Wofford/CofC Saturday's game

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford/CofC Saturday's game

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:15 pm

"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford/CofC Saturday's game

Postby Ruckus on Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am

After a somewhat competitive game Friday night, we give up 24 runs. Disappointing. CoC is one of the best teams in the league, but losing conference games by almost 20 runs is embarassing. At least Mac Doyle had a great day at the plate.
It seems our pitching is waning late in the year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 am

As long as the current staus quo of the program is maintained, we will remain incapable of putting a true Division 1 caliber baseball team on the field. Other teams will privately joke about us and look forward to playing us because it is frankly fun for them as well as a big ego boost for them to be able to consistently beat us, and at times just totally wallop us. But if we want to stop being THAT team all the time year after year, as I've said countless times previously, some major changes have to be made on the double. I don't understand why a few posters on here (Dialing8 and Natural in particular come to mind) want to blindly defend this program when it is so obvious to the rest of us that it is a total train wreck right now. But it is always interesting (and entertaining) to see what these Wofford baseball "yes men" have to say, and I look forward to their latest defense of the mess we call a baseball program.

BTW, let's have some fun and predict today's final score: I'll say 14-4 (Charleston, of course).
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201104 ... vs-Wofford Looks like C of C has five SMC alums on its roster. I would surmise that the SMC coach does not send many to Wofford, because of the strain with his alma mater, the relative lack of success of Wofford's program of late, or both.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 am

lawdog wrote:http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110430/ARTICLES/110509994/1088/sports?Title=Gantt-makes-impact-drives-in-3-for-Cougars-vs-Wofford Looks like C of C has five SMC alums on its roster. I would surmise that the SMC coach does not send many to Wofford, because of the strain with his alma mater, the relative lack of success of Wofford's program of late, or both.

I'm not sure a lot of SMC alums could get into Wofford these days.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 01, 2011 2:06 pm

If I were Tim Wallace, I would definitely discourage my players from attending Wofford. First and foremost, he, one of Wofford's OWN no less, got totally shafted by the school. Second, the Wofford baseball program is going nowhere and has very poor leadership. Finally, most people that go to SMC are probably not Wofford material academically anyway. Wofford professors give athletes no extra slack that other students do not get, Wofford does not have easy classes designed specifically for athletes, and Wofford will not change the grades of athletes or get others to take tests and exams for them...I wonder if all those things can be said of Charleston?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Sun May 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Lost Finale 7-5, series sweep by CofC
BGTerrier

Postby american gentleman on Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

After the results of the weekend what are our chances of making the tournament and what would have to happen for that to be possible?
american gentleman

Postby american gentleman on Sun May 01, 2011 4:58 pm

After the results of the weekend what are our chances of making the tournament and what would have to happen for that to be possible?
american gentleman

Postby BGTerrier on Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Wofford has 6 conference wins and are 2 games behind Citadel for the final spot in the playoffs. We have 3 conference series left, at Georgia Southern, at Samford, and UNCG at home. In order to make the post season, I think we would have to win at least 5 of the remaining 9 conference games to have a shot. We have to go to GSU and then to Samford on back to back weekends, which are both 5+hr trips. This team has struggled on the road, and I just can't see that changing, especially with two long road trips. With the remaining schedule like it is, I find it hard to believe there's any chance of reaching the tourney. Maybe the team will catch fire and win 6 or 7 games, but baring that the season is over.
BGTerrier

Postby lawdog on Sun May 01, 2011 10:06 pm

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2011/ ... 10443.aspx Sounds like we played much better in the finale...one more hit here and there and we win.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoCougsGo on Sun May 01, 2011 11:52 pm

I can assure you that we have no watered down programs at CofC and that our kids have to work equally as hard as anyone else at any other school. Coach Lee recruits solid B level transfer students from SMC and they all have graduated and on time.

I would encourage you to do some research on admissions statistics for all the conference schools. I've heard that this years admission rate to CofC will dip to 46%
GoCougsGo

Postby lawdog on Tue May 03, 2011 4:33 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

None of these players could get into Wofford and many of their juco credits would not transfer so it is a moot point.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoCougsGo on Wed May 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Natural wrote:None of these players could get into Wofford and many of their juco credits would not transfer so it is a moot point.

And do you know this for sure? I seriously doubt you know what your talking about or half of Wofford's basketball team would have never been admitted to your institution to begin with. The same goes for CofC or any Southern Conference school.

As far as transferring credit from a JuCo, there is a uniform transfer policy from most 2 year schools in South Carolina to 4 year schools in South Carolina irregardless of private or public affiliation. So, your inclination that none of the credit would transfer is incorrect. Stop by your admissions office and have a chat with the admissions director. I am sure he would tell you the same thing I am writing today.
GoCougsGo

Next

Return to Baseball