May 4, 6, 7, 8...USC, GSU (3)

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: May 4, 6, 7, 8...USC, GSU (3)

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I agree with your basic premise that more scholarships equal better and deeper talent. I understand the difficulties in trying to field a competitive team with 4 or 4.5 schollies.
I do not believe however that it takes a more talented player to hit a cut off man, field a bunt and take the out, avoid being picked off 1st base (or 3rd) with 2 men on, get a simple bunt down, and/or field a routine ground ball and throw it 1st base. These things I have witnessed too many times over the last few years for my liking. Like I said, I understand losing to superior talent; what I don't understand is not doing the little things right which really have very little correlation to the level of talent of thwe players doing them.
I also think it's a bit of an excuse/justification to simply throw up our collective hands and say "We can't compete because we don't have any money." We have have good talent suiting up for us on any given day from what I have seen. Maybe not as much as some teams in our conference, but enough to compete IF we do things the right way fundamentally and with a different, more competitive mindset.
This past weekend is a prime example (GSU is a quality club). But for the blow out game, the Elon series was too IMO.
I sense things may be changing (I hope); let's keep our fingers crossed and stay positive. All we need to do is end the season strong on a good note by winning the last 2 series and build on that next year, and the next, and the next.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball