SoCon Tournament--here is how Wofford gets in

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

SoCon Tournament--here is how Wofford gets in

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 pm

I understand that Wofford loses the tiebreaker to Western and wins the tiebreaker with Citadel. So Wofford has to win more games than Western this weekend OR they can get into a 3 way tie with Western and Citadel(Western is at Citadel this Thursday, Friday and Saturday and would need to lose 2 to the Citadel while Wofford wins 1). Wofford wins a three way tie with these teams. Of course the best thing to do is win all 3 against UNC-G, but if Citadel fights to get into the SoCon which is played on their field Wofford could get in with a win or two.
This issue and what Wofford has to do will be very clear before the first pitch Friday night since Western and Citadel will have completed two of their 3 games before Cash Collins throws his first pitch!!
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Re: SoCon Tournament--here is how Wofford gets in

Postby BossTerrier on Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm

If we get in who would we play?
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Elon, the #1 team.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 17, 2011 7:18 am

How is it that Elon, a small private school very similar to Wofford, has such a superior baseball program to us. Where do they find the money and scholarships and why can't Wofford do like them? We are both academically strong institutions with football teams. If they can do it, we should be able to. I am starting to think our athletic department is simply cheap and also just indifferent when it comes to some programs, baseball among them. Or maybe Elon is doing what was suggested here before and instead of fully funding football and giving free rides to benchwarmers, they are allocating some extra schollies to baseball because they know football is fine with a few less. Whatever it is, they are doing something right...something Wofford isn't.

Oh well, I know I got off topic there. Good luck to the Dogs against UNCG and good luck to The Citadel against WCU. If we can just get in, anything could happen...it did in 2007.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 am

dialing8 wrote:Elon, the #1 team.

how did we do against them this year?
BossTerrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 am

We were swept, but two of the games were one-run affairs, one of those in 12 innings...so we "played them tough" if there is such a thing in baseball.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Elon has 5,000 plus students and is the 2nd largest private school in N.C. (it's bigger than Wake Forest). While not academically "challenged", I would not rate it's academics on par with us. It has benefitted greatly from the generosity of several wealthy alums and is planning I am told a law school. I would not consider it to be equivalent to Wofford in many aspects other than it is private and fields a football team.
That said, their baseball program is nearly fully funded (if not completely now) and their admin has a clear and unequivocal commitment to winning baseball games.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Ruckus wrote:Elon has 5,000 plus students and is the 2nd largest private school in N.C. (it's bigger than Wake Forest). While not academically "challenged", I would not rate it's academics on par with us. It has benefitted greatly from the generosity of several wealthy alums and is planning I am told a law school. I would not consider it to be equivalent to Wofford in many aspects other than it is private and fields a football team.
That said, their baseball program is nearly fully funded (if not completely now) and their admin has a clear and unequivocal commitment to winning baseball games.

Elon had a very good baseball team before joining the SoCon, with a few at-large invitations to the NCAA tournament while in the Big South.

Like the Citadel, baseball has been a high priority at Elon.

On the other hand, how many SoCon football and men's basketball championships do those schools have over the last 10 years? It's basically just a result of priorities, and baseball at Wofford has never been a high priority. We have limited resources, and so far, they have been allocated to the high visibility sports. Our football team will get more media attention from playing one game in TiggerTown than the baseball team will get for a whole season.

Our baseball program should be better funded (at least we try, unlike Chattanooga), but taking money from football and baseball is not the answer.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 17, 2011 5:22 pm

We do have limited resources but 2 fully funded teams in football and basketball and it speaks volumes for our priorities.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Ruckus wrote:We do have limited resources but 2 fully funded teams in football and basketball and it speaks volumes for our priorities.

Golf is fully funded and we havent done anything with that. Just sayin'.
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 18, 2011 7:00 am

My understanding is golf is fully funded from private gifts endowing the scholarship slots as opposed to relying on general T-club funds. If I am incorrect, then it's a travesty golf gets priority over baseball.
I get your point, Boss: schollies don't always equate to success. But generally the more money a program has, the more competitive it seems to be.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 am

Ruckus wrote:We do have limited resources but 2 fully funded teams in football and basketball and it speaks volumes for our priorities.

And I think those are good priorities to have. I am a big baseball fan, and I'd really like to see Wofford win in the sport a lot, but football and basketball are clearly the two biggest moneymaking sports and IMO it is definitely important to make them as competitive as you can first, then baseball would be next. Elon, however, seems to disagree with that philosophy for whatever reason. Does Title IX hurt baseball at Wofford any?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:51 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:

Does Title IX hurt baseball at Wofford any?

It hurts baseball all over the country.
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Thu May 19, 2011 3:11 pm

but football and basketball are clearly the two biggest moneymaking sports

Wofford does not make money from football or basketball. In fact, only a handful of really BIG programs make money from football.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Thu May 19, 2011 3:28 pm

woffordgrad94 is referring to revenue generation, not profitability. Football and men's basketball are the biggest revenue-generating sports by far.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball