April 5, 8, 9, 10...at Duke, three at Elon

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: April 5, 8, 9, 10...at Duke, three at Elon

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Ruckus wrote: We had a real opportunity to upgrade our baseball program on a bunch of different fronts in '07 and we whiffed it IMO. That goes for the hiring decision and the fund raising effort. I support the team and Coach I who I think is trying really hard; but it still boggles my mind that the admin turns a SoCon champ program (fluke or not) over to a young inexperienced coach who has never been a head coach, and if that isn't enough, spurning a HOF alum with an impressive resume and knowledge of the game (and spurning other more qualified candidates too). I will never understand that decision and it has nothing to do with TW or anyone else but the simple facts. It bothers me that when I do get a chance to see the team play, they play like they are on Baatan death march;

These bother me too. Baseball is unique in several respects, one being that when you watch a team play, the game is slow enough and you are close enough to sense the team's morale, enthusiasm, and comfort level. I have only seen one game in the last three years, but I got the impression the team was going through the motions and did not like or appreciate one another very much, even though we won the game I saw.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Are you kidding me? You have seen ONE game in THREE years and you are passing judgement on the desire and chemistry of this team? What a joke! I have seen every single game this season and can tell you for a fact you are dead wrong. Yes, losing takes it's toll as the season drags on and last season the team was demoralized after the deflating Furman series. But who wouldn't be? The weekend before they had surprised all by winning two of three from Samford. Besides, that was last year. This year's team is not on a death march - despite the tough weekends they have suffered - they are working hard and have not played a game this season they were not in until the very end.

One game in three years?!?! This is exactly the problem with this message board and the uninformed opinions.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

If this message board is full of so many uninformed opinions why do you bother frequenting it then? Just ignore it and go on your way.
Nobody has ever, in any post I have ever seen, questioned how hard the team (or coaches for that matter) works. The only issue has been the funding and leadership of the program which are valid questions whether you agree or not. There obviously is a problem. A problem we would all like to change. Some differ in opinions how but that doesn't obviate the apparent issues.
And BTW- the team didn't play with any fire DURING the Furman series last year as I was there for every game. Glad to hear their spirits are raised this year. I hope that renewed motivation results in more wins; so far it has not. I am certain however it is not for a lack of trying on their part or the coaches' parts either.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

I hope you are right and that I am "dead wrong". Ruckus, a former Wofford player who has seen more of the games, observes a death march feel, which is consistent with my more limited first-hand observations. Ruckus does not make such observations lightly, if you have paid any attention to his many thoughtful posts on this board. If I am incorrect, then we will see notable improvement the latter part of this season and the ship will have been righted; I will be as delighted as anyone if that happens. Otherwise, allowing our team to be one where losing is accepted cannot be allowed; it has to be addressed. Leadership is first and foremost; everything else will follow.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:06 pm

4 scholarships vs. 11.7 is the problem. Baseball competes at the Division 1 level with one hand tied behind it's back. Why Wofford gets such a thrill out of giving football full-funding to compete at the Div IAA level, yet won't fund baseball baffles me. Take 7 of those third string football scholarships and give them to baseball and you will see a major difference no matter who coaches the team. After all, our starting right fielder is a fully funded punter on the football team who stood on the football sideline for three years! Why does the football team need 3 or 4 punters? That money would pay for 8-10 top talent players that baseball can't recruit. All of the energy by Wofford alums who care about baseball should be aimed at waking up the Athletic Director to these simple facts.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby ElonPride on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Natural,

Can you be more specific with the heckler? Was it honestly that bad?

I'm all for heckling, but there is a line.
ElonPride

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Natural, I am with you on the stockpiling of football talent and prioritizing our dollars. As much as I love watching our football program win, just a couple more baseball schollies would make a big difference and there always seems to be kids on the football team who never seem to warrant the money spent on them. But this is the strategy our admin and BoTs have pursued for better or worse. But it sure is tough to watch the baseball team suffer when you know a little could go a long way.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Ruckus - we are in complete agreement. I just happen to believe that BOTH football and baseball can be winners - if only football would sacrifice a few excess scholarships that would put baseball in contention and not make a bit of difference to football.

