Negative, positive, whatever...just win

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Negative, positive, whatever...just win

Postby ILoveWofford on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Its about time to throw all the excuses out the window. Seriously, people on this site talk about everything else besides whats the most important thing in college sports. Just win some games...terriers are in the midst of their typical mid season losing streak. The players may be great kids and great students and bonding together nicely, but looks to me like just another bad team, like the last few years. Probably looking up at from the bottom and no socon tourney again.
ILoveWofford

Re: Negative, positive, whatever...just win

Postby BGTerrier on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree 100%. The success of this season will be based on how many wins the team has at the end of the year. Losing is losing how ever you look at it, whether it's by 1 run or 10. Sooner or later, this program is gonna have to figure out how to win the close games.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Sooner or later, athletic administration is going to have to acknowledge that their is a problem in this program.

Being top of the conference every year isn't realistic, but middle of the road finishes should be attainable more often than not. Regardless of coaching, this program hasn't been near any level of success in 20 years with the exception of one magic week a few years ago. Wofford can do better than one week of top performance every two decades. Talent levels can always be up for debate in any program, but that much sustained losing can only be layed at the feet of administration and coaching.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby brknprk on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Looking into the Wofford wins crystal ball. With 21 games left, how many more W's do you see? Davidson, playing better than usual this year, is always good for one or two victories. After that, it is a long haul until UNC Greensboro. All the teams inbetween can be big bumps in the road. My projection is six more wins (four in conference and two non-conference). Any others like to predict? Bottom line, we can all look back at this thread in a month and see who comes the closest to matching the final results. BTW, six conference wins = no SOCON tournament.
brknprk

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 am

I think we'd be lucky to get 6 wins the rest of the year. This team struggled on the road (1-11 record), and I can't see more than 2 wins away from home. I see Davidson and Greensboro(maybe) as the only conference win opportunities left on the schedule, and I think 4 wins is probably being generous. With the remaining schedule, I just can't see more than 3 or 4 conference wins and no tournament.

Hopefully I'm wrong, for the players sake, but it's hard to be optimistic with the recent track record of the program.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby rhfterrier on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm

without even looking at the schedule, I would add Western to that list of possible series wins. They are surprisingly bad this year. Who knows, maybe they can get the bats hot and reel off a few series wins.
rhfterrier

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:50 pm

If we can begin to get a few hits at the right time I think we can pull out a few more W's than some may think. Especially with the way out pitching has held up. Hopefully we can mature as the season goes on. Congrats to the freshman J. Morris the other night in relief. He did a great job. Hopefully other will start doing the same.
DiamondTerrier

Return to Baseball