3/18 Furman three days straight

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 3/18 Furman three days straight

Postby bigdogbarking on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 am

BTW, I WAS defending the kid, but more importantly, I was defending the TEAM.
bigdogbarking

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

One good sign is that the pitchers are not getting hammered (unlike last year). Hopefully the hitting and defense will come around and pitching will stay solid.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier FanAttic on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Clearly the bats are having an effect on the pitchers not "getting hammered". The SoCon as a whole is hitting .277 which is about 25 points below where it normally is.

But here's something to "chew on":

I scanned several of the SoCon Team stats and most of them have 13 guys who have more than 10 AB's so far this seaon. We have 10 with more than 10 AB's.
Of the 7 guys with less than 10 AB's (for us), 5 are hitting above .300......not bad for "pinch hit" freshman.
Of the 10 guys with more than 10 AB's (for us) 7 are hitting below .300

Why are we giving so many AB's to the guys that are struggling without some chance for the young guys to prove themselves?
Terrier FanAttic

Postby rhfterrier on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

The same guys keep playing because they are proven players and have shown that they can perform in this league. Also I've heard that the freshman class is fairly weak. Probably a combination of both.
rhfterrier

Postby rhfterrier on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:51 am

^^ well, let me rephrase that. Not that the freshmen are weak, but just not ready to jump in as true freshmen and contribute greatly. Hopefully they can use this year to get stronger and learn if they don't see the field too much. Either way we may start to see some new faces if the bats continue to sputter.
rhfterrier

Previous

Return to Baseball