ElonPride - so obviously you did not attend the games either meaning you are also commenting on games you did not see! Your heckler was a lone obnoxious voice calling out our players by name, trying to make fun of them but ultimately making a complete fool of himself. It was the sort of poor sportsmanship that never happens at Russell C. King Field.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Ruckus wrote:Natural, I am with you on the stockpiling of football talent and prioritizing our dollars. As much as I love watching our football program win, just a couple more baseball schollies would make a big difference and there always seems to be kids on the football team who never seem to warrant the money spent on them. But this is the strategy our admin and BoTs have pursued for better or worse. But it sure is tough to watch the baseball team suffer when you know a little could go a long way.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but will offer up these observations:

1-Football drove the move to D-1. If it was not deemed important to have a D-1 program minus football, then we would not be having a discussion about the other sports.
2-The concentration was on getting football to be competitive 1st
3-Second was the emphasis to get Basketball competitive, which they now are with the addition of scholarships
4-In order to get an FBS money game each year, we have to have a minimum of 57 football scholarships fully funded. Apparently we are able to take some of our football players that really excel in the classroom and move them to various academic scholarships, but must maintan the level of 57. We need the money game to keep funds available for the entire athletic program. It does not go to just football, and it goes to fund the operating costs of the entire athletic program, salaries etc of all the coaching positions, irregardless of sports.
5-Baseball is next in line for additional scholarships, but it is difficult to fund.
6-Scholarships are funded as follows: 1/3 from annual Terrier Club donations, 1/3 from endowed scholarships, and 1/3 from the Wofford general fund. It does not take a math or economic major to do the math with the cost of a four year ride at Wofford College to understand the budget requirements, or the importance of annual contributors.

That is not gospel, but just my understanding.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm

fgs44 wrote:
Ruckus wrote:Natural, I am with you on the stockpiling of football talent and prioritizing our dollars. As much as I love watching our football program win, just a couple more baseball schollies would make a big difference and there always seems to be kids on the football team who never seem to warrant the money spent on them. But this is the strategy our admin and BoTs have pursued for better or worse. But it sure is tough to watch the baseball team suffer when you know a little could go a long way.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but will offer up these observations:

1-Football drove the move to D-1. If it was not deemed important to have a D-1 program minus football, then we would not be having a discussion about the other sports.
2-The concentration was on getting football to be competitive 1st
3-Second was the emphasis to get Basketball competitive, which they now are with the addition of scholarships
4-In order to get an FBS money game each year, we have to have a minimum of 57 football scholarships fully funded. Apparently we are able to take some of our football players that really excel in the classroom and move them to various academic scholarships, but must maintan the level of 57. We need the money game to keep funds available for the entire athletic program. It does not go to just football, and it goes to fund the operating costs of the entire athletic program, salaries etc of all the coaching positions, irregardless of sports.
5-Baseball is next in line for additional scholarships, but it is difficult to fund.
6-Scholarships are funded as follows: 1/3 from annual Terrier Club donations, 1/3 from endowed scholarships, and 1/3 from the Wofford general fund. It does not take a math or economic major to do the math with the cost of a four year ride at Wofford College to understand the budget requirements, or the importance of annual contributors.

That is not gospel, but just my understanding.

good post =D>
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 pm

According to the SOCON website, Wofford doesn't have a single batter in the top 15 in the league. I am only counting stats for SOCON games, since those are really the only one that are comparable and matter. Below is the link to the stats.

On average, the SOCON teams hit .300 for the conference games last year and are hitting .273 this season paced by GSU with an unbelievable team average of .347

Wofford's team ERA last year in SOCON games was 7.86 and this conference season to date it is 4.36.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/soc ... lgconf.htm
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Natural wrote:Ruckus - we are in complete agreement. I just happen to believe that BOTH football and baseball can be winners - if only football would sacrifice a few excess scholarships that would put baseball in contention and not make a bit of difference to football.

ElonPride - so obviously you did not attend the games either meaning you are also commenting on games you did not see! Your heckler was a lone obnoxious voice calling out our players by name, trying to make fun of them but ultimately making a complete fool of himself. It was the sort of poor sportsmanship that never happens at Russell C. King Field.

I saw the same thing at the basketball game we played at Elon this winter- a loud relentless heckler using names. It was probably the same guy. Elon should ban this loser from all sporting events! I know Wofford would take that action in dealing with someone like that!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Natural wrote:4 scholarships vs. 11.7 is the problem. Baseball competes at the Division 1 level with one hand tied behind it's back. Why Wofford gets such a thrill out of giving football full-funding to compete at the Div IAA level, yet won't fund baseball baffles me. Take 7 of those third string football scholarships and give them to baseball and you will see a major difference no matter who coaches the team. After all, our starting right fielder is a fully funded punter on the football team who stood on the football sideline for three years! Why does the football team need 3 or 4 punters? That money would pay for 8-10 top talent players that baseball can't recruit. All of the energy by Wofford alums who care about baseball should be aimed at waking up the Athletic Director to these simple facts.

You are right about football being able to give up a few of its 63 scholarships to baseball and still win. We do have guys on football scholarships riding the bench. This is one of the best points you've made here. It would indeed help the baseball team out some (though I still think we also need better coaching as well). The problem is that RJ doesn't seem to be much of a baseball guy, and trying to "wake him up" about baseball might just be wasted energy...the man is going to do as he pleases.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball