Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

3/18 Furman three days straight

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Getting down to SoCon business.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 3/18 Furman three days straight

Postby Denise on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:14 am

Hopefully, we will back up good pitching with good D. Don't need a lot of hits, just some key ones. Go Dawgs!
Denise

Postby BGTerrier on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 pm

3-2 Loss in 12 innings.
BGTerrier

Postby rhfterrier on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Tough game...the 3 errors didn't help I'm sure. This team needs to be a lot better on defense to be a consistent team and defense is not about talent. All it takes is handwork and effort. Hopefully we bounce back today.
rhfterrier

Postby BGTerrier on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Fell again to Furman today, 4-2. Hopefully we can win tomorrow and not get swept.
BGTerrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Same song, different verse. We need a coach that can teach our guys the FUNDAMENTALS! Furman is not a great baseball program- there's no way we should be losing to them so much year after year after year. We beat Furman more as a D-2 with Coach Mark Line back when I was going to Wofford (90-94) than we do now!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby johnd7 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:09 pm

you have to give guys that are freshman who can move better an maybe hit better than a guy who hits a buck 50
johnd7

Postby Ruckus on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 pm

You get what you pay for.
I agree that FU should be the one team in the SoCon we should be able to compete against given the similarities in funding (or the lack thereof) but give me one reason why anyone should expect a different result?
Until the admin, the board of trustees, and the Terrier Club and its supporters actually give a crap about the baseball team, this is what we can expect. From funding to hiring decisions.
And yes, the recent teams seem to lack certain fundamentals; and yes, we used to regularly whip purple a** in the 2-5 era with an even greater financial differential than there is now.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:27 am

johnd7 wrote:you have to give guys that are freshman who can move better an maybe hit better than a guy who hits a buck 50

What are you trying to say here?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I think he saying freshman should be playing.
Lost again today. Swept by one of the worst teams in the SoCon.
Pitching seems much better but now we can't score runs.
I hate to early call it but when you get swept in the first conference weekend by a team you really should compete with, it kind takes all that early season hope and confidence away. Hope the team stays positive and turns it around.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

A sweep at the hands of Furman is quite simply just totally unexcusable...nothing else to say.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

In recent years, we have started strong in baseball and then gone downhill in a hurry. Thought this year would be different...still hope it will be.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby rhfterrier on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Well one reason that we seem to play better early is because the competition is not as good as the SoCon. We play a lot of northeast teams early as they travel down south to get out of the cold. Allthough, the last few years we have played better non-conference.. Its just not the same talent as our conference, which is really good.

However, there is no excuse to get swept by one of the lower-tier teams like Furman. This can't happen for us to believe that real progress is happening. Hopefully we will bounce back next weekend.

Interesting that our pitching was very solid this weekend while the bats were nowhere to be found. Always seems that we fail to put both aspects together. I have conceeded the fact that we can expect 2 errors a game on defense and anything less is a success.
rhfterrier

Postby rhfterrier on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm

johnd7,
It's pretty obvious that you are singling out a player with the .150 comment, and I agree that batting a buck fifty will not cut it. He will come around sooner or later. But, may I point out that the same kid has a .315 on base % (not to shabby esp. considering he is hitting so low) and he is the ONLY consistent infielders that we have (0 errors on the season). Not trying to jinx him but the rest of the infield has had its issues so far and I hope he keeps up the hard work and he will start to hit better.
rhfterrier

Postby bigdogbarking on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am

Still early, but getting swept was unexpected. Can't fault the pitching and can't fault the effort. The guys were loose and ready to play. It's still better to get these games out of your system earlier rather than later. They all count the same, but I'd rather be hot later rather than early. If the kid that's hitting .150 were no good, he wouldn't be playing. Simple as that, however, solid defense, good baserunning (scoring from second on a wild pitch) and a leader on the team, that's a little harder to replace. When he came up in the 9th on Saturday, he was pinch hit for. That was the right move. Kid's not a .150 hitter hitting balls hard, just not falling and as a general rule, you don't win with freshman. These kids will stay focused and do well this year, it's already a better season than last year. "Yeah, but Socon games"....still early. If they are getting swept every weekend, then l'll worry.
bigdogbarking

Next

Return to Baseball