Lack of Respect for Head Coach

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Lack of Respect for Head Coach

Postby american gentleman on Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 pm

I would like to point out some other concerns regarding the head coach. It seems to me that the players don't get the credit they deserve because of the lack of respect from the coach's peers. Example 1: Last year there were several players I feel should have been recognized by the conference for their individual performances. For example prior to him being recognized as Player of the Week Mac Doyle should have been named so several times. Example 2: We are always rated last in the conference in preseason regardless of number of returning starters or high profile recruits. Example 3: Mac Doyle was the only player to make the all conference team list.( Congratulations to Mac and he deserved to be first team IMO.)The question is how did some of the other players who had better stats than some of those that made the list not get named to first or second team? The general lack of respect for the head coach is hurting the players and the program. Example 4: Cash Collins' ERA was better than some that made the all conference team. Go figure. This is not a reflection on the players but the head coach in my opinion.
american gentleman

Re: Lack of Respect for Head Coach

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 24, 2011 8:01 am

I am definitely not a Coach I fan and everyone knows I think he's the wrong man for the job, though I have started to give him some slack due to the fact that Dick Johnson won't support his program any.

But I think that it is not necessarily a mere lack of respect for our coach that causes our palyers to be shortchanged in player of the week/all conference selections, it is our overall lack of success as a D-1 program period. We are seen as a losing program, so our players tend to be ignored, unfair as it may be. That is also why we are always picked last in the conference.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 24, 2011 11:20 am

To me it's all part and parcel that is the morass of what we now call our baseball program. There is no denying that our players, who are very capable, talented and hardworking, are the ones suffering for it.
However, respect is hard earned; it is not a given. In '98, we were given very little respect in football. Today, after 12 years of competitiveness and winning, that has changed (although we still don't get the respect we deserve, especially when it comes to our talent level). We are seeing it change in basketball too. Funny things happen when you whip people's butts on the field/court; they start to respect you. But short of that, you don't get it especially with a brand new young coach who has only been in the business a few short years.
We want respect? Stop getting swept, stop getting baserunners picked off of third, stop making errors, get bunts down, hit the cut off man, I.E. play good fundamental basbeall and win more games.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Our baseball team is about where UNC's basketball team was a few years ago when Matt Doherty was the coach. Doherty was young, insecure and untested, and it showed; the players were virtually demoralized. Along came Roy...who was experienced and unquestionably in charge...and the players responded to his obvious enthusiasm and experience. No substitute for experience and enthusiasm. UNC got past it...nothing personal Matt...and Wofford would too...nothing personal Coach I. We have some talent, and the team deserves excellent leadership.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm

lawdog wrote:Our baseball team is about where UNC's basketball team was a few years ago when Matt Doherty was the coach. Doherty was young, insecure and untested, and it showed; the players were virtually demoralized. Along came Roy...who was experienced and unquestionably in charge...and the players responded to his obvious enthusiasm and experience. No substitute for experience and enthusiasm. UNC got past it...nothing personal Matt...and Wofford would too...nothing personal Coach I. We have some talent, and the team deserves excellent leadership.

One of the best post i've seen in the baseball forum!
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I agree that the Matt Doherty and Todd Interdonato were both thrown into situations they were not prepared for .Other than that Wofford baseball and Carolina basketball have little in common. Not trying to be critical, just realistic. Two totally different situations and decisions made for different reasons.
american gentleman

Postby american gentleman on Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm

As follow-up excellent leadership is needed but Wofford does not have the Carolina basketball budget to work with. On the other hand how much do character and motivational skills cost?
american gentleman

Postby terrierballfan on Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

The weekend was embarassing no doubt. I feel bad for the seniors who started this season with high hopes, if you can call it that, of finishing at least in 8th place and going to the tournament. Questions remain as to why this team underachieved. More importantly, what is the committment from the college to the baseball program? What are the expectations? What is acceptable in terms of on field performance and what is not? Regardless, It will be fun next year to see the talented 2011 freshman finally play.
terrierballfan

Return to Baseball