Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Sweep of USC-Upstate

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Good win to sweep series vs. cross-town nemesis:

http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... 13622.aspx
WoCo NH Dude

Re: Sweep of USC-Upstate

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:23 am

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy about any win we can get. But I'm not exactly jumping up and down about this game. I know it's a non-conference game and we did not use our best pitching, but giving up double-digit runs to a team like USC-U is not good. USC-U is not a great team...and I personally feel that it should be a given that we beat them.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier FanAttic on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 am

What a fiasco the game was last night. For those who were there, looked more like a preseason scrimmage.
7 Hit by pitch, 20 BB, at least 5 runs walked in with the bases loaded, 2 balks, multiple wild pitches and passed balls with runs scored.
Upstate scored 11 runs with at least 16 left on base.
Looked like one of my son's Rec. League games. The only thing we were missing was the grounder to the pitcher with a 4 base error.
Surprised to see Cornley & Streisel used here and not on Game #2 Sunday.

.....didn't we used to play teams like Arizona State, New Mexico State, North Carolina State, GA Tech., etc. during Spring Break?
Terrier FanAttic

Postby rhfterrier on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:39 am

Wow, that sounds like a circus of a game. Well, glad we got the win, bc Upstate is not a bad team at all. It looked like coach shook up the line-up a little. I wonder if he was giving a few guys some much needed rest or if he is making changes?
rhfterrier

Postby american gentleman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 pm

swept by PC. 1 hit. looking forward to weekend with app.
american gentleman

Postby american gentleman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 pm

my bad...won 1 of 3
american gentleman

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 pm

AG,

Bit puzzled...Terriers lost to PC 4-0; but, you indicate we won 1 of 3??? Not a good outing.

http://www.woffordterriers.com/news/201 ... 10756.aspx

Beat ASU!
WoCo NH Dude

Postby Natural on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 am

Beat PC 5-1, lost 6-4 and 4-0. Thus, won 1 of 3.

PC threw one of their top pitchers and we threw "johnny whole-staff". Focus is on ASU this weekend as it should be.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby gobluehose on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 am

Natural wrote:Beat PC 5-1, lost 6-4 and 4-0. Thus, won 1 of 3.

PC threw one of their top pitchers and we threw "johnny whole-staff". Focus is on ASU this weekend as it should be.

Richardson is our typical Wednesday starter, you didn't see any of the weekend staff except the closer. As much as we like beating you guys, we still save our best for weekend Big South games
gobluehose

Postby BossMan on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:31 am

Natural

I'm a big fan and supporter also.....but sorry, I don't think that was a good excuse. They manhandled us. That's it. The only hit we could muster was out of one of our freshmen in his 3rd start.

Even if this guy is a weekend starter, does that mean we can't compete with a guy who is 3-2 on a team that is 3-3 in the Big South?

And. as far as I can see "johnny whole-staff" included 6 names I usually see in the weekend boxes, along with our #1

Kind of curious about how we had 5 guys "picked off"

Good to see some of our frosh get a chance for some play time. It's important for the future of a team that is heavily weighted in the Junior & Senior classes. But most of our "regulars" were still in the line-up also.

PC is a much improved team. And they look balanced across all 4 classes. Not sure what made the difference, maybe "gobluehose" can shed some light on it for us.
BossMan

Postby johnd7 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:05 am

we are wasting our time guys, until they put more money into the program we are wasting our time. pc has more money in their baseball program than we do,but at least we have more money in our soccor program
johnd7

Postby rhfterrier on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 am

Unbelievable math skills being displayed in this thread.

JohnD.. does PC really have more funds for baseball than we do? I'm not questioning your knowledge, just curious, and if that is so, wow!! I would have never guessed that. Do you have anymore information on that?

Tough game, hopefully get re-energized for the weekend.

No excuses, just win!!
rhfterrier

Postby gobluehose on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 am

BossMan wrote:Natural

I'm a big fan and supporter also.....but sorry, I don't think that was a good excuse. They manhandled us. That's it. The only hit we could muster was out of one of our freshmen in his 3rd start.

Even if this guy is a weekend starter, does that mean we can't compete with a guy who is 3-2 on a team that is 3-3 in the Big South?

And. as far as I can see "johnny whole-staff" included 6 names I usually see in the weekend boxes, along with our #1

Kind of curious about how we had 5 guys "picked off"

Good to see some of our frosh get a chance for some play time. It's important for the future of a team that is heavily weighted in the Junior & Senior classes. But most of our "regulars" were still in the line-up also.

PC is a much improved team. And they look balanced across all 4 classes. Not sure what made the difference, maybe "gobluehose" can shed some light on it for us.

Honestly, I don't know of one thing that has made the difference this year - we are just generally improved in every aspect. ERA lower, fielding pct. higher, batting avg. higher.....Coaches and players alike have really worked hard to make some headway and they have. As for putting as much money into the program as you guys, that may be true, but its not saying much - and we certainly didn't put it into our "stadium" (but that's coming). As fans we're still a little cautious to say that we're a good team. The Big South is a decent baseball conference so we'll be able to gauge better at the end of the season.
gobluehose

Postby BGTerrier on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

I'm really tired of hearing about the lack of funding for the baseball program. Sure it would be nice to have 4 more scholarships and $100k more in the budget, but that won't happen until the program gets better. Why would you put money to a program with no recent track record of being successful? It's like investing in a stock that has been under performing for 10 straight years. Intelligent people don't put money into poor investments. Nothing will change until the baseball program starts producing winning seasons and gets out of the bottom of the SoCon. I'm not saying we have to go 46-10 and win the SoCon every year, but we should be able to win 25-30 games and win half our conference games. We have the talent and experience to compete in the SoCon, especially with the recent NCAA changes. Give people a reason to be excited about the program, and then things will get better.
BGTerrier

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 am

I agree. Back when we hired the current coach was before my time on this board. Looking at the baseball posts from that period (which show up in the 2007 period, at least one of which threads is locked), one has to wonder why Wallace was not chosen. As some suggested then, it must have been a money thing, because his record is remarkable as SMC coach of many years, as a Wofford Hall of Fame player, and seven-year professional player. He appears to be a devoted Wofford guy, and he met his wife here while they were students; she is a long-term employee, and at least two of their three children went to Wofford. There is some talk that perhaps he gave a bad interview. So did Bear Bryant.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball