Sweep of USC-Upstate

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Sweep of USC-Upstate

Postby johnd7 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am

it takes money to get the best pitchers and yes pc is almost fully funded in baseball as is all of the good socon teams.Its unbelievabe to think it deos not make a difference, it does.
johnd7

Postby splitter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Sorry Johnd7, but you are very wrong about PC's baseball program. The budget is around $60,000 for the sport which is the 2nd lowest in the state for D1 schools. There is a website that lists all D1 schools revenue and expenses for baseball, and I'll be glad to post it when I can find it in another message board posting. Also, like Wofford, PC does not fully fund the 11.9 schollies, only about 7.5 are funded from what I can ascertain. Both our schools are fighting the same battle when it comes to investing in the program - high tuition, high academic standards and a lack of tradition in the sport.

Why is PC experiencing success this year? Most likely a change in attitude, a new pitching coach and some talented newcomers who have made major contributions on the field.

Remember, we only moved up to D1 4 years ago and we're still not eligible for post season playoffs due to the NCAA dragging out our transition to a 5th year. That's a big issue for us to still overcome and is a real downer for the current juniors who were looking forward to playing for a post season opportunity next year.
splitter

Postby BossMan on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Bluehose / Splitter:

Thanks for your response. One thing I did notice looking over the PC Roster and stats is that the top 8 hitters and 5 out of the 6 top pitchers come from a 200 mile radius of PC.

3 of your local in state freshman are making "lights out" contributions: Zebedis, .424 leading hitter, Knox ( closer & shut us down twice ), and Bud Jeter ( weekend starter ). Somebody is doing an awesome job in recruiting the in state talent.

I haven't seen 1 in state guy committed to Wofford yet for next year.........maybe we're spending too much time in Texas and East Cobb.
BossMan

Postby splitter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Here is the link that shows the athleitc budgets for PC and Wofford. Site has good info for 2009-2010 school year.
Total Baseball budget: $66,000 PC
Total Baseball Budget: $112,000 Wofford

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstList.aspx

Hope this clears up some of the misperceptions out there. You may have to copy the link to your browser bar, doesn't seem to want to offer a direct link.
splitter

Postby splitter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:09 pm

"3 of your local in state freshman are making "lights out" contributions: Zebedis, .424 leading hitter, Knox ( closer & shut us down twice ), and Bud Jeter ( weekend starter ). Somebody is doing an awesome job in recruiting the in state talent."

Jeter is a walkon. Knox and Zebedis were good finds for PC. There's a lot of baseball talent in SC. Clemson's starting to discover that, too.
splitter

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:45 pm

A shutout at the hands of PC does not look good at all, and as far as I'm concerned losing to the Blue Hose in any sport is disappointing- they (and USC-Upstate) are still d-2 in my mind. I know these schools are now d-1 programs in my head, but in my heart it is still hard to accept them as such and I simply just expect a win when I see their names on schedules. It's nothing personal against these two schools, that is just my mindset as a fan of a team that is now pretty established in a respected conference like the SoCon. But PC was not a conference opponent, so I guess it's not as bad as it seems. Hopefully, we can go up to Boone this weekend and win at least 2...good luck to the team.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 pm

[quote="BGTerrier"]I'm really tired of hearing about the lack of funding for the baseball program. Sure it would be nice to have 4 more scholarships and $100k more in the budget, but that won't happen until the program gets better. Why would you put money to a program with no recent track record of being successful? It's like investing in a stock that has been under performing for 10 straight years. Intelligent people don't put money into poor investments. Nothing will change until the baseball program starts producing winning seasons and gets out of the bottom of the SoCon. quote]

BGTerrier,
Do you really believe what you typed. That might be the worst post you have written so far. If you have a beef with the program because you did not get your at bats take it somewhere else. If what was posted above is true PC has 7.5 scholarships and we have a little over 4. Can you not see that that alone is 12 more players at 25% each. But really what that gives you is 6 top tier pitchers at 50% each.
The lack of funding has been because football and basketball have to be full BEFORE baseball will get another dime. Sorry to disagree with the PC poster, but it is not about budgets, it is on scholarships. Maybe PC spends less on their coaches, travel, hotels, etc.
What I want to find is the website that lists the number of scholarships for every team in every conference in the country. It has to be somewher, just hidden well. Maybe you can help find it for all of us.
Furman parents are all excited because they get two more fulls next year and their final two the following year to get them to 11.7(Fully Funded).
As for Tim Wallace, he is a great guy, but he would not be able to save this program because he would be fighting the same numbers as Coach I does.

As for PC and USC-Upstate, they are both good programs. Anyone that thinks Wofford just walks up and beats these two programs does not know the baseball landscape. What would really help all three programs is for kids to quit walking on at South Carolina only to be run off every February.

And just another point, our pitching staff is THIN!!! JD Osborne has a torn labrum and is done for the year. As of today Gus White has a shoulder injury and is done for the year. Brandon Yarusi is trying to build up strength after breaking his pitching hand and just being cleared to pitch. Ryan Traylor is getting back to himself after a weightroom injury. Tom Dolinak has been bothered by a pulled stomach muscle since the Harvard weekend. Add six more pitchers that have half a dozen innings or less, which I guess means the coaches don't think they are ready to pitch yet.
Now go look at the roster or stats page and see what that leaves you to get through a 5 game week!! Now this is factual , not some hate the program chatter that a few former players like to keep stirred up.

Good luck to PC and Upstate on the remainder of their seasons. There are pleanty of good kids on both teams.
dialing8

Postby BossMan on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Dialing:

As usual, some great points. But I do have a couple of questions.

I regularly hear about players who are playing well in the SoCon or other D1 programs who "wanted to come to Wofford"

Why is it that I never hear "they wanted me, but didn't have the cash to make it happen", but rather I hear " they wouldn't give me the time of day"
Last edited by BossMan on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BossMan

Postby dialing8 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

[quote="BossMan"]Dialing:

As usual, some great points. But I do have a couple of questions.

I regularly hear about players who are playing well in the SoCon or other D1 programs who "wanted to come to Wofford"

Why is it that I never hear "they wanted me, but didn't have the cash to make it happen", but rather I hear " they wouldn't give me the time of day"

I understand that not having the money was the reason Ross Heffley from western Carolina did not show up. I also understand Coach I did not have the money to offer Will Muzika who plays at Furman. No money for these two middle infielders with all the need for pitching and the new rules that required each player be offered 25% or nothing. Both wanted wofford, but Wofford could not deliver the money. these two are to good to be asked to walk on.
Could you imagine our lineup with those two bats in the starting batting order?
I am not a fan of all the decisions and I doubt any of us will ever be. I think that is part of being a baseball fan, but as I have looked at the team, the play by plays of the game and the numbers, I really don't see what moves can be made that would make a difference other that some questionable pitching substitutions in the third Citadel game and the first Furman game.
As for the freshman, they are a pretty talented group. they will make major contributions neat year as second, third and right field will all be up for grabs as will two weekend pitching spots.
dialing8

Postby BGTerrier on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

I have no problem with the baseball program, and I enjoyed my time playing at Wofford. I truly do think we have the players to compete with the local teams, as well as the SoCon teams. I know most of the players we have, and they all can compete and play at this level. I don't think winning seasons are unrealistic with the current players.

At this point the baseball program is riding the way-back seat, because the program has a history of being below average. If Wofford was winning the SoCon every year, we'd have all the funding needed and this wouldn't even be a discussion. My point above was to produce with what we have, and generate more funding for the program. It's clear there just isn't enough money to go around after football and bball get their cut, so we have to make the situation better with what we have. We can continue to b#tch and moan about underfunding, or we can make the situation better and create more funding through success. Give people a reason to be interested and things will get better.

Hope the rest of the season goes well and current seniors leave with a trip to the SoCon tourney.
BGTerrier

Postby rhfterrier on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 am

This seems like a case of the "chicken or the egg" argument, but it seems obvious to me that the funding must come first. Sure an underfunded team may have a good year here and there but for any consistency there has to be comparable funding to the rest of the league.

BG, you make a good analogy about no one wants to invest in a poor investment that hasn't performed. However, all good investments started with the initial capital that allow them to be successful and profitable. While we do have some great players we have a lack of depth as dialing points out.

Also, dialing the way I read your post it seemed like Furman will be fully funded in the next few years, is that correct? If so wow and that should be a serious wakeup call to the admin that the baseball team needs money.
rhfterrier

Postby american gentleman on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 am

Wow. That is great news for Furman regarding the scholarships. I would curious to know how they are able to attract the funding and we are not. The only way it will ever happen is if there is global funding drive for all sports because I don't see any prospects for just baseball, at the present time. BTW, Good luck to the Terrier players this weekend at Appalachian.
american gentleman

Postby dialing8 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:20 am

rhfterrier wrote:Also, dialing the way I read your post it seemed like Furman will be fully funded in the next few years, is that correct? If so wow and that should be a serious wakeup call to the admin that the baseball team needs money.

Yes, Furman will be full in two years. I got it from someone close to the coach. I think the Danial Foundation has given FU so much money that they have money to put into their athletic programs. To bad Mr. Roger did not do the same for Wofford. Then again Wofford hides the fact that sports are underfunded instead of getting the word out so someone might open their wallet.
It still surprises me to hear alum say, but we won the socon a few years ago. Yes, and a tsunami hit Japan in 2011. They don't understand the team that won it all would not even qualify for the tournament under current rules.
dialing8

Postby Ruckus on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 am

There is more to providing a program resources other than cash. Winning a SoCon title and an NCAA appearance in 07 was IMO a perfect stepping stone in growing and investing in the program (as was the construction of the new stadium). However, the admin completely whiffed it; not just the hiring decision but seeking support and funding. In fact, I think the bad feelings created in the hiring decision (right or wrong; agree or not) set the program back several years at least. We are not yet out of it.
I support the team as a former player and I support TI. I wish them the best but we are bringing a knife to a gunfight on a bunch of different fronts.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:07 pm

It's pretty clear the administration doesn't have any extra money to put into the baseball program, otherwise it would have happen a few years ago. Baring a huge outside donation like Furman received, we're stuck with what we have and have to make the best of it. It sounds like Furman used to be in the same boat as us, until an unexpected surplus of funds increased baseball funding. It would be nice to have more scholarships to increase depth, but there isn't athletic department money to achieve this. We will need outside help to get any improvement. Too bad Gibbs and Richardson don't like baseball.
BGTerrier

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball