Play Ball

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Play Ball

Postby BGTerrier on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:53 pm

rhfterrier, I am not bitter about anything. I was merely stating what I saw in the the games this weekend, most notably the George Mason game. The mistakes in the George Mason game were the same things that have happened in years past. Good teams learn from their mistakes, and don't repeat them. Hopefully this team will learn from their mistakes and not let them happen again. This years team is as talented and experienced and any I've seen, hopefully that will translate on the field. I hope the team has a great year, and wish them nothing but health and safety during the season.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby rhfterrier on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm

BG..I totally agree that great teams learn from their mistakes...and that has been a problem with this program in the past but I guess I was having a "glass half full" attitude whereas your original post seemed "half empty" at best. I also hope this team achieves great things.

Before the weekend, if you told me the terriers would be 3-1 I would have taken that. A great win over a tough Xavier team, 2 "should be wins" vs garbages and a tough loss against a solid GM team. Yes, we have a lot to learn and get better at but I feel this is a very good start and I was at the games as well this weekend.

Maybe we should let this team get a few more games under their belt before we jump to the conclusion that it will be the same team that has performed poorly year after year. Plus I hear that coach i has changed philosophies and now sports a "laissez faire" attitude, so hopefully the team plays more loosely than in the past.

GO TERRIERS!
rhfterrier

Postby BGTerrier on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Hope you're right.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby rhfterrier on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Skeptical...?
rhfterrier

Postby Hooper's Judge on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 pm

BGTerrier wrote:It looks like Wofford is still plagued by the same problems of years past. The culprits being key errors and questionable personnel changes, which put unnecessary pressure on our players to succeed.

UNNECESSARY PRESSURE??? Isn't the key to success in baseball (and life) performing well in high pressure situations? That is what we bring these kids in to do. BG, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. And I see in the box score where we did make a few errors this weekend but I'm glad to see we overcame this "plague" and managed to win 3 out of 4. Errors will happen but above average teams do a great job minimizing post-error damage which it looks like we did in the 3 games we won. You show me an errorless ball club and I'll kiss your Asher Wojciechowski :D
Hooper's Judge

Postby BGTerrier on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 pm

Hooper, yes we do want players who can succeed under pressure. Stuff happens in baseball that no one can prepare for, and we want guys who can compete and succeed. Wofford made a few errors in the first three games, and was able to overcome them and win those games. What I was talking about were the errors and mistakes in George Mason game. The errors I'm talking about were routine plays that you would expect a D-1 player to make 100% of the time. A routine double-play should be turned every time, especially if it ends an inning. Two different times, Wofford had an opportunity to end an inning with a DP and didn't even get one out. This puts unnecessary pressure on the pitcher and defense, when it can and should be avoided. You have a very slim chance of being successful if you play the game like this. It's early in the season, hopefully this won't continue and we'll have a successful season.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Hooper's Judge on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 pm

I understand and agree with your point of view regarding unnecessary pressure stemming from errors, but unfortunately errors happen... even on routine plays. The only way to limit these miscues is through practice, practice, and more practice. And IMO it is the player's responsibility to get in the extra work to improve one's fielding percentage... there is only so much a coach can do. What I was referring to in my previous post was the unnecessary pressure from "questionable personnel changes." Can you explain and possibly give an example of this theory?
Hooper's Judge

Postby BGTerrier on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 pm

The personnel changes I'm referring too deal with the pitching staff, and how they're used. The one in particular from the weekend was pulling Traylor to have Osborne pitch to the lefty hitter. Up to that point, Traylor had baffled George Mason for 3 innings and there was no reason to pull him after he got a quick out to start the 8th inning. While Osborne did get the first batter out, his control was spotty after that walking two and giving up 2 hits. All this was also compounded by the fielding error that should have ended the inning. Osborne is a very good pitcher, but his control comes and goes sometimes because of the way he throws. Because of this, he should be used as a starter and not a reliever. You would like your relievers to come in the game ready to go, and not have to take a batter or two to find their stuff. It's moves by the coach staff like this that leave you shaking your head, wondering what the coaches are really thinking.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby COHAZE on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

There is a very good reason why Traylor could have been pulled. He pitched 3 innings on Friday. He was brought back again on Sunday to throw 3 more. He only threw around 40 pitches Friday, but that's still a little early to bring a kid back this early in the season. So, 40 pitches on Friday, plus 40 more on short rest on Sunday, for a total of 80+. That's enough this early in the season.

I'm not saying that's why he was pulled, but it would certainly justify it. No need to risk injuries in a pretty meaningless game.

BGTerrier wrote:The personnel changes I'm referring too deal with the pitching staff, and how they're used. The one in particular from the weekend was pulling Traylor to have Osborne pitch to the lefty hitter. Up to that point, Traylor had baffled George Mason for 3 innings and there was no reason to pull him after he got a quick out to start the 8th inning.
COHAZE

Postby Hooper's Judge on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Great point COHAZE. I wasn't aware Traylor threw that many pitches this weekend. Also, when playing these meaningless games early in the season it is a great time to work in various pitchers to see who performs well in the spotlight and who doesn't. In the end, we want the guys who would do anything to be put in these high pressure situations, not the ones who view them as "unnecessary."
Hooper's Judge

Postby lawdog on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:09 am

Nice 10-2 win over Butler to get us to 4-1. We need to keep momentum going from early season success, unlike past years. We got 16 hits, held them to only 5...very good sign all around. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2011/ ... 13856.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:49 pm

lawdog wrote:Nice 10-2 win over Butler to get us to 4-1. We need to keep momentum going from early season success, unlike past years. We got 16 hits, held them to only 5...very good sign all around. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2011/ ... 13856.aspx

definitely a nice win. Hopefully, we can play well today.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Good guys won 5-1 today over a good PC team. Cash pitched well.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball