Recruiting News

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Recruiting News

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 am

I saw where we signed Emilio Lebolo from Athens Academy (Georgia) last week in the early signing period. He's 6-10, 230-pounds and averaged 11 points, 7.9 rebounds and four blocked shots last year. On one messageboard they talked about how much he had improved playing summer league ball this year but other than that not much information out there on him.

Any other signings?
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

recruiting

Postby defend/rebound on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:07 am

I have heard they also signed Tim Johnson out of Memphis, a 6'5" small forward and Corey Godzinski out of Clermont, FL, a 6'8" perimeter player to round out the class for the fall. Still have point guard to sign in the spring. Don't know if this is completely accurate, but should be close.
defend/rebound

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:22 am

Thanks D/R. Here's a little blurb I found about Johnson:

http://www.tnprephoops.com/showflat.php ... umber=2146

The hidden gem.

The player that could be considered under the radar.

Coaches spend their nights dreaming of finding the diamond in the rough and stealing him from the big boys.

The sun is shining bright today in Spartanburg, South Carolina as the Terriers of Wofford College have found such a jewel.

Tim Johnson the strong, tough combo forward has committed to play his college ball for Coach Mike Young's Terriers.

Johnson, who plays at ECS for legendary high school mentor Terry Tippett, is a bundle of energy who has size and skill to be a combo on the next level.

Johnson,who played sparingly this summer with the Angels and later with Team Memphis, has a great deal of upside and who better to learn from than Coach Tippett.

Wofford, who plays in the ever tough Southern Conference, feels that Johnson is a major steal on their level and cannot wait to get him on campus and exploit those athletic gifts.

Johnson is the 17th DI commitment from Tennessee and the Class of 2006 is fast approaching the gaudy numbers set forth by their predecessors in the Class of 2005.

Good luck to Tim and his ECS bretheran.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:49 am

It's nice to see Coach Young going afetr some size. Until recently it always seemed like we only had a bunch of mid-size players who were all interchangeable. Lookslike everyone won't be pounding the ball in on us in the future. It really seems like Wofford is poised to make some serious strides on the hardwood.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:20 pm

From the Orlando Sentinel

Godzinski picks Wofford
The East Ridge basketball standout signs a grant-in-aidto play in Division I.

Joe Williams | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted November 15, 2005

CLERMONT -- On Corey Godzinski's checklist of things to do this basketball season, one of the first was to sign with a college.

Check.

Godzinski, East Ridge's 6-foot-9 senior guard, got that priority out of the way Monday when he signed with Wofford College, an NCAA Division I basketball program located in Spartanburg, S.C.

Now he can concentrate on the rest of his checklist -- most of which revolves around helping the Knights prepare for their toughest season to date as they jump into Class 6A.

"I wanted to be able to sign early and now focus on doing the things we need to do to get back to Lakeland [for the state tournament]," said Godzinski, who ranks No. 16 in the senior class of 529 students with a 3.9 grade-point average. "Now we can focus on trying to get back to state."

Godzinski has played a key role in East Ridge's quick climb up the state's basketball ladder.

East Ridge opened as a Class 4A school four years ago and after finishing as district runner-up in its first season and winning a district championship the next year, the Knights won another district title and reached the Class 5A state semifinal game in Lakeland last season.

This year East Ridge has moved into Class 6A and has been placed in what could be the state's toughest district with programs such as Edgewater, Apopka, Ocoee, West Orange and Winter Park.

It will take another monumental effort from Godzinski, Chris Bishop, Richard Jackson and Axel Bermudez to get back to state.

Godzinski averaged 17.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.2 assists last season. The averages speak for Godzinski's all-around play. And he had some outstanding efforts against some of the state's best teams.

He was the MVP at the East Ridge Christmas tournament in a performance that included what was a career-high 35-point game against eighth-ranked Bradenton Lakewood Ranch.

But more crucial was a 31-point game, including 5-of-6 shooting from 3-point range, in the Knights' 74-71 victory over seventh-ranked Brandon in the regional final to put East Ridge into the state tournament for the first time.

In addition to going to Wofford, Godzinski also took official visits to Jacksonville, Chattanooga and George Mason.

"They have been recruiting me for the last year," Godzinski said about Wofford.

"I went up there and compared it to some of the other schools [that were recruiting him] and realized that would be the best fit for me.

"The school has great academics and that was something I was looking for. I am hoping that I can come in and make an impact as a freshman."

East Ridge Coach Mike Clutter said Wofford is getting a player with unbridled potential and the ability to cause match-up problems for defenses.

"It definitely causes problems," Clutter said, "especially with a lot of the teams that we play who have 6-foot or 5-10 guards."

Joe Williams can be reached at jwilliams@orlandosentinel.com.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Men's Basketball