2011 Schedule

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

2011 Schedule

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 pm

2011 schedule just announced. 60% of our games will be home games. We play Clemson, USC Duke and Pittsburgh, among other good teams. Looks like a challenge.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2011 Schedule

Postby BGTerrier on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

This schedule looks challenging and the ability of this team will be tested early. Wofford has some question marks with pitching and offense being the most glaring issues. There will be a serious lack of offense without Mac in the lineup. Hopefully someone can fill the void left by his injury. This year will be the defining season for Coach I as Wofford's head coach. While I thought he should've been fired after last year's pathetic end to the season, he somehow managed to keep his job. Hopefully he's changed his mentality and attidute, to create a positive success driven atmosphere. I just hope this season turns out different for this years seniors, as opposed to what last years seniors put up with. Hopefully this year breaks the trend of the past 3 years, and ends the steep decline of the baseball program.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 am

BGTerrier wrote:This year will be the defining season for Coach I as Wofford's head coach.

I hate to be negative, and this certainly isn't aimed at the players, but it seems to me that Interdonato's coaching abilities have already been well defined. At this point, it's just a question of how long administration is willing to let this expirement play out before pulling the plug. I wish I was wrong, but I know I'm not.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm

rew"I"nd and play
"
american gentleman

Postby Greenville T-Dog Fan on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 pm

AG, like the screen name. We were looking at buying a Wofford Terrier and came accross the name.
Greenville T-Dog Fan
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:16 pm

You will love your new Boston. They are like little people dressed in dog suits( tuxedos at that) ..so much personality and very smart.
american gentleman

Postby walliver on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:48 pm

american gentleman wrote:You will love your new Boston. They are like little people dressed in dog suits( tuxedos at that) ..so much personality and very smart.

They definitely have personality. Unfortunately, our Boston Terrier family member is not always a gentleman.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

yes, ours has been known to clear a room if you know what i mean
american gentleman

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 am

My whole take on this upcoming season is that the playing field is being leveled. Bats are now more restrictive and everywhere this past fall home runs have been harder to come by. I think what this means for our guys is that the offense is going to be a "small ball" type offense. We are in line with that mentality anyway, so it won't affect us as much. That said, let's see how the coaching staff handles the offense. This team is more suited to running and moving runners along then some of the other teams that rely heavily on the long ball.

Now, our pitching is going to dictate this year. Our starters are probably going to be Osbourne, Iarrusi, Cornley and Noordsy or Dolinak. I think from these five will come the starters. Bullpen looks ok. Let's just hope that these guys throw more strikes and worry less about the ball leaving the yard. More first pitch strikes and staying ahead of the batters rather than pitching from behind.

Defense will be okay, however, I worry about the catching. Not because of Roney, but because he is going to be overworked. The kid played great last year, but tailed off at the end like most did. Corner fielders might be a problem, only because big shoes to fill at 3B. Whoever gets third will have to be an above average fielder for this team to succeed. 1B will have to be a little better around the bag to help his fielders, but they should be fine. Middle infielders are good, but I think they would be better off reversed. Outfield defense should be good. Foster can cover a lot of ground and Bennett is a good ballhawk. Let's see who takes over left. I would prefer a better defense than a good offensive player, that's what the DH is for. It will be interesting.

Going out on a limb, but I'm predicting a .500 year. Coaches have to let them run a bit more than other years and pitchers have to throw strikes. Hey, Maddux made the Hall of Fame pitching at 88 MPH, he just threw strikes.

I've said enough, let's hear it from the peanut gallery.
bigdogbarking

Postby BGTerrier on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 pm

The change in bat specs may slightly even out the "on-field performance", but it has no affect on inadequate and below average coaching. This is why Wofford baseball has ruled the bottom of the SoCon the past 3 years. Hopefully Coach I has changed his coaching philosophy from years past, in order to produce the best results on the field. If nothing has changed, we can expect nothing but another 15 wins and no postseason.

Inconsistent play and the inability to play fundamental baseball have been killers for Wofford baseball under Coach I. If the offense is raking, the pitching sucks. If the pitching is shoving, the offense sucks. Defense seemed to be great with big leads, and poor in close games. During my time at Wofford, I can only remember a few games where all aspects were great. If Wofford continues with this inconsistent play, we don't stand a chance in the SoCon.

Like always, pitching will make or break the Terriers this year. While it would be nice to send out 90 mph arms every time, we don't have that luxury. There are more than enough good pitchers on the team for Wofford to be competitive. The most glaring problem I can remember from the past few seasons, is the very poor pitch calling. In stead of using the pitchers strengths to get people out, the coaches called pitches that didn't suit the pitcher or were predictable to the hitter. At times, it seemed the opposing team knew what was coming based on the elementary pitch calling strategy.

I really hope Coach I has changed, because the guys on the team don't deserve another piss-poor coaching effort and a losing season for all they go through. Hopefully this season goes better for this years seniors, as opposed to what happened to the seniors last year. Good luck this year, hopefully it's a winning one.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Sorry guys, but it's hard for me to be optimistic. From where I'm sitting, we still don't have the pitching to compete in the SoCon on a consistent basis. I would have to predict another finish among the bottom 3 in the conference...hope I'm proven wrong.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm

bigdogbarking wrote:My whole take on this upcoming season is that the playing field is being leveled. Bats are now more restrictive and everywhere this past fall home runs have been harder to come by. I think what this means for our guys is that the offense is going to be a "small ball" type offense. We are in line with that mentality anyway, so it won't affect us as much. That said, let's see how the coaching staff handles the offense. This team is more suited to running and moving runners along then some of the other teams that rely heavily on the long ball.

Now, our pitching is going to dictate this year. Our starters are probably going to be Osbourne, Iarrusi, Cornley and Noordsy or Dolinak. I think from these five will come the starters. Bullpen looks ok. Let's just hope that these guys throw more strikes and worry less about the ball leaving the yard. More first pitch strikes and staying ahead of the batters rather than pitching from behind.

Defense will be okay, however, I worry about the catching. Not because of Roney, but because he is going to be overworked. The kid played great last year, but tailed off at the end like most did. Corner fielders might be a problem, only because big shoes to fill at 3B. Whoever gets third will have to be an above average fielder for this team to succeed. 1B will have to be a little better around the bag to help his fielders, but they should be fine. Middle infielders are good, but I think they would be better off reversed. Outfield defense should be good. Foster can cover a lot of ground and Bennett is a good ballhawk. Let's see who takes over left. I would prefer a better defense than a good offensive player, that's what the DH is for. It will be interesting.

Going out on a limb, but I'm predicting a .500 year. Coaches have to let them run a bit more than other years and pitchers have to throw strikes. Hey, Maddux made the Hall of Fame pitching at 88 MPH, he just threw strikes.

I've said enough, let's hear it from the peanut gallery.

With Doyle out, Coach has to find someone to help take the load off of Roney. We have a fr catcher. I hope he is working hard and will be able to catch some games. Will Dolinak be avaiable to play after his surgery?
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 pm

The Terriers regular season will begin at home on Friday, February 18 against Xavier. I hope we will have great weather for opening day. Go Dogs!
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball