With apologies to The Foundations

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

With apologies to The Foundations

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Five nice wins in a row, then two bad losses to the team that was in last place in the conference...well, we find ourselves in our old familiar basement slot yet again. Kiss the SoCon tourney good bye! A little song for the team...

Why do you build me up, buttercup, baby just to let me down...

A lot of people just blame lack of funding for sucking and let it go at that...well, not me. I think we need to DO SOMETHING DRASTIC and SOON!!! But what that something is I really couldn't say. Oh yes I could...hire a new coach...RIGHT NOW!!! And if you don't like my posts that have both feet firmly in reality, then in honor of Easter you can go suck an egg! I HATE BEING LAST ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: With apologies to The Foundations

Postby ILoveWofford on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

I am right in with this post. A lot of these posters and viewers do not live in reality at all. I have been saying that for years now. Listen just look at the facts....the team, the players, some situations around the team and all the on the field and off the field coaching mistakes...This squad is just like the old ones. Not very good at all. Reality...sometimes you just have to admit that things are not as good as you may want them to be.
ILoveWofford

Postby BGTerrier on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:15 pm

I agree 100% that drastic change is needed to make this program successful. It's not fair to the players to have such unqualified coaches leading this program. The two senior coaches have had more than enough time to show progress, with no avail. I've seen first hand the inadequacies of Coach Interdonato and Coach Blake, and thought a change should have been made last year. It's time to go in a different direction, I hope the administration chooses to act.

I noticed the Elon coach won his 500th career game today. This is the type of coach Wofford should look to hire. We need a game changer, to turn this program around.
BGTerrier

Postby dialing8 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 pm

You guys are a joke. You sit around and wait for the team to lose to pop back in and post some crap like this. You should be ashamed. As much as I would like to have Joe Torre as our coach he would only win us a few more games over the entire season. Reality is that we only have a limited number of players that could start for other teams in the SoCon and that is because of funding!!!
This team is playing their butts off only to have you guys come on here and spit out a bunch of 'hate the coaches junk". Since some of you are recent grads have you spoken to some of the teams leaders to see if the coaches have gotten better, etc.?
Some of you have not attended a game in years and think you know it all. When was coach I called on to field a groundball?? He can not catch and throw if for our players, they have to do it. When you have limited funds and injuries and players that might not be panning out, the coach is stuck with a kid for FOUR years. Wofford is not a school that will allow the coach to pull the players money and replace him like they do in Columbia. Wofford has to hope they never miss on a recruit and has to pray for no injuries. Neither of these are realistic in baseball.
I believe Coach I has recruited well with his limited resourses. He has a pretty good team that has caught very few breaks.
Would we all have wanted an older more mature coach 4 years ago, probably!!! We did not get that and now we have a coach that appears to be getting seasoned with maturity. All this program needs is to get rid of him and go get another young coach that will go through the same growing pains that Coach I has gone through.
Since there are so few fans that attend SoCon games, it is easy to spot the Wofford fans that are always around and you three posters are not at the games unless you are hiding in the soccer bleachers. Why don't you come to the CofC series this weekend and see a team that has just about every kid on their roster that South Carolina and a few other major D1s could not get into school or ran off at the last minute. This is the type team that full funding gets you, but I believe our team will come out ready to play and will never roll over and die.
Hope to continue this discussion with any of you in person next weekend. I plan to attend. How about you? Don't just read the box score and then hide behind your keyboard typing nonsense.
dialing8

Postby BGTerrier on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I don't doubt for a minute the players are playing hard. I know exactly what the players go through, and I was a part of some of some of the worst losses in Wofford baseball history. I've never once talked bad about the players or doubted the effort given on a daily basis. The athletic and academic commitments at Wofford are second to none, and I know what they're going through.

I have no idea how you can claim "we have a coach that appears to be getting seasoned with maturity", when this program is plagued by the same mistakes year in and year out. Lack of fundamentals and poor game management have killed the program since Coach Interdonato took over. Are we just supposed to be satisfied with another bottom 3 conference finish, with a maybe 2 or 3 win increase in conference play? Is that really progress we can get excited about?

I don't believe the current coaches can get the job done, and I don't think we should look for another young inexperienced coach. I believe there are proven coaches that would jump at the opportunity to coach at a D1 school in the SoCon. It's clear this situation isn't working and changes need to be made.

