Do you like the way Young does scheduling?

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Do you like the way Young does scheduling?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:15 am

Personally, I don't like the baskeball schedule. Every year, just about all of our home games are against NAIA or D-2 teams, many of which I'd never heard of. Plus, we play far too many major-conference teams, which often makes our record look terrible. I know that next year both PC and USC-Upstate are going D-I. I really don't understand why we can't schedule some more non-conference home games against other mid-majors. This would help interest and attendance. Next season, I would like to see USC-Upstate, PC, Gardner-Webb, Coastal Carolina, and Winthrop on our schedule, either home or away. These intrastate games would be fun, and a lot more people are going to show up for a game against USC-Upstate or PC than for a game against Union (KY), and this would get the team pumped up, and they could get some confidence. No matter how we schedule, we're not going to make the NCAA Torney unless we win the SoCon tourney anyway. We're not getting an at-large berth. So we might as well have fun with the schedule. Playing Clemson and USC is okay and is even fun, but why go all the way to Michigan?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:31 am

The problem is noone seems to be willing to play at Wofford so in order to get home games we have to schedule down. Maybe with PC and Upstate moving up we'll see some games with them though. Personally, I hope so.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:34 am

The NCAA allows us to play 4 non-D1 games a year and typically, we schedule all of them. This year, we only have , I think, but that's the first year in recent memory we haven't used our full compliment. While these are usually easy wins, they don't do much for fan or player morale or the respect factor. I'd be OK with playing 1 or 2, but 4 is a bit much. But, the way things seem to be going right now, I don't see us moving away from this. Can you imagine how horrid our alradey bad records the past few years would look if we didn't pick up 4 wins against the non-D1's? Dreadful...

As for the major conference games, we usually play 6-8 and from what I understand, make between $30-$40K plus expenses each time. The net effect of all that is almost as big as a football game aganist a BCS school. Since resoucres are so short, I don't see this going away. Plus, these games draw attention, occasionally we win, help recruiting and look good on a schedule, but, you are right, they hurt the final record.

The one ray of sunlight I see is the growing trend of scheduling other mid-majors and local rivals. I am very pleased with James Madison and Jacksonville State on this years schedule. I was also very happy with the home and home series we had with East Carolina last year. I see no reason that we couldn't play more of these type games against schools more our size and level of play. Not only would these games be more competitive, but they would enhance fan interest and that can only be a good thing.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

1 or 2 is okay

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:44 am

Yes, I think playing 1 or 2 non D-1s would be fine, but make them local teams if possible, like maybe Erskine (like we did this year) and/or Limestone or Newberry. I know, though, that scheduling is not as simple as it sounds. Schools have to be willing to play you and have room on their schedules to do so. I try to keep that in mind.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Why is no one willing to play at Wofford? Does it have something to do with poor attendance?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:37 pm

I'm sure low attendance, gym, and our low RPI are all factors in no one wanting to play at Wofford.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:00 pm

Normally I go right along with you, but I disagree on this assessment, Breed. It's tough for all SoCon schools to schedule I-A Mid majors. Take a look at the SoCon composite schedule. With the exception of early season tournaments, no school plays more than 3 mid-majors. Wofford played JMU and Jacksonville State, and both have or will play at Wofford. We have as many home games against mid majors as the other conference schools. Wofford is a decent opponent for any school. If our RPI was that bad the DI bubble teams (Clemson, Michigan, etc.) wouldn't schedule us.
The other point is almost all the SoCon plays these NAIA, D-II schools for easy wins and home game fillers. King College, Toccoa Falls, Union, Ohio Valley, Asbury, etc. are on more than one SoCon team's schedule. I think there is nothing wrong with our schedule. We just can't win the games we should that are on the schedule. See JMU, WCU, and UNCG.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:21 pm

I see your point about the rest of the conference having problems scheduling mid-majors too. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints about our schedule this year. Jax St, James Madison and UNCC are nice. I wish we could get at least one mid-major a year at home but that's not Coach Young's fault.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Our gym

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:34 pm

BestOfBreed mentioned "gym" as a reason teams won't come to Wofford. What's wrong with the gym? I like the BenJO and think it is a great place to watch a basketball game myself. And didn't USC come to Spartanburg once? I wish we could get Clemson in BenJo one day.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Our gym

Postby TDOG21 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:46 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:BestOfBreed mentioned "gym" as a reason teams won't come to Wofford. What's wrong with the gym? I like the BenJO and think it is a great place to watch a basketball game myself. And didn't USC come to Spartanburg once? I wish we could get Clemson in BenJo one day.

You need to check out Davidson or Winthrop's gym and look at what Charleston is going to do. I agree that Ben Johnson is a good place to see a game, but it is not much better than a good 4-A high school gym. It is just so basic.
TDOG21

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:36 pm

When the original plans were drawn up for the Richardson Building, it was designed to have the ability to add a new gym added onto it on the side opposite the Campus Life building.

I saw the artist's rendition and it was nice. As I remember, it had seating on all four sides of the court which would be a big addition to the atmosphere and ambiance. Heck, even Andrews Fieldhouse has seating behind one of the baskets.

Realistically, I seriously doubt this is still on the horizon considering the current state of things and the lack of tremendous optimism surrounding the program. But, maybe I'm wrong.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:58 pm

Here's a breakthrough scheduling thought I had this afternoon. It would be hard to pull off, but if it happened, it would be awesome.

Here it is... Wofford should develop and host an exempt tournament.

The ability to schedule and extra game would make it more desirable for bigger schools to want to come play a game in Spartanburg since it wouldn't count toward their NCAA maximum. This would help Wofford by improving the home schedule and box office figures.

I would organize it like South Alabama does the Coors Classic at their place. They have two games held on the same day. South Alabama plays in one game against a major conference school and the other game is also a matchup of mid-majors or major conference teams. For example, this season, South Alabama will host Ole Miss and then Alabama will play Southern Mississippi. Last year, South Alabama played Houston and in the other game Bowling Green played Florida State. Before that, South Alabama played Southern Miss while South Carolina played East Carolina. There are certainly other examples of this format, but I am familiar with this one.

I'm not sure what you have to do to get the right to host one of these things, but if possible, it would undoubtably mean a sell out if Wofford was playing an ACC or SEC team and you could easily charge a premium ticket price since the second game would be included. Plus, this many people in one place would create better opportunities for corporate sponsorships, etc. The Terriers might not win the game, but they could definately end up making some good money on the deal in addition to some really good exposure. Besides, wouldn't that be the best game to invite recruits to?

I realize this is very much wishful thinking, but if other mid-major type schools are doing this, why can't we? Wofford doesn't have a lack of creative vision on the academic side, now we just need to focus that positive energy on solving our problems on the athletic side.

Just a crazy thought, but it seems we've been going back and forth for a week saying we need to do something.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball