A competitor's view of our program

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: A competitor's view of our program

Postby rhfterrier on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Also natural, it would also be nice to know what effect this message board has on the team... (NONE), don't overestimate your importance. Please, the team doesn't care about what some posters say on here. Nice try though! This team will play their butts off all season and hopefully win a lot of games!
rhfterrier

Postby bigdogbarking on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:58 pm

rh, you say some interesting things but keep it civil. We all want the team to succeed, but these kids don't quit and ultimately, they're playing not us. It's easy to second guess. All the coaches and players work hard, I feel that Coach I has gotten better over his four years. You learn from your failures and lord knows these seniors and coaches has experienced that. Seniors all want to play in the socon tourney again and they think they will earn it this year.
bigdogbarking

Postby rhfterrier on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Absolutely agree, He has learned a lot and I hope he continues to. I wish nothing but the best for this team bc i know how hard they work. I apologize for my words, a little harsh.
rhfterrier

Postby bigdogbarking on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

rh, keep it coming. need your point of view. I was upset today when streisel and cornly did not come out for the 8th and 9th. I would have used them. When you go to a gunfight, don't bring a knife. Most coaches pick out their best pitchers and use them in certain innings. We got a good 7 from our pitchers and then it became a 2 inning game. I would take my chances with streisel and cornly. Needed this game. Meatloaf sang two out of three ain't bad, but I would rather have a sweep.
bigdogbarking

Postby Terrier FanAttic on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 am

BigDB - Thanks for your candidness. We all want these boys to have a great and memorable season. It seems like we've lost out on our place in the SoCon Tourney by 1 or 2 games in the past couple of years, so we can't afford risky moves. Not on the weekends, anyway. That's what mid week games are for. We've clearly got a group of guys that have the talent and chemistry to get there this year.

It was 25 innings of some of the most fun and exciting Wofford baseball to watch (despite the cold)....until the management got involved. It get's painful to watch. The entire tempo of the game gets disrupted...the drill goes like this....(1)Send Roney out to the mound...send him out again....get the batter and umpire set...call time out again....slow stroll to the mound....have a discussion at the mound ( about what?)...call for the reliever.
Throw to 1 batter.....because the next batter is a lefty....go back to (1) and start over. It breaks my heart to watch these kids walk off the mound with their heads down after pitching their hearts out and I want to say "No !!!.....shame on you!...you created this situation and they end up feeling bad". The body language at the mound when they are getting "yanked" makes me cringe. It's obvious they've never experienced being the parent who nurtured these kids into the great young men & athletes that they are.
Terrier FanAttic

Postby bigdogbarking on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Pitchers at all levels walk off the mound with their heads down, its when their shoulders slump that you really see if they are beaten down and these guys look ok. Coach just has to decide who his weekend pitchers are and who his midweek pitchers are, then pick out 6 or 7 kids and plug them into scenarios and try not to deviate from the plan. That's when thinks go haywire.
bigdogbarking

Postby american gentleman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Terrier FanAttic,
More of the same.. deja vu. Charleston last year... . not only was there "yanking off the mound" but verbal explicatives were also part of the visit to the mound. These guys deserve more respect than that. I could be more specific but those who know will know.
american gentleman

Previous

Return to Baseball