April 5, 8, 9, 10...at Duke, three at Elon

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Need to stem the tide. Beat DOOK.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: April 5, 8, 9, 10...at Duke, three at Elon

Postby rhfterrier on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Well, I do HATE me some dook...

Need a good week, I hope we can get back on track, lots of ball left to be played!
rhfterrier

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:38 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Swept again by Elon.
Swept 3 out of 4 series now in SoCon.
Though Elon is a good program and all 3 were decided by 1 run, this is a disturbing trend.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ElonPride on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Ruckus, All three games were NOT decided by one run. Two of the 3 games were decided by one run.......game 3 was a 4 run game.

Even though Elon currently sits at 12-3, the conference is still wide open.

Good luck to the Terriers the rest of the way.
ElonPride

Postby Ruckus on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Gee thanks. That makes all the difference in the world.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm

A disturbing trend is 24-74 in the SOCON in the last 3+ years.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Natural on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am

Game One: 3-2 Terriers bottom 10th, 2 outs, 2 strikes, Elon 3-hole hitter hits a bomb and ties the game. After 1/1/2 hour rain delay, two more innings played, Elon wins in walkoff fashion bottom of the 12th, 4-3.

Game Two: 0-0 game on Saturday in bottom fifth. Replacement starter Yarusi (Sheridan comes down with sore shoulder), has a no-hitter going when rain pours down forcing suspension to Sunday. Sunday starter Dolinak takes over in bottom 5 on Sunday and takes a 0-0 game into the 9th losing on a walkoff homerun 1-0.

Game Three: Midweek reliever Alex Wilson starts and takes a 4-4 game into the fifth when Elon scores three, gets one more in sixth and game ends 8-4.

Those are the eye-witness accounts of a very close and competitive series with the top team in the conference. Yes, these close loses are disheartening and difficult to take. But what the uninformed eyes on this message board do not see is the tremendous heart, work ethic, and effort of a Wofford team that is fighting an uphill battle with bigger, well-funded schools in the SOCON. You would hope to win some of these. But the reality is you should be proud of a team of athletes who represent their school so well, play so hard, and never quit even when facing a fully funded program like Elon with a Wofford team funded with a measely four scholarships.

And ElonPride....your school and baseball community should be ashamed to allow the type of senseless heckling emanating from your stands this weekend. That LOSER should be banned from your ballpark.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am

Wofford's team ERA is better this year, but you can't expect to win too many SOCON games when the team is only batting .227 this season. That's a far cry from the .302 from last season. What's the reason(s) for the major drop off?
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am

The new bats certainly have had an effect, as they have all over college baseball. But that's still a pretty big drop off.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SC_Terrier on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Thank you Natural for your post. I have not offered my opinion on this board this year because I do not think the vast majority of posters care to have an honest conversation about the baseball program. I feel that most still have an axe to grind because Wallace did not get the job and short of winning the SOCON, Interdonato does not have a chance with these posters.

If you look at the baseball program since it moved to division 1, the records have not changed. The record of 24-74 is no different now than it was for Traylor during his time at Wofford. During my career we were continuously at the bottom of the conference and we were lucky to avoid a sweep each weekend. I personally think there has been a tremendous amount of improvement in our program from 2007 when Interdonato joined the team…but that is my opinion. While our conference record has continued to be sub-par, our competitiveness has improved substantially. With the exception of 2007 against Elon, we were not competitive in any of the previous years. Teams like Charleston, Elon, Western, and the Citadel traditionally blew us out. It appears that our program is at least competitive now or maybe even relevant. The next step in our program’s progression would be to find a way to win the close games. I personally have no ties with Interdonato, I only care about Wofford athletics. I doubt anyone who has seen the product on the field this year and who watched games during the Traylor years will deny that the product on the field today is better than it was in the past. I think we have made tremendous strides in our ability to put together a pitching staff.

Here is what I do not understand. I read posts on the basketball forum from 2006 and 2007 and it seems that the same posters on the baseball board felt that our basketball program was suffering from under-funding or lack of scholarships. In March 2007, Woffordgrad94, a perennial negative poster about our baseball program, stated “the reason the (basketball) program will never be at the top is #1 because of lack of scholarships.” Rowdy wrote, “Mike Young is going a great job with the resources he has.” The Wofford basketball team went 11-18 and 10-20 from 2005-2007. Why did the basketball program and Mike Young get a pass from posters but Interdonato, who has less funding, not get that same pass? It is evidence to me that people have an axe to grind. We are way under-funded and you cannot win in the SOCON with four scholarships. Until we increase our funding, we all need to adjust our expectations for our program to reflect that reality. Pitching separates the talent pool in college baseball and without funding, you cannot secure the top pitchers in this state or any other state.

