and some more. But Coach I like him or loathe him came in to a bad situation, not that Traylor was a bad coach, but that the school does not support the program.
To me what really speaks volumes about the coach is that in his senior class of eight he has three going to law school, one going to dental and one with a strong possibility of playing after school, not to downplay what the others are doing. Not to mention he did not have one disciplinary issue with a player. The football team had several players who it "cut ties" with and the basketball team let go one of the biggest recruits ever for some reason? I am not saying Coach Ayers or Coach Young dont deserve all the credit in the world their allegiance to our programs speaks magnitudes about their morales. However, I think with if I was going to RJ to complain about a head coach, I would first point out some positives they have produced and then speak about the negatives.
But without fail this post will fall on the deaf ears because as the saying goes "you can take a horse to water but can not make it drink." I will continue to be an avid supporter of Wofford in any sport and will be proud no matter what road they take.
Because in the long run "two roads diverged in a yellow wood" and all Wofford graduates took the road less traveled upon

Coach I, is that you? :P
BossTerrier

Postby Actualfan11 on Thu May 26, 2011 9:31 pm

The entire point of my post was not to congratulate Coach I, I have no idea if he has anything to do with these seniors on or off field accomplishments. It was more to recognize some seniors but it appears I would have more luck on another schools board. I think Cocah I or the adminstration should have done a better job creating scholarships or funding I dont know whose fault that is.The recoginition Waring bought should have done things for the program but losing him and Brandt statistically is losing more than thirty five percent of your offense which is the reason you won a conference title and got a regional birth.
Actualfan11

Postby BGTerrier on Fri May 27, 2011 10:32 am

Actualfan11, do you meet the age requirement to post on this forum? Your posts make very little sense and it's kind of hard to understand what you're talking about. It is not the coaches job to create funding, that falls on the athletic department and administration.

In 2007, we had one of the top offenses in the conference and maybe the country. It was a lot more than just Waring and Brandt. Even with the great offense we had, we still limped into the conference tournament as our pitching was average at best. The reason we won the tourney was largely in part to the pitching getting hot and matched the offensive production. 2007 stats - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/stats.asp?Y=2007&T=21091

The athletic department squandered a great opportunity after winning the tourney, we'll never know what could have been.
BGTerrier

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

Ruckus wrote:Need more schollies: agreed.
However, I take issue with the proposition that Coach I came into "a bad situation". In 2008 he took over a team coming off a SoCon title and NCAA appearance; a player being highly drafted and nationally recognized (Waring) with another remaining on the team (Gilmartin); with a brand spanking new on campus stadium; and a lot of enthusiasm and energy in Wofford supporters as a result.

Is this a serious statement or a joke? That team that won it all would not even qualify for the tournament today. The rules were changed the following year.
That team won something like 7 games that socon season and won 5 in the tourny!!1 The stars lined up somehow.
That tournament was really the Brandon Waring show. He got hot and set some SoCon tourny records that might not be broken. He hit homers and drove in runs like a MLB superstar.
I recall some losses that season that led to Coach Traylors resignation that make the loses of 2011 look like nailbiters.
The win in 2007 and the enthuisiasm might have been what has held this program back. People think it can happen again, when in reality it can not!!! Lightening does not strike in the same place twice. It is time to fund the program. Then we can hold the coach accountable for his record.
dialing8

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Is this a serious statement or a joke?

Was the SoCon title a joke? Was the NCAA appearance a joke? Was having one of the best offensive stats in the country a joke? Was our pitching performance in the tourney a joke?

Agree or not, the facts are undisputable and true. Downplay the success of the 2007 team all you like, but it doesn't change the facts. We had a lot of momentum coming out of the season and didn't capitalize.

When the excuses for this program stop, we might start to see some different results.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Ruckus wrote:

We had a lot of momentum coming out of the season and didn't capitalize.

Didn't nearly all the momentum graduate or leave after the 2007 tourny win?
dialing8

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Ruckus wrote:

Downplay the success of the 2007 team all you like, but it doesn't change the facts.

By the way I am not downplaying the 2007 team. I am proud of the success, but I will not "upplay" it as if winning the title was something that should have or could have changed the course of the program without Richard and the school giving the program the 11.7 schollys that it should have.
Just like winning the SoCon in soccer was nice last year, it did not and will not translate whan they play with 5 schollys. They had a great team that won, but leta see how long it will take to win soccer again.
Also let us see how long it will take for basketball to win again after losing the core 5 that led to the run that the team had the last two years-----and remember the have money to throw at talented kids.
dialing8

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Another point about scholarships-----anyone know hat it cost Ga. Southern to get Victor Roache?
Before you read further please understand that the kid led the country in homers in the "dead bat" years that started this season.
29 home runs. This is a game changing player. He was previously drafted. He is from the north.
Well Ga. Southern gave him a full ride. Unheard of in baseball!!!!
One full scholly for one kid. We couldn't have offered him 1/2!!!!!
dialing8

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Then don't underestimate the momentum an enthusiasm a SoCon championship and NCAA berth can bring to a program.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball