WCU

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

WCU

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Lost to WCU...both teams had lots of turnovers. We got killed on the boards. Rachel Brittenham had 12 steals for Wofford...amazing.http://woffordterriers.com/news/2011/2/ ... 12916.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: WCU

Postby TerrierDad on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:04 pm

I was at the game. Every game it seems to be more poor shots and poor passes, with occasional flashes of brilliance. At times the defense is good, and I know there is talent there. If you want different results, you have to do something different. Someone at Wofford needs to decide what that is.
TerrierDad

Postby MerrierTerrier on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Yup. They have talent. But as Vince Lombardi said; "If you can accept losing, you can't win."
MerrierTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Winning is a habit, but has to be learned. Unfortunately, so is losing.... Very few things in life are more rewarding than being part of a winning team effort. I think our ladies deserve the best chance we can give them to be successful, and so does the school.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:36 am

Daydream...Noah Dahlman (who has a sister who I understand is an excellent hs player) and several other talented Terrier seniors will be looking for jobs soon. Could he or one of the others not help teach the ladies some winning habits. It does appear to me that we have some good talent on the team, and the recruiting trend appears to be encouraging. The part that perhaps bothers me the most about the lady program is that they don't improve, individually or as a team. The stats for senior Mahogany Williams (who was freshman of the year in the SoCon and led the league in blocked shots) have gone down, not improved. Our team each year can have encouraging early wins, then fall into a rut. Building chemistry and winning habits has been lacking; even teams we beat early this year beat us soundly the second time around. That should not happen so often to a team with four seniors and a good number of upperclassmen. The school has a right to expect better from its athletic teams.

I was on good teams and bad teams (long time ago); winning teams are much more satisfying, for everyone. I see signs of demoralization on this one. This is not to suggest that we should necessarily win the league but there is simply no reason not to show some improvement and be more disciplined and competitive (at least .500).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby MerrierTerrier on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 pm

I agree they have the talent to succeed and should be winning many more games. However, something is preventing them from transitioning their skills from High School to College.. Just go down the roster and look at their individual achievements in High School;

- "Member of the Hungarian U-16 and U-18 National teams in 2006, 2007 and 2009 "
- "Ranked the 22nd best prospect in Florida - jersey was retired"
- "Member of a two-time state championship basektball team, 2009 and 2008"
- "Selected to the All-Conference team for the 2007-08 season"
- "Member of high school state champion basketball team in back-to-back years, 2009 and 2010"
- "During her junior season, averaged 26.2ppg, 4apg, 7spg, 7.4rpg and passed the 1,000 point scoring plateau"
- "Named to the all-conference squad each of her four years. Erned a spot on the Las Vegas EA Sports National Elite Camp All-Star Team"
- "Averaged 20 points her junior campaign"
- "Scored 1,000 career points... Averaged 14.3 points, 3.1 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game her senior year"
- "Selected as a McDonald’s All-America nominee as a senior"
- "Listed as a top 100 player in the Southeast by the Southeastern Hoops Report"
- "Named to the 2007 5-A all-state squad by the Arkansas Activities Association"
- "Named All-Region in 2007, 2008 and 2009 ... earned All-State honors in 2009"
- "averaged 12.4ppg and 10rpg" - a double, double every game.

That is talent! They have what they need to be a winning and dangerous team in this Conference. And they all have winning backgrounds. They need to be inspired/driven back to the desire to win and not accept losing.

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." Abraham Lincoln.
MerrierTerrier
Junior Terrier

Return to Women's Basketball