I am not 100% sure about this but didn’t the basketball program become fully funded after the 2008 season? And during 2006 and 2007 didn’t the basketball team have 10 of 12 scholarships (83%)? The baseball team is only funded 13%.

I am honestly asking the question to Woffordgrad94 and Rowdy, why did Mike Young get a pass in 2007 for lack of funding?
SC_Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 pm

I agree our pitching seems to have improved but it can be argued that a large part of the success this year is related to the change in the bat stds. I do not agree that our teams for the last 3 years are better or more competitive. Our defense appears worse and our base running is atrocious. Our offense has dropped substantially but again that can be argued is related to the bat std. changes. We also are getting swept by teams with which we used to be more competitive (i.e. Furman and Davidson). I do agree that funding and support is a major obstacle. We had a real opportunity to upgrade our baseball program on a bunch of different fronts in '07 and we whiffed it IMO. That goes for the hiring decision and the fund raising effort. I support the team and Coach I who I think is trying really hard; but it still boggles my mind that the admin turns a SoCon champ program (fluke or not) over to a young inexperienced coach who has never been a head coach, and if that isn't enough, spurning a HOF alum with an impressive resume and knowledge of the game (and spurning other more qualified candidates too). I will never understand that decision and it has nothing to do with TW or anyone else but the simple facts. It bothers me that when I do get a chance to see the team play, they play like they are on Baatan death march; and then I hear all these rumors about tongue lashings, immature behavior, and poor leadership by the coaches. Some may have axes to grind. I do not. I just want a more competitive program. I agree Young got a pass in '06 and '07; but I was not one of the posters who gave it though.
As a former player, it literally makes me want to vomit when I see the state of our program; then I hear the comments by friends and acquaintances in the game who laugh at us and put us down. Say what you will, whether it's lack of funding, leadership, talent, commitment, support, or all of the above, something is broken and needs to be fixed. And I fault everyone (including us former players and supporters) for the current state.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

We have five of the top 28 batting averages in the league, and there is a big dropoff after that.http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/soc ... gplyrs.htm
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby ChinMusik on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I don't think there's been any improvement in the baseball program since the current coach was hired. We still finish near the bottom statistically and in the standings almost every year. If we're trying to look at the positives, I guess we can get excited about losing by 3 or 4 runs instead of 15. We may be a little more competitive, but we still lose games and there's no getting around that. I honestly don't think the baseball program has moved forward under Coach Interdonato. I have questions about his character and ability to lead the current players and the program. I agree with Ruckus in that there are multiple things wrong with the current program, and things need to be fixed. Regardless of the record at the end of the season, the administration needs to think long and hard about the direction of the program and make some changes.
ChinMusik

Postby SC_Terrier on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you Ruckus for your response; I agree with you on many levels. I would love to see what Interdonato could do with five more scholarships. I think if we had five more scholarships we could go after one or two top pitching prospects each year which will ultimately help us be competitive each year.

Our program’s culture under Traylor was one where people accepted losing. The most difficult thing for me to adjust to as a Freshman was 1.) Losing and 2.) Watching people around the program accept losing. I played under Coach I and the first thing he changed was the mind-set in the locker room. I think he began recruiting a different brand of player and I think he is trying to change the perception of the program in the locker room…and the mind set is different today that it was 6-7 years ago. So I do think the program has improved.

Do not worry about what other players and coaches say about our program. In 2005 the Georgia Southern coach could not understand how his guys were swept by the biggest soft-ees (I’m using another word) in the world. In 2007 the Citadel assistant coach made a similar comment about our team in the semi-final game…of which we won. I think a lot of it is envy and stereo-typing…they do not want to lose to a bunch of smart kids. I heard similar comments from Citadel players about Furman and Davidson players…all of which are fine institutions (even the Furples). Take it as a complement about our wonderful college.
SC_Terrier

Next

Return to Baseball