USC Upstate moving to Division I

General Discussion

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

USC Upstate moving to Division I

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue May 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Joining the Atlantic Sun for the 2007-08 season.

http://www.uscupstate.edu/divisionI/
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby walliver on Wed May 17, 2006 8:04 am

I wonder if we will play them in basketball again. I remember that for a long time after "the branch" went to a 4 year school, Wofford wouldn't play them. We played several home-and-home series while I was in school (c. 1980) but that apparently stopped shortly afterwards. I think an early season game against USC Upstate would draw a lot more fans than our games against Toccoa College.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed May 17, 2006 8:51 am

walliver wrote:I wonder if we will play them in basketball again. I remember that for a long time after "the branch" went to a 4 year school, Wofford wouldn't play them. We played several home-and-home series while I was in school (c. 1980) but that apparently stopped shortly afterwards. I think an early season game against USC Upstate would draw a lot more fans than our games against Toccoa College.

As a DI team it makes more sense to play them now. There is more to gain from playing them as DI. There was a lot more to lose by playing them as DII. If we lost, it hurts the local rep and recruiting, if we won, so what. That is why we play some breather gamse like Toccoa Falls, they are no brainers. Kind of like Carolina playing us in Football this year, they feel confident they will get an easy win.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby walliver on Fri May 19, 2006 9:25 am

Kind of like Carolina playing us in Football this year, they feel confident they will get an easy win.

I was planning on winning that game :D
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:45 pm

A game against Toccoa Falls doesn't even really count. So to me, that makes it kind of pointless. We don't improve as a team by beating up on such an obviously inferior foe, either. But playing local (and now D-1) teams like USC-Upstate and PC would be great. we'd have a great chance to win (though it would not be automatic against either of these programs), and if we did indeed win it would count and help our confidence more. Plus, attendance would probably be much better for these games than a Toccoa Falls game.

And if USC thought we'd be an "easy win", they got fooled. We almost beat them and that would have COMPLETELY ruined their season as well as perhaps their future. Theymay not have received a bowl invite, and Spurrier might have went to Miami or Alabama for real then!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:57 am

I just liked USC-Upstate more when they were USC-Spartanburg. Besides, Rifles can kill Spartans.

But, this would give us ample opportunity to come up with a good nickname for them like the Western Carolina fans calling Appalachian State by "UNC-Tweetsie" and the Appalachian fans responding by calling the Western guys "Cullowhee Community College".

You could say the same for PC, but is it really fair to pick on a team that is nicknamed Blue Hose?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:44 am

You have a good point on PC- I know people who have prematurely aged from having to answer the question "What, exactly, IS a Blue Hose?" over, and over, and over....................

As for the Underperforming Sparklecity 'Cocks, I don't think it would take very long to have a nice, heated little rivalry on our hands if they appeared on our schedule with home and home games.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:16 am

Are they still talking about building a new basketball arena? I know they're planning a new track & field complex and a golf practice facility. If they get a basketball arena then I'm afraid it might not be much of a rivalry.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:45 pm

It may not be much of a rivalry sure enough once Upstate gets their D-1 program firmly established. They have a good program over there, and will no doubt become an Atlantic Sun contender. Meanwhile, we seem to be going nowhere with Young. If we want to beat them, we better get them in the next season or two. I'm pretty sure they will make the NCAAs before Wofford does. I'm a loyal Wofford basketball fan (though Upstate is my second-favorite team), but I think that's reality. I'd love for Wofford to be better, but I just don't see that happening in the long run. They have more funding than us, too, don't they?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:48 pm

A better question might be- "Who DOESN'T have more funding than we do?"
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 pm

GoldandBlack wrote:A better question might be- "Who DOESN'T have more funding than we do?"

Probably Presbyterian.

So maybe I should reverse all those statements I've made about why we shouldn't play them.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations