A competitor's view of our program

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

A competitor's view of our program

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I recently had a chance to speak to a former Appalachian State baseball player (graduated from ASU last spring), and what he had to say about Wofford baseball was quite sobering. Apparently, we are a running joke around the conference. He said that one reason we are not very good is that our players act like they don't even want to be out there playing. Our coach is seen as an overgrown child. I metioned a lack of funding and scholorships, and he called this a cop-out, a stupid excuse for being a loser. He said that if our football and basketball programs can win, then so can our other programs...we simply aren't committed enough to them. A very sobering conversation...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: A competitor's view of our program

Postby BossMan on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 am

I have no idea the credability of this guy, so no way to judge how common this feeling is. I do have a few opinions about what may magnify thoughts like this.

1. ASU fans are pretty self absorbed when it comes to their athletic teams and have a real chip on their shoulder about Wofford. We're 10% of their student size, they can't compete with us in basketball, and we constantly are a hindrance to their view of dominance in football. Also, they realize ASU can't compete academically. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just his feelings may be more extreme because of this.

2. Not sure what time frame this guy is talking about ( this year, last 4 years, etc. ), but if this guy graduated last spring, he was in Charleston in '07 watching us sweep the SoCon Championship. We never got to face them, because they never made it out of the losers bracket. Granted, that was under a different coaching situation, so I'm not sure what the time frame is that he's referencing

3. Not sure if he pays attention to the stats, but unless you were talking to Wes Hobson, we had 3 of the top 10 offensive players in the SoCon last year. I don't think that happens by some of the players "acting like they don't want to be out there". Not sure how far below this guy was on the list.
BossMan

Postby american gentleman on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:12 am

Obviously the time frame this guy is referring to is post 2007 because Traylor was NEVER considered to be an "overgrown child". Obviously he is referring to the present head coach who took the helm after th Socon Championship.
american gentleman

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 am

As a former Wofford baseball player, I have some experience in this matter. The problem with the Wofford program is the incompetence and lack of leadership at the head coaching position. I don't doubt for a minute that Coach Interdonato is view as a joke around the league, because he does act like an immature child. I know for a fact that the players have very little respect for Coach Interdonato, which stems from the lack of respect he gives them. Wofford has the talent to compete with every other team in the conference, even with the current funding of the program. We have players who love the game and have the skills to play at this level. The problem is the lack of player development under Coach Interdonato, which has limited individual and team success. The neglect of basic fundamentals is a major problem for this program and will continue to be a problem until addressed. This coaching staff is doing the current players a HUGE disservice by not helping them grow and get better. Instead of focusing on individual strengths and weaknesses, countless time is wasted with repetitive and ineffective practice. It's more important to fill all the allotted NCAA time for practice, than spend time actually helping the players. There will be no success for Wofford baseball until Coach I is removed. He clearly doesn't get it, and Wofford will continue to suffer until the administration decides to make a change.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby BigJohn94 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I'd put some stock in what the crAppy St boy has to say.....It's been what we've been saying for the last couple years on here
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby rhfterrier on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Preach it, BG! Well I know for a fact that these kids play their hearts out everyday. Between wofford academics and baseballs full-time it is a major commitment of these young men and they take it seriously. Anyone who says otherwise is ridiculous. They are all competitors and want to win, despite what this obnoxious app st kid might say.

As for the "coach" being an overgrown child, i couldn't agree more. Absolute joke and i hope he either matures quickly or we move in a different direction.
rhfterrier

Postby Natural on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Two people who have no credibility on the subject of our team/program:

1) APP State Ex

2) Ex-players with an axe to grind with the coach

It would be nice if the people on this board would think about the effect of their comments on the team before posting. Let's reserve judgement on the season until after the season - after all, we have 27 more conference games to play.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 pm

To say that I have no credibility is bogus, when I saw first hand how the coaches run the program. Natural, it's you who has no credibility. You're the only one who tries to defend the current coaching staff, when it's clear they aren't qualified and can't cut it in the SoCon. It's hard to be optimistic when we just got swept by Furman and the conference schedule only gets tougher. If you want to reserve judgment till after the season, go right ahead. I have little faith in Coach Interdonato's coaching ability, and can't see much improvement over the rest of the year. For the players sake, I hope they turn the season around, but the lack of coaching will make the task very tough. Good luck to the players, hopefully the coaching staff won't continue to hold the program back.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby bigdogbarking on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm

For what it's worth, the offense took a weekend off aganist Furballs...sorry, Furman. Pitching was effective, defense was good, but our bats were cold. BG, no doubt that you know what's going on, but the two new coaches have been a big difference maker. Not only on the field, but in the clubhouse. As for the offense, sometimes I just scratch my head. Pitching has been very good. New bats have brought the game back down to a level that has been great to watch. No football scores. Lots more baseball to go. BTW, Wofford 5, Citadel 3.
bigdogbarking

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I know very little about any of this, except I understand Coach Blake is a fine assistant coach and individual.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:35 am

Bigdog is right - new assistants have made a huge difference. This is a different team with great chemistry. We may stumble offensively now and then, but the new coaches, new bats, coupled with elimination of negative influences is making a difference.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby rhfterrier on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Just curious, is there an "ignore" feature where I don't have to see what ignorant people like natural say? Its very sad when people think they know everything nd actaully don't know much at all.

What are these negative influences, since the line-up, pitching and team is basically the same? Has "coach" learned how the rally the troops? Absolutely ridiculous! Sounds like a cop-out to me. Also I'm glad that finally after 12 or so assistant coaches in the past 3 years he has finally found some assist coaches who make the chemistry better.. Comical!!

While I rant, please don't get me wrong I want nothing but success for the team I know these guys put so much effort and hard work they deserve to do well.
rhfterrier

Postby Hooper's Judge on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:02 pm

In a quick comparison of statistics after the first 20 games of 2011 to 2010, a few things standout. The batting average has dropped from .299 to .291 and hits have dropped from 220 to 196. Runs have decreased from 163 to 122, while home runs are down from 22 to only eight. Strikeouts have droped from 158 to 119. On the mound, the numbers are even more drastic. The team ERA has dropped from 6.98 to 3.74 and the opponent’s batting average has fallen from .325 to .282. Walks issued have gone from 109 to 73, while the number of strikeouts have gone up from 142 to 155.

Not sure exactly who puts the weekly "Game Notes" together, but they do an outstanding job. I found this particular passage to be very interesting. I think everyone predicted the new bat rules would improve pitching stats and damper hitting stats, but the two things I was glad to see are this: strikeouts are down on offense and walks are down on defense. It looks like our pitching and hitting were FINALLY in sync last night... Let's keep it up Terriers!
Hooper's Judge

Postby Natural on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I guess the truth hurts and leads to name-calling.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby rhfterrier on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Haha... Wow, that's an unbelievable analysis, natural. I'm done with ignorance.

Hooper, those are some staggering stats. I knew the new bats would have an effect on the game but the pitching stats are amazing. I hope we keep that up and the bats get heated up and this year could be good!
rhfterrier

Next

Return to Baseball