For the record, I've been to multiple weekend series this year, some good and some bad. I still see the same problems of years past, things that could and should be easily fixed.
BGTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 am

2 points as an aside: we gave up 25 runs? Really? I played in somwe high scoring games at the old Law Field but 25 runs in new era of bats is astounding. I haven't seen a box score but how many errors did we have? At least we scored 14 ourselves.
Also, no one should take any comfort in the thought of firing the current staff after the debacle that was our last "national search" for a baseball coach. Talk about a complete joke of a process. If we were to make a change (which won't happen), I have absolutely zero confidence in "the commitee" to make the right call on a replacement.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Dialing8, I would come to a game of the C of C series, but I am involved in the refueling outage at Catawba Nuclear Station as a radiation protection technician and we are currently working 12-hour days this week without a day off...in fact, I am on a lunch break right now. You do know that the smart money is on C of C to sweep the series...bigtime? Of course you do...you are not an idiot. Giving up so many runs to a BAD WCU team is an atrocity, pure and simple. A 5-game winning streak had us believing that maybe, just maybe the team is making progress only to find that we are just as bad as ever and then some. There is nothing to get excited about concerning Wofford baseball...I could field a ground ball hit out to me and our players can't even do that consistently! You KNOW we're a bad team, Dialing8- c'mon!! The truth hurts some people, I know, but it is what it is!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I agree that scholarships are lacking in the baseball program but how can we expect the foundations or individuals to donate to a program under the present leadership? Who would? Until a major change is made to create a new atmosphere, excitement, hope, respect, etc. we cannot expect anyone to donate to this program. I challenge anyone that thinks that we are going in the right direction to put their money up and donate scholarships or donations if you think that the lack of scholarships is the only problem we have.
american gentleman

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't doubt the team's or the coaches desire to win, but at some point you have to call a trend a trend and make a change. Even the likes of Joe Torre, Bobby Cox and Tony LaRussa have been fired a few times. I'm not saying Interdonato is a bad person or coach, just that it's apparent the program needs to try a fresh direction and see if better results can be achieved.

Perhaps Wofford sticks with Interdonato and he wins 10 SoCon titles, or maybe he never wins more than 10 games in a season. Or, maybe he goes and wins a CWS somewhere else. There's no way to know. That's why athletic administratiors like RJ make a living doing what they do.

My point of contention is not with anyone except the direction and trend are bad and need to be reversed. It is unlikely that will occur with the same way of doing things, so I am in favor of taking a chance and moving on. For better, or worse. Wofford owes it to the players to try for a better situation.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 pm

btw congratulations to Clark Wise on his success this season who is now leading the team in batting average and is also a great defensive player. This has nothing to do with scholarships.
american gentleman

Postby bigdogbarking on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Gentleman, you are right about Clark. These guys are busting their tails but, the same decisions get made, and the results don't change. Players learn from their mistakes, coaches should too. Too many times the same thing is repeated and it still doesn't work. This is the make or break weekend. Sweep and we still have a shot, go 2-1 and we have a slim chance, anything else and as Dandy Don Meredith used to sing, "Turn out the lights, the party's over...."
bigdogbarking

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Good grief, Charlie Brown! We all know we are underfunded and only have a minimal number of scholarships. We can't recruit the better talent because we can't give the players as much money on the baseball side of things that they need to come to Wofford. That being said, the coaches still have to coach the players we do have. They recruited these players with the thoughts they would win games and make improvements. BUT, they are not. You gotta play with the hand you are dealt. And our coaches are not doing well with that at all. Coaches need to move on or get moved on.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Denise on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 pm

1) Wofford needs to hire a solid coach. 2)The admin needs to support the hire.
Denise

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun May 08, 2011 2:20 pm

If a player is getting scholarship money from the school and is failing to perform acceptably on the diamond, Wofford SHOULD be able to pull his scholly money and use it elsewhere, just like they can do in Columbia! Actually, that should be true for EVERY sport! I'm surprised to see that the school can't do that! We should be able to say bye to the.170 hitter with 50 Ks in 100 ABs and the pitcher who is 0-4 with a 9.32 ERA and 35 walks and 65 hits allowed in 55 IP.

And what is with this crap- every time you go back and insert a letter or character on this board it erases one- That is annoying!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball