Wofford/CofC Saturday's game

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford/CofC Saturday's game

Postby GoCougsGo on Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm

One more thing, please do not think that I came on here to attack Wofford as I certainly didn't intend to. I think Wofford is a great place and personally, had I known about the school when I was in college, I would have given serious consideration to attending. Everyone that I have ever known who attended Wofford or who works there has been nothing but wonderful. Graduates that I know are quite successful as well.

The only reason I said what I did is that these kids from JuCo's are perfectly acceptable and are often admitted to all institutions in this state. In fact, Wofford was admitting them left and right in 2007 and 2008 (Florence-Darlington Tech to be exact). It seems that your current coach has abolished that trend which in some sports is the way to do it. I applaud him for trying to build a program without transfers but let's be honest, in baseball, they are a necessity to build it up and make it marketable.
GoCougsGo

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

A 3.0 at SMC will transfer a student to Wofford.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby rhfterrier on Wed May 04, 2011 5:57 pm

For anyone who thinks that Juco kids can't get into Wofford, please refer to 2007 and 2008 roster. All kids recruited by the current coach.
rhfterrier

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 04, 2011 6:25 pm

I take no issue with the premise that JUCO or prep school kids can get into Wofford. Obviously they have, can, and will. I do think it is valid however to point out that not all JUCO/Prep kids meet our admission stds (and even if admitted, would have a difficult time staying eligible which is an entirely different issue altogether), even when some of our SoCon bretheren will gladly take them. Wofford's academic standards and requirements speak for themselves so there is no need to try to tout them and compare schools; but to suggest that our basketball team's success somehow indicates we are making exceptions and "half" our kids don't meet our standards for the sake of athletic success is where I take issue. Our basketball team ranks solidly among our top performing teams academically as I recall and to suggest "half" of the team wouldn't/shouldn't qualify is simply wrong and shows ignorance of our programs and school. I would suggest becoming more informed in the future before posting such statements because it weakens your credibility considerably.
While I generally disfavor prep/ JUCO transfers, baseball (and to some extent basketball too) is different. I see no need for exclusion if the kid meets our requirements for character, academic, and athletic stds. Kids typically go JUCO in baseball for athletic reasons, not academic in order to develop skills and physical talents as well as mature physically. This provides them greater opportunities to play college ball at a higher level. Some of these kids are good capable students who want to maximize their athletic careers as opposed to settling for lower level ball, or perhaps none at all. While I respect an effort to avoid "quick fixes" for our program, we are missing out on a great deal of talent if we are not recruiting in these circles. And Lord knows, we need all the help we can get.
I wonder whether we are not recruiting JUCO players or whether JUCO players (and coaches) are not interested in us.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball