some very disturbing things from season ending game...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

some very disturbing things from season ending game...

Postby ILoveWofford on Sat May 21, 2011 10:01 pm

It had been awhile since I could make it out to a game, just been busy with a bunch of stuff. Had today free and decided to catch the season ending double header. A few disturbing things came to me watching and observing today. I have been to some games earlier in the season and noticed today that the terriers had a different base coach and the old guy was not in the dugout. I asked around and was shocked to hear that the coach was fired or dismissed from team for some off the field altercation of some sort and it resulted in some arrests...this was this coach's second major occurrence of the year...how was he still there to screw up again? Second thing on the day was that I found out when I got to the park that wofford had already been eliminated from the socon tourney (again) going into today's last two games. I finally left after a huge inning early in the second game of the double header and it was for a few reasons. It was very obvious that not only did the players not really care, but I witnessed the coach and part of the staff laughing at something humorous in the dugout. Not sure what is so humorous about getting swept to end the year at home, or was it it funny that the terriers did not score even ONE run in three games...was it funny that the team ended the season well under .500 again or that they finished the season 11-28 after starting 11-5?

This program is seriously dormant. Nothing happening on the field and all sorts of chaos off the field, with players and multiple assistant coaching changes over the past few years. Its hard to go watch this team, there is just nothing really positive about anything or anyone in the baseball program. Just glad that our basketball team has been great last two years and the football team is always solid. Something has got to happen with baseball, its almost like watching a club sport at wofford.
ILoveWofford

Re: some very disturbing things from season ending game...

Postby shortstop02 on Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 am

next time you question whether these players care or not maybe you should stay after the game and find that out for yourself. You didn't see the seniors with tears in their eyes after the game today. If your a true baseball fan you stay till the end no matter what. you don't leave when according to you a "big inning early" happens, which by the way was 4 runs in the third. If you had stayed you would have seen the awful 7th which actually was a big inning giving up 7 off our bullpen. The only thing I agree with is that this weekend sucked. We didn't score a run, bunts/hits didn't fall when they should have and thats just how baseball goes. You guys expect a national champion out of this team and thats not where we are at. This program is underfunded and the teams you talk about (basketball/football) have plenty of funding. How about giving some of these guys that dedicate their college careers some effing help out there! I personally know some of these guys and for you to question whether they care or not really pisses me off. They do the best with what they have, and that is talent that isn't as good as the other teams in the conference because we can't recruit without money. Keep talking about how crappy coach I is or how these guys don't care and it is not going to get this program anywhere. Hire coach line again or hire wallace and without funding these guys don't do any better. Money attracts talent, and until there is better pitching and more money to go out and get big offensive guys the same thing is going to happen year after year. It is always blamed on the coaching bc it starts at the top but who should really be held responsible is the board who makes the decisions. Give this damn program some money and see where it can go. I challenge you to come out to the first conference series for next year if you can fit it into your schedule, and come find me. Stay for the whole game and talk to some of the players and question them on their desire.
shortstop02

Postby Oak Grove on Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 am

Some of you neophytes seem unaware that at one time, football was winning with barely half of the scholarships of the SoCon opposition. Football earned its current funding level based on an established record of success when it had far less.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 am

I don't think there's a player in the program that doesn't care, or doesn't want to win. With the time and effort put into playing college baseball, a player would be stupid to go through everything and simply not care. It's a big commitment and is not for lackadaisical or weak spirited. With Wofford eliminated from the tourney, there's not much to play for, for the starters who've played 50+ games. Why didn't the bench guys play more yesterday when the games didn't mean anything? Put some of the subs in and give the regulars a break. One of the greatest things last year was watching the bench players and seniors play well in the last few games. This is a prime example of why the coaching staff just doesn't understand the job and should be replaced by men who value and respect the players they coach.

It's hard to see any money in the future of this program which such poor performance. Like I said a while back, win some games and give people a reason to watch Wofford baseball and funding will come. Why would any money be put into a program that finishes at the bottom, year in and year out? I'm not asking for 56-0, but 10-15 conference wins every year is definitely possible with the current talent. We should be able to win 1 of 3 each series, and shouldn't be getting swept 3 or 4 times every single year. While increasing funding would bring in some talent, winning will draw the most talent. We could have all the money in the world, but if we suck no one will come. I also think it will be hard to draw good talent with the current coaches, due to their limited success and lack of qualifications. There's no development under these coaches, and if anything, players get worse. I can't count on one hand the number of players that actually got better during my time at Wofford. Why would a player want to come to a program where they're not going to get better and have a chance to play at the next level?

The underlying problem with this program is the coaching staff and the fact that they aren't cutout to do the job. Until the program makes a change, no amount of funding will turn this program around.
BGTerrier

Postby BossTerrier on Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Money alone doesnt win championships. Ask the yankees. There is alot that can be done regardless of the scholarships available. I am a president level TC member but damn if i want 1 red cent going to fund a baseball program led by an immature coach. It matters significantly who is at the helm. Its not just money.

I wouldnt waste my hard earned donation on this coach. Trust is a given, respect is earned. I dont trust coach i after the performance the past few years on and off the field, therefore he certainly hasnt earned my respect.
BossTerrier

Postby american gentleman on Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 pm

BossTerrier, I agree totally with your comments. No one is going to contribute to this program unless some changes are made and the funding may even decrease.
american gentleman

Postby lawdog on Mon May 23, 2011 7:00 am

Losing 23-0 in three games with UNCG is a big eye opener. Where were the bats?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 23, 2011 7:00 am

Oops.
Last edited by lawdog on Mon May 23, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 am

Having 2-5 or Wallace at the helm may or may not put any more W's on the board but I can guarantee you the attitudes and approach to the game would change.
However, having a revolving door at HC does more harm than good too. The admin picked their horse 4 years ago and they better ride him til he falters. More money is needed but intangibles need to change too. Tough situation all the way around for everyone involved.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am

The right carpenter gets the house built, regardless of the tools.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 am

An individual can't create or change intangibles. You either have them or you don't, and the current head coach isn't anywhere close. Putting new money into this program would be an enormous mistake, like adding fuel to an already out of control fire.
BGTerrier

Return to Baseball